1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Sacraments or ordinances?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Thomas Helwys, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Bro. James

Bro. James Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are a lot of Brides(wives) out there. How many are yours? Every bride is a separate entity, lacking nothing, save The Groom.

Each called out assembly is a sovereign body made up of born again, baptized believers. They have no vicar but Christ who is also the Priest forever--like Melchizadec. The body of Christ is complete with the indwelling of The Spirit, The Holy--the same as on the Day of Pentecost. The Holy Spirit leads, guides and directs through The Word.

This has been true in every generation. God has called out and preserved a remnant even through today. The man-made religions have not a clue.

The world is filled with man-made religion, most of it false. Some churches have had their candlesticks(Holy Spirit) removed; some never had a candlestick.

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Bro. James

#61 Bro. James, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

No. There is one Bride, one Christ, one Body.

3. Thomas Helwys

Thomas Helwys New Member

I agree.

For those who believe as DHK, what about those individual Christians who are not connected to a local assembly. I guess he would say they are a part of the bride of Christ, but not the body of Christ. Seems like hair-splitting to me.

4. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Is Christ in you? I know he dwells in me. Some of the others here testified that they accepted him as Lord and Savior and He dwells in them? Just how many different Christs are walking around out there?

5. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Are we ever described in Scripture as Christ's Body as individuals? No!

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"Christ in you the hope of glory."
    "I am crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live, yet not I but Christ liveth in me, and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God who loved me and gave himself for me." Gal.2:20

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
    20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

7. Matt Black

Site Supporter

None of these verses refer to Christ's Body or His Bride. Not sure what point you're trying to make by quoting them(?) Are you saying that Christ has multiple Brides, that He's a Mormon?

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You tell me if he has multiple bodies. I know Christ dwells in me. Does he dwell in you? I am sure Bro. James would testify that he dwells in him. So would Steaver, Tom Butler, Webdog, Ansi, Amy, and a host of others who post here. Are there many Christs then?

9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, its the Holy Spirit residing in us, as paul called Him the Spirit of Christ, so ONE jesus, but all of us are united to Him thru the Holy Spirit!

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The triume Godhead cannot so easily be split up.
    Christ said: Know ye not that he that has seen me has seen the Father. I am in the Father and the Father is in me.

We are the temple of the Holy Spirit.

Paul also said; "Christ in you, the hope of glory."

11. Matt Black

Site Supporter

As you yourself have rightly said, it's the Triune Godhead dwelling within us, not 'merely' Christ, therefore this is not relevant to the issue of 'multiple Brides/ multiple Bodies'.

There is of course only one Christ, Who has One Body, One Bride.

12. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Wait, what? Christ is a polygamist?!!!:eek:

13. Matt Black

Site Supporter

I wonder then what you make of John 14:23 and the Scriptures DHK referenced: it seems to me to be pretty clear that Jesus and the Father dwell within us too.

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't deny there is only one bride which Christ is preparing right now. And someday there will be a wedding feast.

But the "body" refers to local churches, each one of are referred to "bodies in Christ," because that is what they are. 1Cor.3:11 tells us that their foundation is Christ. Christ is the cornerstone of the foundation and the rest of the foundation are the apostles and the prophets. Each of the members of the church (local church) build upon that foundation. Each local church becomes a pillar and ground of the truth in the community they are. A so-called universal church cannot do that. The pillar holds up the truth as the pillars of the temple of Diana in Ephesus held up the temple of Diana. We hold up the truth of the gospel and spread it abroad through our missionary work.
    Each local church is a ground of the truth. They are founded on the truth, the Word of God which is their final authority in all matters of faith and doctrine. This is how the church at Ephesus was described. It is a model for every church to follow after.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And yet he is not many. You can understand this concept, but when I use the word "body" as being many you shut your eyes and cannot see it. Every church is a body of Christ.

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Would say the Bible teaches the father is upon the Throne of heaven, jesus at His side as my High priest, while the Holy Spirit resides in all saved, as we are the temple of God here in human form!

17. Matt Black

Site Supporter

But that's not what Jn 14:23 actually says, is it?
    That just doesn't work, does it? There can't be many 'pillars and grounds of the truth', since then there would be many truths. That is of course unfortunately exactly what we see in evangelicalism: a muddle of contradictory epistemologies; 'many pillars' and many 'truths'.

How many 'truths' are there, then?

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    actually, there are ONLY the truths of the scriptures, but there are different interpretations of those scriptures by different churches/individuals!

Still does not alter the fact that there are still core essential doctrine taught in Bible ALL Christians must adhere with!

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There is only one truth, properly expounded and exegeted one will arrive at it.
    The truth is that there is more in common with Biblically based evangelical churches than there is in the Roman Catholic/Anglican grouping of churches.

We all uphold the same gospel: Salvation is through the gospel; the death, burial and resurrection of Christ, and that it is the shed blood of Christ that made full atonement for our sins. Justification by faith alone or Faith alone in that simple message is what salvation is all about. It is not of works. We all agree on that. Baptism follows salvation. The Bible is our final authority. We have agreement on the fundamentals of the faith, and we can point to divisions and scandals within the RCC that are tearing it apart. The myth that the RCC is united is just that--a myth. It is not true by any stretch of the imagination. There is more unity in evangelicalism than in the RCC.

What you see here in various debates does not deter our fellowship one with another. As a missionary I travel to different Baptist churches and speak in quite a few--both Calvinist and non-Calvinist. Their stand on Calvinism doesn't affect my fellowship with them as Baptist brethren. Neither does eschatology: pre-trib or mid-trib; neither does dispensationalism vs. covenant; etc. These are little things. They are make good material to "sharpen our swords." But it is nothing to split our churches over. Many of these issues are not even addressed by the Catholic church and therefore are moot.

Every Bible-based church is indeed a pillar of the truth and a ground of the truth: spreading forth the gospel in the community in which it is established.

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We can agree as christians despite differences in regards to cal?Arm, pre/Mid/post A Mil etc because we ALL agree to the core essentials of the chtristian faith required to hold to be really saved and a Christian!

Problem is that Rome denies the very heart of the Bible, the cross of Christ!

#80 Yeshua1, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013