1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Satan and the "child" in Passion

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Debby in Philly, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have posted my question here because I don't know if I am missing this because it is from Catholic interpretation or not, and also to invite more replies.

At one point in the film when Jesus is being beaten, the satanic figure walks through, taunting Him. The question I have is, why is the satanic figure carrying what appears as a young child, that then is seen as a somewhat grotesque caracature of a child. Who or what does this "child" represent?

The only thing I can come up with is that it is taunting Mary, who is watching, hinting that he is taking her child for evil. Did anyone else get something different?

2. LaRae

LaRae Guest

There's been discussion elsewhere on this and most feel it's a mockery of the mother and Child (Mary and Jesus).

LaRae

3. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

And Gibson, so I've been told, feels it is a representation of Genesis 3:15 - Satan's seed.

4. thessalonian

thessalonian New Member

I've heard some speculatoin that it is the antichrist.