1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saban to the Crimson Tide???

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by blackbird, Jan 3, 2007.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

All you "Tide" fans out there ---- what say??

Visions of BCS and National Championship yet??

Its a short "Pipe Dream" dudes

He stayed 4 years at LSU

How long with the Dolphins???

How long you think he'll be with the Tide before $$$$$$$$'s(and lots of it) come knockin' on his door again from somewhere else??

Not near long enough to creat another "Legend" like the one you guys love so dear!!!!

I say three years tops ---- and he'll leave Tuscaloosa with "The Dough!!"

2. rbell

rbell Active Member

come, now, Blackbird...it's obvious you don't understand Alabama. There's NO CHANCE this guy would bail in three years from Mecca.

It'll take four.

3. Paladin

Paladin New Member

the Bammers finally have a head coach, Saban, but how much time will he be given to win the SEC and play in the BCS championship. For the money, supposedly being paid, 3 years would appear to be a reasonable time frame. However, it ain't gonna happen, Florida, Auburn, LSU, Georgia and Tennessee appear loaded for the next 3 seasons and Bama will not win the SEC title or even the Western Conference title.

Whle Saban is credited with winning the 2003 BCS Championship over Oklahoma(who were crushed by Kansas State 35-7 in the Big 12 chamionship game), the SC Trojans were ranked #1 in the AP poll and retained that position by whipping Michigan 28-14 in the Rose Bowl. The AP poll is the most credible poll for college football. Also, the AP will not allow their poll to be used in determining BSC participants. How much credibility is there in the BSC year in and year?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2718488

4. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

When Mississippi State "accidently" beat the Tide ---- not one word was said about Shula getting his "walkin' papers"

But when Auburn "she-lacked" them AGAIN . . . .

There the line will be drawn for Saban --- just like the rest of um

If you can't beat Auburn --- we don't want 'cha!!!

Well----there ain't a doubt that Saban can put together a team that can and WILL beat Auburn ---- and when THAT happens --- it will be Auburn fans "boo-hooin'" and wantin' to get rid of Tuberville 'cause he can't beat Alabama ---- the stupid Alabama/Auburn hatred thats been going on since Bear coached Alabama and Jordan coached Auburn!!!

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Why would Saban go from Miami to Tuscaloosa??

Heard someone say Saban had forty million reasons for leavi...

Ed

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Is there any truth to the rumor that today's top name coaches all keep both Atlas Van Lines and Brink's Armored Car on "speed dial"?

:rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Saban is a blatant liar, and I hope he has no success at 'bama. If I were a Tide fan, I would want someone with more character coaching my team. Coaches are a dime a dozen, coaches with character are even rarer. Butch Davis is along the same lines, and he had no success in Cleveland, not that it's the same situation.

8. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No kidding, Webdog.

Nick Saban makes Bill Clinton look like George Washington :).

9. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I REPEAT THERE IS NO WAY ON EARTH THAT I AM EVER GOING TO BE CAUGHT DEAD IN TUSCALOOSA!!"

(whispered to the side--"Now about that 401 (k), Mr. Moore?")

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I'm a life long Bama fan, since the Kenny Stabler days, but I am disgusted with the whole picture down there now.

I am having a hard time caring anymore.

11. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Points to ponder...

Saban was making $4.5m per year with the Dolphins, so it's not a pay raise. However, he has more stability with Alabama with the long term contract.

Huizenga tried to get him to stay, but appeared not to be upset with the decision saying it was more complicated than simply $$$.

From what I understand, his children & wife were not happy in South Florida and that may have been the determining factor.

If it were that reason, I don't blame him for leaving though he easily could have handled this a lot better.

12. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

He def should have handled it better.

It should be interesting tho. I bet he gets Bama back to the top of the SEC tho. He is a good coach and knows what he is doing.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Relaaaaaaaaaax, Roger!!!!!!!

As soon as the Tide wins 5 in a row over the "War Chickens"----you'll start carin' again!!!! What say????!!!

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SEC West just got a whole lot tougher. Arkansas, LSU, Auburn, and Alabama will all be quality teams next season.

