1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Saving Faith: God’s Gift to Sinners or Sinners’ Gift to God?

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by Protestant, Feb 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh and eusebes= devout, godly, pious. Per kohlenberger's......don't leave out godly

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I don't limit God's sovereignty. Ironically the Calvinist does.
    God is sovereign enough that within his sovereignty he allows man to have a free will, he being omniscient, knows exactly what man will choose, and will not force or interfere in that choice that he in his sovereignty has given him.

By omitting free will the Calvinist has tied the hands of God. He has limited the omnipotence of God. He has limited his sovereign power. Ironic isn't it?

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The word is "godly."
    Ask a "devout" Hindu if he is "godly"?
    Do you know what he will tell you?

4. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How many lost people do you know that have reverence for God. That are God fears???? I have never heard anyone say he is a God fearing sinner. Never seen the bible say the natural man is enmity with God, but he has reverence for him. That is contradictory. How could the lost Cornelius, the enemy of God have reference for God? How could he be devout to a God he was an enemy of? He could be devout to another god, but not the God.

5. robustheologian

robustheologian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man's will is free yet bound. It is bound by God's sovereignty and man's sinful nature. Man's will is free to choose what God allows and what his nature can.

BTW, that term "free will" is tricky. A truly free will means that someone is able to whatever they want (or will). However, if I were to jump of a skyscraper and will to fly I couldn't. I view "free will" as a theological technical term.

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are straining at gnats; really reaching here.
    This "devout" man was devout to a false religion--a religion that may have been devoted to the worship at one time to Jehovah, but a religion that had rejected the Messiah and had crucified him. They hated him. It was a false religion that persecuted true believers. This is the religion that he belonged to, and those are the people that admired him, and said that he was a good man, in spite of the fact "there is none good," as you affirm.
    In your quest to affirm that this man is "good" you deny your own premise of the depravity of man. How ironic!

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

"what God allows" according to the Calvinist--only the elect will be saved; all others are damned.
    "man's sinful nature" no free will; he can only choose evil.
    Ergo--no free will.

8. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You still ignore context. The context is "among the Jews."
    The Jews hated Christ and hated Christianity.
    He was not a God-fearing Christian. The God that they now worshiped was a false god of a false religion. Judaism was no longer a true religion, the way to heaven. God had rejected them, as they had rejected God.

9. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That post is illogical. You claim that Calvin says God is all powerful...it fact he is so sovereign under Calvin's view, he losses sovereignty??? He loses his ruling power???? Really?

Oh, and you make it sound, once again, that Calvin believes we don't have the ability to think or make choice. Not true. You keep saying it.....but it won't make it true. You have choice....but the slave to sin only serves his master, his sinful nature. He does not and can not do anything to please God.

10. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ....the rest of the sentence.....who was he devout to? You refuse to take the sentence as a whole because it doesn't fit you theology. That sounds familiar.... Where have I heard that... Oh yeah.

11. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That needs some refinement.

"what God allows" takes into account God's sovereignty. Simply put, if God wanted all to be saved...all would be saved (Psalm 135:6). But all will not be saved (Matt. 25:46).

"man's sinful nature" does not mean he can only choose evil or is utterly depraved, it means he does not will to choose good...especially spiritual good.

12. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It doesn't say devout and Hindu. It says devout and "God-fearing". Once again....the enemy of God does not have reverence for him. They don't respect him. Only the children of God do.

13. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Read more carefully.
    I said that "I believe," that is "The non-cal has a view of God in which the sovereignty of God is greater than the view of the Calvinist. In our view God is sovereign enough to allow man to have free will. Compare it to the Book of Job. God allowed Satan to have his way with Job. Job still had free will, and Satan still is the god of this world. God had to come to Job and rebuke him near the end of the book. If everything was predetermined, Job saying exactly what God wanted him to say why would God have to "correct himself"?

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Acts 17:17 Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.

You are battling a losing cause. Paul disputed with idolatrous but devout Greeks. I am sure they were devout to their gods.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And that is why this discussion is about Cornelius who, though unregenerated, chose to do good.

16. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you get your faith? From God or generated by yourself? There is only two options. Its you or God. You are doing a pretty song and dance to avoid answering the question.

17. robustheologian

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was Cornelius' really unregenerated when he chose to do that good?

18. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Read you own post. The words "I believe" is missing. You state Calvinism limits God's sovereignty.... Never said "I believe"

19. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That would be contradictory to scripture. Psalms 14:1......no one does good.

20. McCree79

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DHK,

....and half the posts I see from you bear false witness to reformed believes(and Calvin) on their believes. Don't lecture me moderator.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.