1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 9 Isn't What You Think It Is

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by CJP69, May 16, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

Election is individual. It pertains to Christ because He is the Elect.

We are the elect by virtue of our place in Him.

I think this is obvious given that Scripture never speaks of a man being elected to salvation who is lost.

By faith we believe and we are then among the elect because we are in Christ, chosen in Him.

It is like Israel being God's elect. Sure, some were born into the nationality. But not all were true. And then we have foreigners who became a part of Israel (indeed, sometimes a hero of the faith....like Ruth).

The elect were not so because God picked them out individually but because they were a part of Israel.

When I was lost I was not elect. When I believed I was elect by virtue of my position in Christ (in the Elect).

The problem with Calvinism is not its logic. The probkem is it starts with the philosophical concept of the will (of God and of Man) rather than starting with Christ.

If one starts with Christ one ends with Christ.

Where one ends depends on where one starts.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes Christ was chosen, to be the Lamb of God, the Redeemer.

Yes, when Christ was chosen as Redeemer, anyone subsequently redeems was chosen corporately when He was chosen before creation.

We, born anew believers, are elect individuals. As elect individuals we have been placed spiritually into Christ. Since Christ died, no one is elect but not transferred, because when God chooses an individual He choice is effected by setting the person apart in Christ.

Everyone when elected for salvation is lost, unregenerate and heading for destruction at the time of election.

The elect Gentiles are grafted into the natural tree, thus becoming descendants of Abraham.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 clearly teaches those chosen for salvation were not saved before they were chosen.
    They were not in Christ before they were chosen. You do not choose to save saved people, you choose to save unsaved people.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 clearly teaches the means by when we were chosen, through the sanctification by the Spirit, we were transferred out of being in Adam and into being in Christ. We were set apart in Christ.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 clearly teaches the basis of our election, through faith in the truth, when God credits our faith as righteous.

3. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.

But on a side note, I'm not sure what you mean by "interprets"...
    I can tell you that my understanding of the Bible was arrived at over decades, but it's based on what is written, not on anyone's "interpretation".

To me, God's word isn't like a language that needs "interpretation"...
    It's a book containing His inspired words that we, as His children, believe.
    In some ways I agree with you here, and in others I do not.
    Once again, I agree with you here as well...
    Only I don't drawn on other passages in order to arrive at an understanding of Romans 9.

I understand it based on what it says, and what was said in the prior chapters.

#23 Dave G, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
  4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not being a "Calvinist" ( but agreeing with them on what the Bible says in a great many areas ), I can say this:

Where "logic" ( what, to God, is our human faulty understanding of Him and His ways ) ends, God's word begins.
    That is what faith is about, is it not?

Believing what is written, not what we as God's children have been told about it by other men;
    In other words, we bring nothing to the "table" when it comes to God teaching us and shaping our minds, except empty hands and empty presuppositions, do we not?
    Since Paul only put to pen and paper what the Lord moved him to write, then what is written ( whether it seems "schizophrenic" to us or not ), is what is to be believed...
    After all, it is God's word that we trust, because God, who cannot lie, tells us to ( Proverbs 3:5-6 ).
    As @kyredneck stated, I think that you're missing a whole lot that is in this chapter, because it seems to me as if you're seeking to summarize it, instead of following it line by line.
    I urge you to go back and read it again, and see if you pick up on the fact that Gentiles and Jews are both mentioned in detail, as well as God making us either vessels of wrath or vessels of mercy...
    Which is what all believers are:

Vessels of mercy afore prepared unto glory. :)

May He bless you geatly in your studies.

#24 Dave G, May 20, 2024
    Last edited: May 20, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

The Context of this tretise from Romans 7:1, (for I speak to those who know the law) through Rom 11:12 where he says this;

Now if the fall of them (he is speaking about Israel) be the riches of the world (kosmos), and the diminishing of them (Israel) the riches of the gentiles; how much more their (Israel's) fulness?

He is finished speaking to those who know the law in particular and look what he says in the next verse.

For I speak to you gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the gentiles, I magnify my office. 14 if by any means I may provoke to emulation (Jealousy) them which are my flesh, and might save some of them. 15 for if the casting away of them be the reconciling of the world, what shall the receiving of them be but life from the dead?

One must be a student of the OT and a believer of it to understand this. Paul is a Jew. This means he is of Benjamin, one of the two southern tribes of the children of Israel. The gentiles who are of his flesh here are those who were of the ten tribes of Israel who were cut off from God about 722 BC and God said they were not his people and he would not be their God, neither would he show mercy to them until he could call them the sons of God. That could not happen until the fulfillment of the prophecies concerning the Messiah who would come and take away their sins and they could experince a new birth, not of Abraham but of God.He links this whole presentation to quotes of Hosea, who was a contemporary of Isiaih. Isaiah at this same time wrote the prophecies of Jerusalem and Judah and focused much of his attention on the last days, that is the last three 1000 year days as God counts days.

