1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SBC local church leaves over Beth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Steven Yeadon

Steven Yeadon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two things.

Beth Moore does say she gets personal revelation.

Beth Moore 2014 Simulcast Review Part Three: Personal Revelation

Two, she is a teaching pastor in role in the holy people. Just because we don't call her a teaching pastor, but still give her the platform and authority is clearly wrong scripturally. Though many will try to argue with this point, which reveals the real problem in the SBC regarding the role of women.

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does she equate her revelations as being scriptural, and does she pastor/teach in her own church then?

3. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. She does believe her personal revelations equal scripture.
    Beth Moore | CARM.org

Go to points 5 and 6 near the bottom of the page.

2. Beth Moore has a tv show she teaches from. You know my position, women teaching publicly in the church is wrong. Women can teach in private or direct their teaching to women or children. A TBN show with a general audience seems to cross the line to me.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist

I do not think the snippet proves that she believes her personal revelations equal scripture. Good grief.

On the second point, you contradict yourself. She has a TV show, which is not a church. So her teaching on an electronic venue should not violate your self-imposed prohibition. Tell me where scripture prohibits a woman from sharing with anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As for your second question, the bible says women are not to teach men in a public gathering of the faithful. Maybe it's just my age, but Youtube and TV seem to make gatherings of people similar to churches IMO. I get your stance though. Participation in such a program is voluntary and divorced form a public gathering in the real world. I get I didn't think enough about my position.

I should say that Beth Moore's teaching of men in a public gathering beyond her show is the real problem. Congregations and other Christian public gatherings should not have guest preachers that are women.

Thinking about it, I think you may be right that she doesn't believe her revelations equal scripture. I think I became extremely reactionary. I'm sorry for that rsr and everyone.

That said, I'll explain my qualms more fully. Beth Moore believes she receives occasional revelations from God, one at least she is told to write down. She believes in these revelations as coming form God Himself. OK, we must test this against scripture. We are not to treat potential prophets with contempt.

Is her revelation that the bride of Christ is paralyzed by unbelief corroborated in anyway by God? It seems quite odd to me, given I came form atheism originally and many Christians seem chock full of faith.

Also, is her supernatural "gift" always accurate, that is the standard of Deuteronomy. Otherwise, in the old covenant we start grabbing rocks and shovels to stone her. The offense if wrong was and remains in a spiritual way just as severe. Saying you have a revelation from God is extremely divisive in the church, and it makes your message divinely powerful to those that believe you. The key question is, is that God talking to her?

Because if God talks through Beth Moore's revelations that makes her a mighty prophetess, and unique in much of church history. This is because global church history lacks such revelations for centuries, once the bible was agreed on at Nicaea. The exception are testimonies in which God did miracles or gave short revelations for salvific or other positive purposes. A modern example is Jesus appearing to Muslims for their salvation. However, in 1700 years of church history I can find no person to look to as supernaturally gifted to receive revelations for the church. I find only rare miracles that left no person designated as a conduit of God's Words.

That should explain my deeper problems with Beth Moore's occasional "personal revelations."

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This passage is speaking of the church

But they are NOT the same! A church is a local assembly - watching TV is not an assembly

• Like Like x 1
  7. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get you Salty, I agree. I didn't understand before.

I agree, the problem is how do you define church in this context? I define it as a public assembly of the faithful based on two Greek words.

Ekklesia or "church," is a catchall for the assembly of the Holy People. When the New Testament talks of church it talks of a gathering of the holy people.

The Mounce Greek Dictionary defines Didasko in 1 Timothy 2:12 as meaning:
    "to teach or speak in a public assembly, 1 Tim. 2:12"
    διδάσκω | billmounce.com

Notice that the sole example we have in the New Testament of a woman, Priscilla, teaching a man, Apollos, was done under the husband's authority (Aquila) and was done aside (Acts 18:24-26). Now I do allow for women teaching men in private, though they should wield no authority in this role. The problem that many have articulated online with Beth Moore is that the bible seems to disallow women preachers.

8. alexander284

alexander284 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, the problem has been her increasingly "liberal" stance on women's issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would love to hear any examples you can offer. I've only heard in passing she is getting more liberal on women's issues.

10. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you read every post on this thread (from beginning to end) I believe you'll see exactly what I'm talking about. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such as? is she advocating for women pastors and teachers now?

12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give one side by side false teaching example. Joyce Meyer | Beth Moore

13. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Knew Joyce Meyer holds to wof heresies, including that Jesus died spiritually while upon the Cross, what does beth hold to that is so bad?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never claimed that she did here, as keep asking for what she teaches that makes Sbc so upset!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. alexander284

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you take the time to read every post prior to mine, you will see what I mean. :)

16. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    More fake news from the squawkers over at Pullet & Hen:

"Alert! Chairman of 2020 SBC Resolutions Committee is Interim Pastor of Church that Ordains Women Deacons"

Another whopper from JD Hall & Co.!

I went to the church website and it is affirmed that deacons "must be men".

the church only ordains men:

"Ordination Defined....ordination is a church’s public recognition of those men who, in its opinion, are scripturally qualified and called of God to shepherd the flock, evangelize
    unbelievers, teach, preach, administer the ordinances..."

as its Pastor Erwin Lutzer explained:

"in the New Testament, both deacons and elders were men. I think that’s clear from 1 Timothy 3 and the other passages that talk about the qualifications of both. But I also believe that it is proper in a church to have deaconesses. This is based on Romans 16:1 for example, where a woman, Phoebe, is spoken of"

"we have deaconesses....the function of deaconesses should be different from that of deacons....here at The Moody Church, we do make that distinction."

"only men can fulfill the role as deacon. But deaconesses are permitted by Scripture, and their responsibilities and roles are quite different than that of a deacon"

Shame on these Chicken Little bloggers! And their gullible readers for spreading these falsehoods!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Steven Yeadon

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, given Phoebe it seems clear a service ministry, as opposed to teaching or preaching or leadership ministries, is open to women.

• Like Like x 1