1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Salvation is Conditional, but We May Not Boast

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by thatbrian, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I made the claim that if someone wanted to call me a synergist I was ok with the moniker, based upon what Calvinists (blanket statement representing those who believe in the DoG) say. After researching it, however, I have come to the conclusion that to call anyone who does not embrace the DoG a synergist is indeed intended as a slur. Especially given the fact that not everyone who is called synergist by your camp considers themselves a synergist. It is by its very nature a strawman.

You have missed my entire point. I am not saying that anyone in your camp would say that. I am saying that the whole idea of saying someone outside your camp could boast is asinine.

Normally, I respect your opinion, TC. But this post demonstrates why it is impossible to discuss this with those in your camp. You have let your bias get in the way of clear thinking. In no way, shape, or form can calling someone's argument not very well thought out be a personal attack. If it is, then you did the same thing to me. So, either it is not a personal attack, or you are a hypocrite. Dealer's choice. Either way, I'm out. It's not worth my time to attempt to discuss anything here.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yep it is a slur to be sure.

3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is frustrating. It doesn't help when the 'discussion' is started with posts like these:

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then you need to go back and study what synergism is. An historic descriptive theological term is not a slur.

And this goes back to the question, "Why did you get saved and your neighbor didn't?" How are you different from your neighbor. What is different about YOU? (See the problem?)

Accusing us of using accepted, historical, theological terms as a slur is certainly a personal attack.

Or you have accused us of using an accepted, historical theological term as a slur.

You may want to rethink that.

5. thatbrian

thatbrian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wrong on all points, but I'll just address just two.

First, no Arminian (non-Cal) can say, "Anyone can be saved as I was". A synergist did something to aid in his salvation, and not all people do that something because not all people are saved. First, the most glaring problem with your logic is that you completely disregard billions of people who have lived and died without ever hearing the gospel. . .

Second, the person *saved* by God's grace was not saved because of anything good within him, but rather, just the opposite! He was saved, completely, because he had no ability to save himself. No Calvinists boast that God saved him and passed over another, he asks in wonder at God's mercy toward him, "why me, Lord?".

Am I to boast about this?: But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong;

A synergist (no, it's not a slur) always has grounds to boast. A monergist can only boast in his Savior. There is no potential for boasting when you did nothing. There are grounds for boasting when you did something. That can't be argued.

May I ask, why are you a Christian but your neighbor/co-worker/friend is not? What have you done that he/she has not?

#25 thatbrian, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2017