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

When Saban was down at LSU one thing we had to live with was just how much control he demanded of anything related to "his" team.
    In Baton Rouge, that was no big deal since he was restoring a winning tradition...but in Bama where the boosters and alumni cash cows have all the say; i don't see it working so well.
    I have no idea who will break first, Saban or Bama; but i don't see this one lasting much longer than any of Nick's other stops.

And as an LSU fan...i'll just say winning the Sugar Bowl tonight helps stomach the Saban to Bama news a little easier.

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not anywhere close to such a lucrative, nationally-prominent, media-scrutinized position, but it's still hard to go along with, such dishonesty among "big-time" football coaches, though this circumstance is quite unsurprising. They can't seem to say "I have no comment regarding any other coaching posistion than the one I have now"; they just forthrightly lie about it... "I am not going to be the new coach at _____!" But that goes along too well with the extent to which dishonesty is a major part of bigtime sports; particularly in college recruiting. They have their A list, B list, C, ....., and promise the C's and lower they need them and want them, that they will be starters by their second year, et al et al, while working hard and doing whatever is necessary to get the B's and going beyond reasonable expense, integrity, and humility to get the A's; never telling the C's that their offers will be revoked immediately they become certain they's got the A's and B's to round out their class limit. One prominent A recruit once was an avid hunter, so the school he was visiting bought imported pheasants and released them into a large wooded university property and supplied the recruit with a shotgun. And of course all bigtime schools have arrangements-- unofficially, meaning not documented-- of beautiful young women to show them around campus and town, and.....

If anyone is shocked at Saban's shameless lying, it just goes along with the 'territory.' Yet, another dimension here is that he is clearly a "control freak." Like Steve Spurrier, he does not and cannot have the complete control over his players in the NFL as in college. Star players may be spoiled prima donnas in either case, but at least they are younger and more bendable, and not multi-millionaires in college.

#16 Alcott, Jan 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2007
  17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

I have a couple of issues with Saban taking the AL Job - #1 - 4 mil per year at a public school. Now Mac Brown, bob Stoops and Fran will me marching into their AD's offices demanding the same. As a tuition paying parent of a Texas Aggie, all I can do is scream!

Who really thinks he will stay eight years, the same folks that think Larry Brown will live out a contract longer than one year?

Saban better have some boosters ready to pony up those Beemers for the "student athletes" Saban needs to win quick to justify this contract.

Guess those Alabama fans will forgive Fran (of course we are ready to give him back) for bolting before his contract was up!

18. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just hope he eventually bolts to the Kryptonite of all college coaches: Notre Dame.

19. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Whats wrong with Weis????

He lost "easily" to the Tigers!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ----took it like a MAAAAAAAAN!!!!!

I don't know-----looking at Weis during the broadcast----he struck me as a "Home Boy!" I like his combination Redneck/Cajun look----- Saban on the other hand to me is a "Pretty Boy"---Powder puff stuff

All Saban has to worry about is beatin' Auburn!!! I'm sure, though, his wifey won't have no worries spending the 4M plus plush stuff from boosters---they'll REALLY pour it in their laps if Saban "wastes" Auburn----especially down in Jordan/Haire stadium

#19 blackbird, Jan 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2007
  20. rbell

rbell Active Member

I do think the wheels fell off after Auburn...but I disagree that a loss to a terrible MSU team didn't accelerate matters. It might not have been public fodder, but when the Tide got beaten by the Bulldogs, I think that the talk in the upper eschelons started.

Because of Alabama's returning folk, and Auburn's graduating bunch, 2007 gives Saban a pretty decent shot at beating the Tigers. Of course, a thousand factors (especially injuries) could change that significantly.

I'll find it funny to hear the fighting if Saban takes the Tide to a great record (0-1 loss)...it'll be like when Buster Brown...er, Terry Bowden went undefeated at Auburn...some will say, "Atta boy!" and others will say "He did it with someone else's players!"

I get tickled at how riled folks in this state get sometimes. And I'm one of those "impossible creatures:" An AL resident who pulls for BOTH teams (AL/AU...I pull for the Tide).