1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saved through the Passion of the Christ

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Brother Adam, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Vaspers, you are correct. Partial truth is a lie. I hope this movie will a least get peoples mind on Jesus, but if what Jesus has already done is not enough then I doubt a movie will do anything.

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

Our church put on a Chrismas contata this year (as usual). In the production, things were said in the script that were not in scripture, Joseph even sang a song. Some parts were even a little humorous, like the camel costume that kept flopping over (no camels mentioned in the narratives of Christ's birth, BTW). But overall, and despite the technically "extra-Biblical" stuff, it was a wonderful production. And no one published a thesis documenting its inauthentic aspects, the scenes that focused on Mary more than the Gospel narratives did, etc., nor did anyone feel the need to explain to visitors afterward what parts were in addition to scripture. People just took the story in, and let it increase their appreciation and faith in Christ. Imagine that.

3. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Would you like to be more specific? Or is this the way you attempt to peer into the hearts of people and judge them by?

Careful, your gentle rebuke can be looked upon as unkind, impatient, unloving,mean, and ill-tempered, but I know you wouldn't do that. [​IMG]

4. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

"Partial truth is a lie"

Then Baptists had better stop using the "Romans Road" as a technique to save people, because it is not the "whole truth".

What can I say. It will be interesting tonight. There are suppose to be protestors at the movie theater. This will be the first time when those watching the movie will have Bibles and those protesting it also will have the Bibles.

I look forward to reporting in later tonight after we watch the movie. [​IMG]

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Brother Adam, I can't imagine there'll be many protesters. We have an 'off beat' Baptist church in our little town that protests lots of stuff but I haven't seen anything about them protesting the movie YET.

Be prepared Adam. I still am just so overwhelmed that I don't think I could even put into words how powerful this movie is. I started sharing with my husband last night and talked non-stop for about 2 hours.

I wish those who are so busy trashing this movie would either wait until they've viewed it or just allow those who do want to see this movie to do so in peace.

Diane

6. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Calvary is never a "pretty" picture and the aspects are never pleasing to behold by sight. It's the outcome which is rather Glorious, not the actual happenings except for those few words spoken by our Saviour and the salvation of the Roman soldier and such others in that perspective.

If Mel Gibson's heart is right for why he made the film, it doesn't matter exactly what may be a misrepresentation as long as people's eyes are opened to the reality of Calvary and the extant sufferings of Christ on that cruel Cross and the events that led up to it, but most of all the outcome of salvation offered to every man. Ain't it just like God to do somethign like that!

I believe the Lord is already using the film to draw attention to His Only begotten lift up above the earth and so all men may be drawn to Himself.

It's got the entire world's attention focused on Calvary, what's wrong with that? NOTHING!

I believe many have left the account of Calvary behind and placed it on the shelf and substitued teachings and the charsma of the preacher and his style in it's place. That is utterly shameful.

I believe God is using the film inspite of our objections! It is the major aspect of the Gospel.

7. Brother Adam

Brother Adam New Member

There was a radio report that its possible we will see protestors tonight.

Thank you for the warning. Having discussed this film with Catholic brethren who went to see a private screening with Mel himself, they told me ready my heart in prayer before watching it.

I plan on getting off shortly and meditating on the stations of the cross.

8. Jailminister

Jailminister New Member

Brother Adam, Enjoy the movie, but remember that it is JUST a movie.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Have you made a list of which lines from the movie are inaccurate?
    Which 'christian' movies have you seen and approve of, or even semi approve of?

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

Not the whole truth. The whole bible is the whole truth. Are we to sit and read the whole thing to them and expect them to listen and then be saved? Is that what you do?

11. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Donna, you don't have to read my posts and collect all the inaccuracies I and others have mentioned. When you go see this film, go home, read the gospel passages. See if there was not a load of junk added. The Resurrection gives hope and joy. Focus on brutality: no hope or joy. Just stunned silence from visual assault of cinematic gore. It's devilish to focus on the brutality and skip over the Resurrection. That is dead wrong.

