1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RV of 1881 - Ever been updated/revised?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by mesly, Oct 19, 2003.

1. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just received a copy of the Revised Version from 1881. It has made for an interesting read - reads very much like the KJV.

The RV seems to have been totally abandoned as a translation. The ASV of 1901 was an update to the RV, but from what I understand made some substantial changes which, one could consider it as another translation.

The Revised Standard Version (RSV), 1952, was an update to the ASV of 1901.

The New American Standard (NASB), 1973, was an update to the ASV of 1901.

The New Revised Standard Version (NRSV), 1989, was an update to the RSV of 1952.

The English Standard Version (ESV), 2001, was an update to the RSV of 1952.

Question: Has there been any update/revision to the RV itself since 1881? Is any of my information (above) incorrect, if so, please correct me.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Strictly speaking, the ASV was not an update of the RV but its American counterpart. There were disagreements between the British and American scholars over certain renderings, and so the American scholars produced their own edition. I'm not aware of any revision of the RV that you didn't mention.

3. Nomad

Nomad New Member

Sorry. Double post.

4. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with your statement about the ASV. Actually, I think everything I listed was a revision of the ASV, not the RV. I find it fascinating that I cannot find an update/revison of the RV? Since the RV was an officially authorized "update" of the KJV, is it still under copyright in the UK? That might explain why it has never been updated.

Thanks for the reply.

Michael

5. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

How could you double post? You are Nomad. You are perfect.

Did you recognize the reference? :D

6. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist

</font>[/QUOTE]You're not taking him on a "trek" are you? [​IMG]

7. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I agree with your statement about the ASV. Actually, I think everything I listed was a revision of the ASV, not the RV. I find it fascinating that I cannot find an update/revison of the RV? Since the RV was an officially authorized "update" of the KJV, is it still under copyright in the UK? That might explain why it has never been updated.

Thanks for the reply.

Michael
    </font>[/QUOTE]The English Revised Version of 1885 is still in print alongside the KJV, but as you noted, it seems impossible to find a revision of that revision.

The closest I came was with its authorized replacement.

In 1946, the Church of England, the Church of Scotland, and Methodist, Baptist, and Congregational churches initiated plans for a new Bible translation, joined by the Presbyterian Church of England, the Society of Friends, the Churches in Wales, the Churches in Ireland, and the British and Foreign Bible Societies. English and Scottish Catholic observers were present when work commenced in 1948. The NT came out in 1961, and the entire Bible in 1970.

The NEB was revised by a committee representing the above denominations, as well as the Roman Catholic Church, the United Reformed Church, the Moravian Church, and the Salvation Army. The Revised English Bible came out in 1989.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When attending college/seminary in the 60's, the RSV was looked upon as the evil liberal translation and the ASV1901 as the best conservative translation.

While the KJV1769 was still used as a general bible for preaching, the theolog would use the the ASV1901. And this was the MOST CONSERVATIVE of the Northern/Conservative Baptists.

Always helped me to keep the two trains of translation apart! RSV = Bad, ASV = Good!!

9. Nomad

Nomad New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Yep. "The Changeling." Season two of classic Star Trek.

And I am perfect. Thanks for noticing.
    [​IMG]

10. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Maybe I can change from Baptist in Richmond to Vger.....

11. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hi, Michael...

I was shocked and amazed, dazed and confused when I ran across this post. I have looked high and low, here, there and everywhere for a print or online version of the RV for some time now. I was truly astounded to read your post. I once held a copy of a parallel KJV/RV, but it was an old Bible printed here in the US, and there were several pages missing. Could you point me in the right direction?

God bless you!

12. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Keith,

Looks like we are neighbors - I am a few miles to your north in Dayton, OH.

I picked up my copy of the RV, printed in 1903, on Ebay! It is amazing what people are selling. You may have to check out Ebay for a few weeks, but one will show up eventually.

God bless,
    Michael

13. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Thanks, Michael! I'll have to check it out...