1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ROMANS 8:5-8 DOES NOT SUPPORT TOTAL INABILITY

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by William C, Feb 21, 2003.

1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Having begun, what? In what?

Arminians believe the beginning of salvation is the "free will" choice of faith. So why didn't Paul say, "Having begun with your faith, are you now being made perfect by works?"

In fact, this would have been the perfect opportunity, if Paul meant by Galatians 3:2 what some interpret it to mean, that is, "Did you receive the spirit by works of the law, or by choosing to have faith?" But it doesn't say that. It says, "or by the hearing OF faith." And it doesn't say "Having begun in faith" it says, says "Having begun in the Spirit."
    </font>[/QUOTE]Nick, don't do that to the text! You left out the very next verse!

"Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?"

HELLO! We received the Spirit because we believe what we heard!

Then look on down in verse 14:
    "..so that by faith we might receive the promise of the Spirit."

Your hermeneutics needs some work.
    </font>[/QUOTE]Your reading comprehension needs some work. I suggest hooked on phonics. Then after that maybe you can graduate from the NIV to look at the actual Greek text and see what it really says. It is "by the hearing of faith", not "believe what you heard".

Verse 14 is fine - you get faith by hearing, and hearing by the utterance of God, so your point is ridiculous.

Perhaps if you work at it hard enough you can receive some understanding by the reading of text.

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Receiving the Holy Spirit is dealing with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, not the initial work of regeneration by the Holy Spirit. Regeneration is a one time work of power by the Holy Spirit. The indwelling of the Holy Spirit is continuous in the Christian's life.

3. William C

William C New Member

I'm very fimilar with the Greek, and the NIV is not an incorrect translation of the author's intent. The Noun form of the word "faith" which is "pistis" is used in this text. The verb form of this word is "pisteo" which is usually translated "believing." They carry the same meaning as the NIV translation renders. But, look at a few other translations of this text:

Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law or by hearing with faith? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now going to be made complete by the flesh? 4 Did you suffer so much for nothing--if in fact it was for nothing? 5 So then, does God supply you with the Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law or by hearing with faith?

This is the clearest rendering. Held by Holman, NAS, &RSV.

But even if we accept your rendering "the hearing of faith?" You view is still unsupported. How does the Spirit come? "By the hearing of faith" or "the hearing with faith." The word "faith" or "pistis" is a third declension noun in the Genitive case which is possessive meaning that the one hearing would possess this faith, this is consistant with verse 14 which says that we receive the Spirit through faith, which we possess before we receive the Spirit!

In other words, the answer to Paul's question, "How did you recieve the Spirit?" Is through the means of faith. Before the Spirit indwells a person he must have faith!

No my point is not ridiculous it is scriptural!

The verse in Romans 10 says, "Then faith is from hearing, and the hearing through a word of Christ."

Faith comes by hearing the gospel message and the gospel message comes from the Word of Christ. Christ is the Word (as John teaches) and he gave us the gospel message which was being spread throughout the world.

What do you think that verse in Romans 10 means? How in the world do you twist it to fit your system?

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The main problem with your analysis, Brother Bill, is that you are mixing up the continuous indwelling of the Holy Spirit after repentance and belief with the powerful one time working of the Holy Spirit in regeneration that precedes repentance and faith.

5. William C

William C New Member

The main problem with your analysis, Brother Bill, is that you are mixing up the continuous indwelling of the Holy Spirit after repentance and belief with the powerful one time working of the Holy Spirit in regeneration that precedes repentance and faith. </font>[/QUOTE]Oh, this is different. You are saying the HS comes to the elect and regenerates them then leaves, then the people have faith, then the Spirit comes to indwell them? Wow, what comic book did you pull that out of?

You are going to have some biblical backing for this "Spirit comes and goes" view.

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, I forgot you consider yourself to be the master Bible teacher in Christianity - the one man gang that is going to wipe Biblical Calvinism off of the face of God's green earth. [​IMG]

I said nothing about the Holy Spirit leaving the new Christian. The Holy Spirit regenerates a dead, spiritually lifeless sinner, which immediately results in the sinner coming to Christ in repentance and faith. The Holy Spirit indwells the new Christian forever and ever.

It is you who is teaching the unBiblical doctrine that the Holy Spirit has nothing to do with a person until after the person saves himself by his own free will and power. It is you who is teaching the unBiblical doctrine that a sinner has to make himself worthy for the Holy Spirit to come and indwell him by repenting and believing by his own free will power(a power which doesn't exist in the first place).

