1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Saved in the great Arminian way

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by rockytopva, Mar 7, 2020.

1. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    But it's not in Scripture, and neither are the things you've listed ( except for the giving, please see 2 Corinthians 9 ).
    So, no reason to participate, is there?

You can do all those things if you want to, but when the Lord tells me that I'm to come out and be separate from the world and its ways, I take Him seriously.
    At the end of the day, it's not my world, I'm just passing through.;)

Like Abraham, I'm looking for a new city, my friend...
    I'm waiting for Him to come and build the new one, and I'm very much looking forward to it.:)
    Please see Exodus 33:19, the book of Acts ( specifically Acts of the Apostles 2:39, Acts of the Apostles 2:47, and Acts of the Apostles 13:48 ), the epistles ( specifically Romans 8 and Romans 9 ) and the book of Revelation.

God sent Jonah to Nineveh to prove a point...
    This one:

" For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
    16 So then [it is] not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy."
    ( Romans 9:15-16 ).

In addition, see Jonah 4, where the Lord compares His right to bestow mercy, on Jonah's right to feel sorry for the gourd.
    It's not difficult to understand the Scriptures, ITL.
    God's children have the unique privilege of being able to read and understand it, with enough study.
    They have the Holy Spirit as their Teacher ( 1 John 2:20-27 ).

All it takes is quality time, every day, in God's word.
    All that He asks is that you spend time with Him, your Saviour ( Revelation 3:20 ), who bought each and every one of us, His "sheep", with a price:

His pain and suffering.

So, I encourage you to study, as He commanded Timothy to ( 2 Timothy 2:15 ).
    Without it, we cannot rightly divide His words.

Also, desire the sincere milk of the word, that you might grow by it ( 1 Peter 2:2 ).
    Without it, we will not grow, spiritually.

May He bless you in your endeavors at seeking Him through His every word.

#61 Dave G, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  2. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    But the way of salvation is described in the New Testament.
    Therefore, personalizing Scripture that speaks to and about the New Testament believer, is not only permissible, but something that every believer should do.
    After all, it's speaking to them and about them, so why should they not believe it?;)

For example, if 2 Thessalonians 2:13 says that the believer is chosen to salvation through sanctification of the spirit and belief of the truth, then I not only believe it, I also take it to heart and such a statement begins to change the way that I think about myself, as well as the Lord.
    Another example is Philippians 1:29, where it tells me that not only was it given to me in the behalf of Christ to believe on Him, but it was also given to me to suffer for His sake.

So, two more things I personalize, include believing on Christ because it was given to me to do so, and also suffering for His sake at the hands of those who do not believe.

Those that hate the Lord, in their hearts, are going to hate the Lord's children.
    I experience that every day...

Don't you?

I know of many who do not suffer for Him, but then they don't really seem to care about Him, or His words.
    All they appear to care about is what's going on around them, which is just more of the same, decade after decade.
    Politics will never change, and the problems of this world will never change...

But one thing that we as believers in Jesus Christ have for sure, is a Saviour that cares for us, will never leave us nor forsake us, and wants to spend time with us.

Again, I wish you well, sir.

#62 Dave G, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  3. rockytopva

rockytopva Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    One plus for Calvinism is in that their membership appears more steadfast. With the Arminian the revival may last a generation. With my old pastor he would have good revivals all summer long and that lasted all through his ministry. I cannot remember the last time I attended a good revival.

4. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can.
    As I recollect, it was in late May of 1978, when a "Traditionalist" preacher came to a Baptist church not far from my home and my parents took me to hear the word of God being preached.

That week is one of the most memorable in my life ( and one of the few times I look back instead of forward to being with the Lord )...for it was the very first time I had heard the word of God preached, and the very first, of many times, that I have both been awed, sobered and rejoiced at hearing those words spoken out loud.
    The preacher read from the AV, and I hung on every word.

He spoke about sin, death, Hell and the Judgment, and that whosoever believes on the Son of God, will be saved.
    I believed on Christ right in my seat, and was baptized later that week.

That night, along with a handful of other occasions that God has showed me His great grace and mercy, are among my most cherished of memories.
    When the Lord called me into the fellowship of His saints, that I will never forget.

May He bless you richly, sir.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What we should do and can do is get together and pray for it until He moves among His people. See Asbury College 1970

• Like Like x 2
  6. Rob_BW

Rob_BW Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  7. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. Revmitchell