1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation Question

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Rolfe, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am curious about something and do not know who I should ask about this: How often does it happen that an adult, whose acceptance of Christ for Salvation at a young age was believed to be genuine, comes to realize that it was not?

I realize that this may be awkwardly-written, but I trust that the question will be understood.

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I’ve known several people who thought they were saved as a teenager and realized as an adult they were not. My wife’s uncle is one example (he is in his 70’s and grew up in church, was “saved” as a teenager and really saved a couple of years ago. All this time he’s been a member and attendee of the same church).

I wrestled with the same question a few decades ago. I was saved and baptized when I was a child, and I was discipled through my teens. But as an adult you couldn’t see a difference in my life when compared to any other person’s. As a soldier I started wondering if I could have been saved with the limited understanding I had as a child. I did not really comprehend the depravity of sin, or honestly the depth of God’s love (I still can’t grasp this part). As I wrestled with these things I came to realize that I was saved as a child, with the understanding of a child. What I had done was neglect my spiritual growth and obedience. I needed to be discipled.

So I’ve seen the question answered both ways (not really saved and then saved, and saved but remaining immature in the faith).

• Like Like x 1
  3. MennoSota

MennoSota Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One of my pastors realized that he was baptized as a kid and wasn't saved. He later was rebaptized as a believer in adulthood.

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have know a few cases where someone has decided they weren't really saved even though they have believed that Christ died on the cross for their sins, was buried, and rose again on the third day.

In most such cases some "Evangelist" trying to pad the "numbers who came forward" preached a false gospel of sinless perfection and talked these vulnerable souls out of their salvation.

In several such cases I was able to talk to them and ask them a simple question, "Who are you doubting? Are you doubting Christ?" The answer is always a strong, "NO!"

Then who are you doubting? "Well, I guess I am doubting myself." My response has been what part of your salvation is dependent on your works? "Well, none!" Then who are you doubting?

A couple decades ago I had a fairly well known evangelist in for a week of meetings. Finally, half way through the sermon on Wednesday and stood up and when to him and asked him to step down off the platform. He was shocked! "What do you think you are doing?" I am protecting those whom God has given into my pastoral watch-care from a false teacher. He walked out and I never saw him again. He has since passed away.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was baptized a second time at age 27. But that was because I had joined an IFB church and the sprinkling that Paul Yoder gave me in the Mennonite church when I was 12 didn't pass muster.

But salvation was never in question.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Stretch

Stretch New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was baptized as a youth (perhaps 12 or younger, I don't really remember) because it was expected. I never really accepted Christ as my Savior. In fact, for many years I identified myself as an agnostic (especially after earning my degree in Biology; I thought science held all the answers.) Thankfully, due to the influence of my wife, who was a Christian, and a local pastor who visited with me often, I was led to the Lord. I sincerely accepted Christ at age 33 and was baptized in full knowledge of what it meant.

I can't say that I have always been a "good" Christian, or even an active one...I fail daily, even when I make my best efforts not to do so. I am thankful for grace, and not merit!

• Like Like x 2