7. William C

William C New Member

I'm sorry, I forgot you consider yourself to be the master Bible teacher in Christianity - the one man gang that is going to wipe Biblical Calvinism off of the face of God's green earth. [​IMG] </font>[/QUOTE]Why are you on this board smarty? Are you trying to wipe Arminianism off the face of the earth? There are a lot more of us so you have a long way to go. [​IMG]

Just because I'm addressing these points with clarity and passion does not mean I have unrealistic goals of destroying Calvinism. I'm just having fun and hoping to just make at least one of you Calvinist out their to stop and consider the error of your ways. I know of one who is seriously questioning his views because of some PM I have received, who knows maybe there will be more.

So your contradicting the scriptures that man will receive the HS through the means of faith. You are saying exactly what the other Calvinists are saying and that is the HS's indwelling precedes faith, that is not biblical! The Holy Spirit calls all to him and indwells those who believe what they hear.

Ken, there you go again misquoting and misappling my beleifs because you can't defeat my real arguments. I've never once said that a person saves himself by his own free will and power. And I've never said the the sinner has to make himself worthy of the HS. Those are your mischaracterizations of a straw man!

We are "enabled" by the call of the HS and the power of the Gospel. And faith is the means through which the Spirit is applied. Just read through Acts sometime and you will see that many people beleived in Christ long before the Spirit indwelled them, same as with the apostles themselves. This faith is a gift of God's grace, no doubt, it's just not limited to "the elect" as you assume.

Please deal with my arguments and not your preconcieved ideas about what you think I believe.

8. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You keep basing your erroneous conclusions on liberal translations of the text based on assumptions about the intent of the author. (Read: What it doesn't say.)

I have a better idea - how about reading what's written, instead of rewriting what's written based on what we assume was the intent?

"a word of Christ" takes liberties with what is written -- in fact, "the word of Christ" took enough liberties, and now you added more by changing it to "a word of Christ". I guess you didn't waste your money on a Bible after all.

The word is "theos" which is God, not Christ. (Given your propensity to embark on meaningless debate tactics, you'll probably bring up the trinity now...) And it is not a reference to Christ being the Word of God, otherwise it would read the "logos" of "theos". But that isn't what it says. It says the utterance "rhema" of God.

Therefore the text is "Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the utterance -- spoken word -- of God".

And the text is "by the hearing of faith", not "believing what you heard".

9. romanbear

romanbear New Member

Hi Npertreley;
    Actually Christ is God. :rolleyes:
    Romanbear

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How sad. :( I will pray that the Holy Spirit will prevent you from leading these people into the errors you teach.

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

No duh.

But what you're saying is that we can indiscriminantly rewrite the Bible and substitute "Christ" for "God" everywhere it says "theos", as if there is no word for "Christ" and we know better than the Holy Spirit when to use one word instead of another.

Oh yeah, Arminianism is based on the assumption that we know better than the Holy Spirit. Never mind.

12. William C

William C New Member

Your comments only reveal you ignorance of the original language. My quote of this passage was directly from the most accepted Greek text. Read this artical:

The Authorized Version of 1611 (King James Version) utilizes the Textus Receptus ("Received Text") as the basis for the Greek New Testament. The Textus Receptus is based upon various Greek texts as well as some influence by the Latin Vulgate. The earliest work being prepared by Desiderius Erasmus, revised by Robert Estienne (better known as Stephanus), and further revised by Theodore Beza. The text produced by each, is substantially the same, there are some variations between their various editions. The KJV utilizes the Stephanus 1550 edition.

Many of the newer more reliable translations are based upon Alexandrian texts. This site also provides the Greek text based upon such Alexandrian texts, noting however that the King James Version is not based upon such texts. The Alexandrian based text that is shown is the combined Westcott-Hort / Nestle-Aland 26th edition variants.