When the covenant people of God are cut off from their covenants by being cast out of their land and strangers in the land to which they were driven they are reckoned by God as being as gentiles, dead and separated from him. The only reason God has been gracious to gentiles all over the world who have resisted his grace to us is because Jews and Israelites are scattered all over the world. He made a blanket promise to all the world so he can save his covenanted people, not as a nation, but as individuals.The nation of Judah, to whom Jesus came were cast out of their land in 70 AD after God gave them 40 years probation time to repent. They did not and God has raised up and formed a gentile bride from the masses who will be born agin by receiving Jesus Christ as savior.

The people in the regions that we now call Turkey in Asia Minor is where these people were in the time of the writing of the New Testament. Peter preached to the circumcision and Paul preached to all other gentiles as the beginning of the church of Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
  6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...in no way refutes the fact that God has predestinated and elected a people "not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles".

There is no respect of persons with God. 2:11

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Hos 8:8 Israel is swallowed up: now shall they be among the Gentiles as a vessel wherein is no pleasure.
    Hos 8:12 I have written to him the great things of my law, but they were counted as a strange thing.
    Acts 15:14 Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
    Acts 15:8 And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Spirit, even as he did unto us;

James 1:1 is interesting as is James 1:18 considered with Rev 7:4-8 and Rev 14:1-4 ----------------- firstfruit

Sometime I am not sure what to think!

8. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    kyredneck, you are dead wrong about that. I say that hoping to cause you to think. God's eternal plan is accomplished through his people Israel and God had respect unto them. It was they who was bidden to the marriage supper at the end of the day at supper time, and they would not come. The householder reacted to this by going to the highways and hedges to compel individuals to come in so his house would be full. Those who come would be the bride but the one condition, they could not come in filthy rags, they must have on a wedding garment supplied by the bridegroom. The guests will be the bride. This is the teaching of Jesus in his parables.

Ex 2:25 And God looked upon the children of Israel, and God had respect unto them.

2Ki 13:23 And the LORD was gracious unto them, and had compassion on them, and had respect unto them, because of his covenant with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and would not destroy them, neither cast he them from his presence as yet.

God warns us gentiles to not puff ourselves up because of his mercy and grace to us. God has not stopped loving Israel because of her rebellion. He will yet saves her nationally. We are at the wedding because Israel would not come. What a great privilege we have to be there. Praise God.

Ho 11:1 When Israel was a child, then I loved him, and called my son out of Egypt.

He also called his Son, Jesus, out of Egypt.

Ignore the OT and you will not see the truths of the NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romans 9:12 10 And not only this, but when Rebecca also had conceived by one man, even by our father Isaac 11 (for the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls), 12 it was said to her, “The older shall serve the younger.”

This passage, both here and in Genesis 25 is not talking about the two boys. We know this for two reasons.

1. Esau, the older of the two boys, never served Jacob.
    2. The scripture itself explicitly says that it isn't talking about the two boys but about the nations that would come from them, which is stated in the same sentence that says "the older shall serve the younger"....

Genesis 25:23 And the Lord said to her: “Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger.”

10. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It isn't merely "often" misused and a proof-text, it is their heavy artillery! This chapter is where they go to "prove" predestination and the passage isn't even talking about predestination at all! In fact, quite the opposite! God is explaining why Israel, instead of getting their promised kingdom in timing with long standing prophecy, has been gut off!

11. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't read too much into it. The post itself is an example of what I'm talking about. The bible itself explains what it means, especially in the major points.

In some ways I agree with you here, and in others I do not.

Once again, I agree with you here as well...
    Only I don't drawn on other passages in order to arrive at an understanding of Romans 9.

I understand it based on what it says, and what was said in the prior chapters.[/QUOTE]
    Romans 9 cannot be understood without drawing on other passages because it itself draws on other passages.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, I am not.

You are a KJVO Dispensationalist, and I am not wrong that there is no respect of persons with God and that He predestinated and elected a people not from the Jews only, but also from the Gentiles.

Save your essays for someone else, I don't even read them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JD731

JD731 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    yes you are dead wrong. Have you ever considered how conflicted your argument is to argue on the one hand that you were predestined by God’s choice before creation of you over someone he did not choose and on the other to argue that God is no respecter of persons.

Maybe you don’t actually believe that. I hope not.

14. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Calvinism is false - period.

That is to say that every single belief, doctrine and practice that is distinctively Calvinist is false. It is based on Platonic philosophy from beginning to end.

This is literally a nonsensical statement. There can be no "end" to logic. You would need logic to determine where logic ended and something else began, whatever else that could be. It most certainly could not be the bible nor God Himself as He is Logic itself (John 1). You cannot read the bible without logic, you cannot understand a single doctrine nor even one foundational precept of a doctrine without logic. Neither could you reject or even attempt to falsify any doctrine, including doctrines that undermine the veracity of logic, without using logic to do it.

