1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SBTS Grad Consecrated as Episcopal Bishop

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rt. Rev. Brian Lee Cole Ordained 5th Bishop Of The Diocese Of East Tennessee
    [video starts at approx.15 minute mark]

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No big surprise, given that a former SBTS professor (Mark Seifrid) has become an apparently ordained (listed as "Rev.") Missouri Synod Lutheran professor at Concordia/St. Louis.

Seifrid, Mark - Concordia Seminary

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What else is expected?

Students are not excluded because of affiliation with some other than Baptist group.

Generally, a statement of faith is all that is required, where long ago, much more foundational understanding had to be agreed upon as well as at least three letters of recommendation - one from the pastor of the assembly you belonged, the other two character references to your standing (testimony) in the community.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does that bother some who frequent here?

I got my doctorate at The University of the South's School of Theology-Sewanee. It was the way left Episcopal-Anglican-High Church liberal seminary. But there were very conservative priests there whom I became very good friends-even colleagues.

And in one of my masters degrees, from Harding University's Graduate School of Religion, one of my professors got his PhD from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Harding is probably one of the best, if not the best graduate schools or seminaries in the Churches of Christ communion. For information purposes I am an alum of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary-1995 Master of Divinity. For the record it was post Al Mohler.

So this cross-education should not be looked down upon. One thing is for sure. If someone does a degree at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, they will have an excellent education. And if they come to do grad work or professional work there, they will have much less of a cash outlay than the major named schools of their own denomination. This may not be so in every case but the last time I checked it was so.

I know I know, some who do not know me will say: "What is this Baptist doing going to and receiving degrees from other schools other than those inside our communion?" Let me testify and say, some of my best learning of this old particular, Puritan and Reformational infuenced Baptist was done outside the Baptist sphere. Now I know why I am a Baptist. And I might ask,do you know why you are a Baptist? LOL!!!

My two cents worth.

rd

• Like Like x 2
  5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Last year 9Mark Dever was counseling SBTS seminarians to avoid labels:
    As I said in another thread: "One can understand the advice to tone down the Calvinism and the Amillennialism (it's SBTS after all) but...the Anglicanism? Why would that be an issue for Baptist seminarians?"

I guess this answers that question!

6. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir,

That does not answer the question, especially for me. Would you "say on" so I will not have to guess at your implications or infer the wrong thing from what you mean to say?

Please enlighten me in love if you will?

rd

7. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering why seminarians at a Southern Baptist school would have to be counseled by 9Mark Dever not to be so overtly Anglican as they went out preaching. Apparently there is a contingent of those folks studying there, hence his advice regarding the Anglican label.

8. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Get this!

A point of interest; a Mid America Baptist Theological Seminary PhD grad a few years ago did his doctorate in "Process Theology," Then he went on to become the head (whatever they call them at that time) of an Episcopalian-Anglican seminary.

Do you know what he emphasized? Missions and evangelism!!!!

Now how is that for all who look down their noses at those of us who have studied in other contexts?!!

LOL!!!

rd