1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBC vs. LDS

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Centrist, May 30, 2020.

1. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what is the verdict of DM Canright on the SDA?

2. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    His verdict carries weight, as was among them nealy 30 tears, was a minster and elder for them, and knew Ellen and james white...

His take is that EW was misguided and had false visions due to head injury suffered as youth, and that their teachings regarding Sabbath, Investigative Judgement all wrong!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In a number of the complaints (right word?) about the LDS, you really do have plausible arguments. I was talking with a close friend, a retired Baptist preacher, and we went over some of those. I will look into more of them, and perhaps give a response if the opportunity presents itself.

So while I, a mere lowly individual, cannot justify or excuse what has been said or done, I can argue in how *I* ended up with such a rock solid testimony in the LDS. And I know this is a given for many Mormons. To start with let me reflect on contact with Christian/non-LDS missionaries.

There is something about being in a conversation with one of your missionaries, and to be besieged by "points of concern"(right description?) such as what some of you have presented, in a manner where they "spew out" their argument fast enough that I (or we) cannot get word in edgewise only for them to roll their eyes after smarting off "and you don't even respond!" I understand that you feel you know the truth, and again you could very well have a point with some of what is said, however....

What created my testimony is how often I hear the same lines in the same manner. It doesn't matter how truthful you are, if you shove it down someone's throat they will refuse to listen.

A good example is during the Manti Mormon Miracle Pageant last year. The last year it will be shown. That's in my "backyard", so I was there. I encountered numerous Christian/non-LDS missionaries. Some were pretty cool about it. I actually enjoyed talking scripture with them. Then there are those that were on attack mode, cornering people and attacking them engroupe the same way- asking what they think of this or that but never giving much chance for the cornered person to respond. Do the Christian/non-LDS missionaries understand what they are doing? Are they truly reaching out to bring people closer to God, as they claim, or are they really pushing people away from what could be their last chance for (your concept of) Salvation?

I'm not attacking you guys, really, just expressing what has been on my mind. I will dig for the truth on the issues you bring forth and I'll bring you answers.

4. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    After discussing this with a couple of m brethern (LDS), this is the best answer I can give-
    1. Yes sometimes things were said that aren't true. Even our Prophet can make mistakes. Even our Prophet IS human. He may be a Prophet, but he's just as imperfect as you and I.

2. Even though a Prophet may say something "is" does not mean all members consider it "so". Case in point, the Devil being Jesus' brother. No, the Holy Bible says the Godhead is made of God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost (Spirit). It does not say God, Jesus, the Holy Ghost (Spirit) and the Devil. We're talking about a Triune God, not a quadroon god.

3. In line with #2 is our justification for this. Article of Faith #11.
    "11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may."
    Some of us follow the Holy Bible, and some even consider it to be a curse. In the end, we know that unless you have been where we have been and are now, you'll never understand our testimony. I will not belittle God, Jesus or the Holy Ghost. Jesus is my Savior, not Joseph Smith (another error from long ago).

If you want to ask me questions, I'll be sure to do my best to either answer them honestly, or look for the answer.

5. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did you read what the SBC said about Mormonism?

Are Mormons Christians? - NAMB

FAQ: Are Mormons Christians? - NAMB

6. Centrist

Centrist Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I think I'll throw the towel in on this thread. Really, it's not my place to preach the LDS to anyone, because if you recall, I'm on my way out as it is. So preaching for something I'm no longer with is pretty dumb.

I will say though, the harder people push on the LDS the harder it will be to take it down. I know that when I'm confronted in the manner I have described before, it makes my testimony even stronger. That's normal for all people, really.
    Enough said....

• Like Like x 1
  7. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks! As you know, Mormonism is roughly 200 years old and widespread so I think that it is here to stay. There are a lot of Mormons in my area but the central focus is the Islamic Society of North America in Plainfield, Indiana.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will tell you that I love listening to a couple of acoustic guitar versions of LDS hymns - "Would You Hie To Kolob" and "O My Father", which are beautifully done by Jake White and Ryan Tilby, respectively(you can hear them in The Acoustic Guitar Thread in this section). I have also listened to a singing version of "O My Father", again beautifully done. So my question is - How does a Mormon square the teachings in "O My Father" with the teachings of the Bible?