Yes, [​IMG] [​IMG] from what I've seen of the film so far, wild inaccuracies. but you know, people want an EXPERIENCE to FEEL something, to WEEP and be stunned.

It's easier to sit in a hypnosis chamber, I mean movie theater, and passively soak up a heretical Mary Worship film, than to struggle with reading and understanding the Bible.

At least, if it gets too gruesome and off the wall and tasteless, feel free to get up and leave if you feel like it. Don't be shy or feel self-conscious.

Wait until the lawsuits come from those who have nervous breakdowns, or those who "copy cat" the violence and inflict it on others to imitate the film. God forbid, but I predict that we'll see some very bad results and problems clearing up errors that people will say, "But I saw it in Mel's film. What do you mean that scene never happened? I saw it happen. In the film. Mary suffered for our sins with Jesus. She is Co-Redeemer." What garbage it is.

12. Hamtramck_Mike

Hamtramck_Mike New Member

Did not God use Pharoh in Exodus? Satan in Job? Judas in the Gospels? Goliath in 1 Samuel? I could go on and on! He still is doing it today!

What about Islam? JW's? Mormons?

13. Johnv

Johnv New Member

While that's true, what constitutes "partial truth" is in the eye of the beholder. For example, is a movie about the nativity "partial truth" because it "only" covers Jesus' birth? Then why would a movie that covers the last 12 hours of Jesus' life any moreso "partial truth"? I think Christians are goving this movie too much credit. Many who praise it do so as though it were Biblical. Many who condemn it do so as though it were unbiblical. Folks, it's a screenplay. It's an adaptation. If you want biblical or unbiblical, crack your bible open. Praise or condemn, do not be guilty of silver screen theology.

People can sing hymn without falling prey to hymnal theology. People can listen to a sermon without falling pray to pulpit theology. People can read the KJV without falling pray to version-only theology. Likewise, people can go see this film without falling pray to silver screen theology. That's what I plan on doing.

14. Johnv

Johnv New Member

You haven't even seen the film, yet you make such ridiculous statements. No one who has seen the film supports your claim. From what people have told me, Mary is seen grieving at the loss of her son. Are you so afraid of being lumped in with catholics that you can't even acknowlege (let alone empathize with) Mary's suffering?

I'm a parent. I know I can. The thought of standing by while I must watch one of my children suffer and die, well, it's most certainly something I hope I never have to witness. God bless her! If that makes me pro-catholic, well, I stand accused.

15. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Vaspers said: In the film. Mary suffered for our sins with Jesus. She is Co-Redeemer."

What a load of garbage indeed! The ONLY suffering Mary does in the movie is what any mother would suffer. There is no glorification of Mary! None whatsoever! Vaspers, when you make statements like that without viewing the movie, that's a canard.

Diane
    WHO HAS SEEN THE MOVIE!

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

You didn't answer my question did you.

So far I ahve not seen it advertised to be a word for word line for line from the bible, no more then anyother movie written about the bible.

17. vaspers

vaspers New Member

Behold: the severe mental problems I sadly predicted are already starting to occur.

For example, I know a church official of a certain church with whom I have served for years. He saw the film, and now speaks filthy language and gross perversity in sermons, like he got some witchcraft voodoo spell in him, maybe a bad demon or some such thing, and used this new vocabulary in violent verbal assaults on me, simple because I questioned the film.

I know it sounds like bizarre and unreal, but I experienced it and it was not funny. I will not debate that it happened, just want to inform those who are interested.

Hold on tight people, we're in for a ride you will not believe. :( :(

18. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Christian's cannot be demon possessed.

Diane

19. Precepts

Precepts New Member

Diane
    </font>[/QUOTE]What about King Saul? We would believe that his mean streaks merit a demon posession, but then I guess he wasn't a Christian either. I am interested in your proof they can't be. I personally don't believe they can be either, but I wonder where the proof is they can't? [​IMG]

20. Mike McK

Mike McK New Member

Diane
    </font>[/QUOTE]What about King Saul? We would believe that his mean streaks merit a demon posession, but then I guess he wasn't a Christian either.
    </font>[/QUOTE]I hate to be the one to break this to you....