NO! It absolutely is not about believing something in spite of it being irrational (i.e. not logical)! If that were the case then how would you ever be able to tell someone that what they believe is false? "Because the bible says so!" You might say. Well, you have to use logic to read and understand the bible, Dave. You can't even get so far as to form the "F" sound in the word "False" without using logic to do it.

Faith is just the opposite of what you suggest. Faith is one's willingness to accept and act on the substantive evidence of things hoped for but not seen. If that sounds familiar its because its simply a rewording of a famous passage in Hebrews 11.

You can neither write it nor can what is written be read without using logic to do it. Logic isn't the problem underlying bad teaching. Indeed, it is quite the opposite! If people refused to accept the irrational a truth, the church would be in far better shape than its in right now and the bible would be far easier to understand and to preach and for unbelievers to accept.

No, we do not!

That's confusing because you used a double negative there but no, it is not true that we bring nothing to the table. God calls to us and says,"Come! Let us reason together." and proclaims that He sets before us life and death, good and evil and tells us to choose life. He doesn't say that He's chosen it for us since before time began. That's a pagan idea that Aristotle taught and that Augustine imported into the Catholic church and which survived the Reformation (Luther was an Augustinian monk).

We know that it is, in fact, NOT schizophrenic precisely for the reason you give. If we think it is, it is our doctrine that in error and not the scripture but it is precisely sound reason that allows us to detect it. If we accept the "schizophrenic" as truth then anything goes and we've abandoned the only tool we have by which to compare a claim with the standard which is God's word.

God's word is the standard, logic is the tool we use to compare some claim to that standard. Again, you can't even read the bible without using logic to do it, much less understand it well enough to formulate a doctrine that you believe is consistent with that reading.

It is not intended to be "followed line by line". It was a letter written by Paul to the church in Rome and was and is intended to be read as just that.

I have read the chapter and the entire book of Romans dozens, perhaps hundreds, of times. Romans 9 IS talking about Israel being cut off from their covenant relationship with God and has been consigned to unbelief along with the Gentiles and why God doing that is justified in having done so. That's what the chapter is about and there isn't anyway to get anything else out of it without ignoring the context, bringing your doctrine with you and reading it into the text.

Indeed, the cutting off of Israel is a key aspect of the New Testament. Without it, the very existence of Paul's ministry makes no sense and the New Testament is full to the brim with contradictory teachings.

• Like Like x 1
  15. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If Calvinism is true then God has predestined me to believe in free will.

16. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The following is a re-post of post 31. I screwed up the formatting and it won't let me edit it.....

Don't read too much into it. The post itself is an example of what I'm talking about. The bible itself explains what it means, especially in the major points.

Romans 9 cannot be understood without drawing on other passages because it itself draws on other passages.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YES! I HAVE! The question and the answer are found in the chapter!

11 for the children being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth,
    12 it was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
    13 Even as it is written, Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.
    14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
    15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.
    16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that hath mercy. Ro 9

• Like Like x 1
  18. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is blasphemy. God is not arbitrary and this passage DOES NOT teach that He is!

That passage, as I have no repeatedly demonstrated is NOT TALKING ABOUT THOSE TWO UNBORN BABIES!!!!!

God does NOT hate unborn babies!!!!

That passage and the passage in Genesis 25 which it is referring to, is talking about the two nations that would come from those boys as the passage itself explicitly states and which neither you, nor anyone else on this website, has even acknowledged, never mind responded to, which is no surprise really because how could you respond except to drop your blasphemous Calvinism? You couldn't! Your only option is to close your eyes, plug your ears and scream "Blah blah blah" so as not to have the truth of scripture touch your mind!

The biblical facts are that the younger of those to boys was never served by his elder brother and, as I just said, the passage itself explains that it isn't talking about the two boys anyway...

Genesis 25:23 And the Lord said to her: “Two nations are in your womb, Two peoples shall be separated from your body; One people shall be stronger than the other, And the older shall serve the younger.”

19. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct. In no way is it random. It's according to the purpose of God.

11 for the children being not yet born, neither having done anything good or bad, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth,
    17 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, For this very purpose did I raise thee up, that I might show in thee my power, and that my name might be published abroad in all the earth.
    18 So then he hath mercy on whom he will, and whom he will be hardeneth. Ro 9

• Like Like x 1
  20. CJP69

CJP69 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Random is not a synonym of arbitrary!

Calvinism (and it's ilk) specifically and explicitly teach that God is arbitrary....

“God is moved to mercy for no other reason but that he wills to be merciful.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 8)

“… predestination to glory is the cause of predestination to grace, rather than the converse.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 9)

“Therefore, those whom God passes over, he condemns; and this he does for no other reason than that he wills to exclude them from the inheritance which he predestines for his own children.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 23, Paragraph 1)

“We cannot assign any reason for his bestowing mercy on his people, but just as it so pleases him, neither can we have any reason for his reprobating others but his will.” (John Calvin, Institutes of Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 22, Paragraph 11)​

The single undeniable truth that God is just is sufficient to dispel all such foolishness. God is the OPPOSITE of arbitrary! God is just! Therefore, Calvinism is false!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.