1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald Reagan and KJV

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by av1611jim, Nov 8, 2004.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

:rolleyes:
    Like you even have a clue.

(Now that was hostile.)

In His service;
    Jim

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I feel exactly the same way.
    My family and I love the Christmas story readings from the the King James Bible.

Personally I cherish and have memorized hundreds (at least) verses of Scripture from the KJV.

I bring my 1769 KJV to Church, sometimes I bring my 1611 facsimile, sometimes both.

HankD

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Thank you Hank. You are a very gracious man. This is the kind of thing I was looking for.
    I guess I offered it up as a kind of edifying thingy-ma-jig.
    Many folks here have stated they loved Ronald Reagan, and I thought it would be uplifting to give his own words about the Bible. In the article, he quoted someone somewhere who said we should be taking people to the Bible rather than taking the Bible to people. I liked that.

In His service;
    Jim

4. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand.
    Many on both sides here have been burned by wandering into a seemingly benign post.

Seems now we almost always (myself included) suspect a trap of some sort (well, it is a debate forum).

HankD

5. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So President Reagan loved the KJV, big deal. So do I, but I also love the NKJV and the NASB. Love for something doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a liking for something else as well. I love Hostess Ho-Ho's, but I'm not a "Ho-Ho Onlyist." I also have a liking for Little Debbie Swiss Rolls.

Okay, maybe not the world's best analogy, but you get my meaning.

God Bless!!!

Adam [​IMG]

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right! But I'll take an Italian Canoli (minus the rum of course) over Little Debbie Swiss rolls any day.

HankD

7. KJVBibleThumper

KJVBibleThumper New Member

You know, I have been absent for a while because of school and other obligations, but nothing has changed in that time(big surprise).
    Here we have robycop3 telling all and sundry that in order to have an opinion that counts you must be an "expert", thus joining the crowd that says that in order to understand the Bible you must study and study for years and have the whole alphabet after your name. Apparently elements of Roman Catholicsm has crept in unawares on here. I have argued with a catholic recently and amazingly enough he trusts what the "high and mighty" (aka the pope) says because he an "expert",over what the Bible says. After all you couldnt expect an ordinary layman to be able to have an opinion on the subject could you now? However, I take it that robycop3 has impressive credentials to be able to spout off the way he does about being an "expert". Undoubtedly he is president of Oxford college or something equally important. if he is not then by his own addmission, his opinion is totally worthless and he should just be quiet.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Definitely. The RCC was one version only for about a thousand years. They taught that only the most spiritual could understand the Bible and that it was an affront to God to put the Bible into language that people fully understood.

Yes. KJVOnlyism has something in common with medival RCC.
    It isn't that he is an "expert" but rather that he supposedly holds the office of "Vicar of Christ". They believe he speaks inspired revelation from God when he makes "ex cathedra" statements... sort of like KJVO's think the KJV translators were inspired to translate the perfect text- except the Pope actually adds things that were never there. He actually believes in the error himself (the KJV translators weren't KJVO).

Every Christian should endeavor to become an expert on the Bible and in the Bible. Your disdain for "experts" just demonstrates that you don't have an honest answer for the complete refutation of KJVOnlyism.

9. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And here we have Thumper with no contribution other than issuing ad hominems, sarcasm and innuendo.

Why not just answer his challenges and if he's wrong show him where he is wrong without the personal attack?

HankD