All three of my Greek text and both of my Greek-English Interlinears use the word "Kristos" not "Theo" and the word for "word" or "rhema" is declined as follows:
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lexicon Results for rhema (Strong's 4487)
    Greek for 4487
    Pronunciation Guide
    rhema {hray'-mah}
    TDNT Reference Root Word
    TDNT - 4:69,505 from 4483
    Part of Speech
    n n
    Outline of Biblical Usage
    1) that which is or has been uttered by the living voice, thing spoken, word
    a) any sound produced by the voice and having definite meaning
    b) speech, discourse
    1) what one has said
    c) a series of words joined together into a sentence (a declaration of one's mind made in words)
    1) an utterance
    2) a saying of any sort as a message, a narrative
    a) concerning some occurrence
    2) subject matter of speech, thing spoken of
    a) so far forth as it is a matter of narration
    b) so far as it is a matter of command
    c) a matter of dispute, case at law
    Authorized Version (KJV) Translation Count — Total: 70AV - word 56, saying 9, thing 3, no thing + 3756 1, not tr 1; 70

The translation "utterance" is not used by most reliable scholarly translations. The word "Rhema" connotes more of a spoken audiable word such as Christ's teachings. It is not used as any kind of Spiritual inabiling as you make it seem.

For example here is the same word "rhema" used in Mat 26:75   And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.

English Strong's Greek (Root form) Tense
    And   [2532]   kai  
    Peter   [4074]   Petros  
    remembered   [3415]   mnaomai
    the word [4487]   rhema  
    of Jesus, [2424]   Iesous

Notice Nick it doesn't say the "logos" of Christ. When you speak about things you obviously haven't studied you only reveal your ignorance on the subject.

13. William C

William C New Member

How sad. :( I will pray that the Holy Spirit will prevent you from leading these people into the errors you teach. </font>[/QUOTE]This from a man who completely ignores clear passages of scripture that teach that hell is eternal and concludes that everyone will eventually be saved.

The Universalist is worried that I might lead someone to accept errors?
    [​IMG]

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You're arguing with yourself, Mr. Bill. I don't know of any translations that use the word "utterance". I used it to differentiate it between spoken word (as you confirmed as the meaning) and written word (logos, which as you confirmed is not what it says).

That's what an utterance is. A spoken word. Thanks for reinforcing that for me.

15. William C

William C New Member

Like I stated the word faith is a Third Declention Noun in the Genitive case which mean it is possessive.

Therefore, the best rendering of this text is "by hearing with faith." This shows in intent of the authors use of the Genitive case. "hearing of Faith" Is not incorrect but it is not very clear in English. It makes it sound as if the faith is doing the hearing when in reality it's Paul audience that is doing the hearing with faith. I know you would rather leave this text where the intent is not as clearly discerned for your own theological purposes, but sorry it doesn't work that way.

What do you think "by hearing of Faith" means if it is not refering to the faith in the lives of those who hear?

Either way the Spirit doesn't come until after the hearing and the faith. So what is your point?

16. npetreley

npetreley New Member

My point is that the text does not say "believing what you heard", of which you finally backed off.

That puts the emphasis on "believing" and implies not only that a person can believe of their own free will, but that the pivotal issue is believing, not hearing.

But the Bible consistently makes the pivotal issue "hearing". He who has ears to hear... But God has not given them ears to hear... Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the spoken word of God. And so on.

Even if you want to accept the Alexandrian text, the verse still does not say "faith comes by hearing the spoken word of Christ" it says "faith comes by hearing, and HEARING COMES BY THE SPOKEN WORD OF GOD/CHRIST."

You can't believe what you can't hear, and you can't hear unless God says so. This is a foundational truth to which you testify daily.

17. William C

William C New Member

The spoken word of who? Christ who is the first to give the message [spoken word] of the gospel which is heard by the world through the apostles which produces faith in Christ to those that hear.

"Rom 10:17 So faith {comes} from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ." NASB

Yet faith comes from listening to this message of good news--the Good News about Christ. NLT

Rom 10:17 So belief [cometh] of hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. ASV

Rom 10:17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes by the preaching of Christ. RSV

18. William C

William C New Member

And God said through the inspiration of Paul.

Act 28:28
    Therefore, let it be known to you that this saving work of God has been sent to the Gentiles; they will hear!"

The Gentiles will hear, because GOD SAYS SO!

(Don't you hate when your words come back to bite you [​IMG] )

19. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Right. Except for the difference in the word Christ, that's what the text says.

Wrong. This is an interpretation of the text. You claim it is an accurate interpretation, but it is an interpretation nevertheless. It is not what the text actually says.

Right once again, more or less.

Wrong. This, again, is an interpretation, not the text.

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Yes, it can be uncomfortable. Why, has it happened to me yet outside your vivid imagination?