1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Russia Attacking Ukraine Ships

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by InTheLight, Nov 26, 2018.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's been over 24 hours since the news broke that Russia was blockading Ukraine ships access to the Azov Sea. Russia has also opened fire on three Ukraine ships, rammed another one, and killed several Ukrainian sailors.

Ukraine has asked for an emergency session of the UN Security Council and is considering martial law. They are massing their army on the borders. Russia is claiming that Ukraine is the provocateur.

Not a peep from the White House. I'm a bit concerned that President Trump has not made a statement. Maybe the administration is still gathering intelligence. Let's see what happens, but so far, I'm not being instilled with confidence by Trump's inaction.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He will respond. At the right time.

War - its like we are warned about marriage - not to be lightly entered into.

3. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    June 9, 2018

REPORTER: Do you think that Crimea should be recognized as Russian (inaudible)?

PRESIDENT TRUMP: Well, you know, you have to ask President Obama, because he was the one that let Crimea get away. That was during his administration. And he was the one that let Russia go and spend a lot of money on Crimea, because they’ve spent a lot of money on rebuilding it. I guess they have their submarine port there and such. But Crimea was let go during the Obama administration. And, you know, Obama can say all he wants, but he allowed Russia to take Crimea. I may have had a much different attitude.

Trump: Obama Allowed Russia To Take Crimea, I May Have Had A Much Different Attitude

4. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Be assured that the Baltic Sea states are watching how this plays.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Russia controls both sides of the only entrance (the Kerch Strait) to the Sea of Azov. The Kerch Strait is 1.9-9.3 miles wide so there is no room for any "international" waters.

6. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was watching many hours of video from Stephen Kotkin, a Princeton professor who has become the major biographer of Stalin due to his access to tens of thousands of pages of newly declassified documents. He has said that if we want to deal with the Ukraine we should go to Switzerland because that is where their money is due to hopeless corruption there.

7. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And then what? Swiss banks do not have a reputation for handing over their customer's money.

8. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They don't have a real government in the Ukraine I guess--just a bunch of crooks who are stealing everything and sending the money to Switzerland. We are a declining military power with a small army and navy and a NATO alliance that doesn't have enough money to buy weapons. How are we going to fight China, Russia, and Islam all at once? Of those three groups, Russia is the only one who might be an ally against both China and Islam. Stephen Kotkin also says that Russia has a state department, unlike the US.

#8 church mouse guy, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  9. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So far, I've been happier with his response than Obama's. The anti-tank weapons which were needed at the beginning to defeat the Russian Tanks at the airport didn't happen until Trump.

Advanced U.S. missile system arrives in Ukraine, Kiev confirms

Obama literally told the Ukrainians to do absolutely nothing. This ended up turning Eastern Ukraine into a Hell Hole. Foreign policy for Ukraine under Obama was worse than chicken-speech Bush. George W. Bush's response could be said to be even worse for our fighting Ally Georgia. I still dislike voting Republican because so many of them still worship W.

Putin is a Bully - a real one. Not the fake that people make Trump out to be. Putin is probing to see if anyone will actually do anything with this latest attack. He is checking to see if he can get away with more. He's a coward by nature and I doubt that he will start a full-scale war with the U.S. unless he feels backed into a corner.

10. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Also I am getting tired of the Media calling Russian Regulars, Russian-Backed Separatists.

11. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe there is as much corruption there now as there use to be. If you were there before and after, you would have seen a big difference.

12. MartyF

MartyF Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

I think he is being truthful. Possession is 9/10s of the law. It's much easier to hold onto something than to get something back.

Obama's state department blew it.

13. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, Professor Kotkin's statement is a year old, but I don't see how we do anything about Russia with Mueller sitting out there investigating Russia and in effect in control of Russian policy. No matter what the US would do, Mueller would say that it was wrong and would run for President as a Democrat in 2020.

At any rate, our military is too small and our navy is minuscule. Islam is on the march worldwide against us and Latin America is poised to send tens of millions of young men against us. Pope Francis hates us and is rallying the left wing in Europe against us. China just stole a chip that costs one of our corporations billions to develop. They are continuing to fortify and build artificial islands in the South China Sea to choke off our navy.

Also, the Democrats will likely impeach Trump in January so there is no consensus at home. The Democrats have unleashed physical attacks against the GOP at every turn. It is unlikely that the Dems would support Trump on anything.

As long as Mueller controls Russian policy, Putin has a free pass in the Ukraine.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right. And It will be surprising how bold he will be when he is able to make a strong alliance with China.

15. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2003 treaty between Russia and Ukraine:

FAOLex Detail

The Sea of Azov and the Kerch Strait are Russian and Ukrainian inland waters, says a treaty between the Russian Federation and Ukraine on partnerly use of the Sea of Azov and the Kerch Strait. It was signed to sum up negotiations between the Presidents of Ukraine and Russia

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Russia sees that China is violating international law in the South China Sea.

It's Mueller's move now. Europe is not going to do anything. Putin is also putting state of the art eavesdropping equipment in the old Soviet naval base in Cuba to monitor American communications. Russia is a failing country and Mueller is not up to the job of handling Russia but refuses to step aside for domestic Democrat political reasons. The Democrats will not support any action against Russia. They still want a reset as Hillary suggested a few years ago. The Clintons got millions from Putin.