1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

scheduled execution...

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by robycop3, Oct 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Missouri, Ernrst lee Johnson, 61, is scheduled for execution Tuesday, Oct. 5, 2021. He was convicted in 1994, beyond a shadow of a doubt, of robbing a small grocery store & killing 3 store employees & hiding their bodies in a walk-in cooler in order to obtain drug money.

In 2008, he had some brain tissue removed during a brain tumor operation, which weakened his intellectual capacity. His execution was postponed several times, but all appeals have now been exhausted, & the only one who can stop it is Gov. Michael Parson.However, that's unlikely to happen, as Parson is a conservative GOP who was once a "law-n-order" sheriff, even with 2 members of Congress & even the pope asking for clemency for Johnson since he's intellectually weak. I'm guessing he will use his right to ignore.(Full story on Yahoo)

MY opinion? That man's intellect was decreased AFTER he committed his crimes, not before, & he'd had plenty of intellect to commit his crimes. He should've been whacked years ago, before the year 2000. Let's off him now for his crimes, while giving him a chance to come to Christ before he dies.

YOUR thoughts ?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not aware of the case but I would have a few questions, like who witnessed the crime? What purpose does an execution serve? Is the man a threat to other people? Those kinda things.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He was convicted 27 years ago:

11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. Ecc 8

• Like Like x 2
  4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have all the facts against the case, so I don't know who witnessed the crime, except that this was a "no doubter". (The standard for conviction is "beyond a reasonable doubt".) The purpose of the execution is to punish him for 3 murders, on the Biblical principle of an eye for an eye, a life for a life". He could likely be a threat to others if he were free.

5. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, he shoulda been offed 26 years ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I were voicing my opinion, I'd be opposed. In our secular courts "beyond a reasonable doube" often falls short of the OT requirement of the testimony of 2 witnesses (I don't belueve this can be delegated to science) and "an eye for an eye" was prescribing restraint, not punishment.

7. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why execution - to ensure he does not kill again

But - Life imprisonment will guarantee that.
    1) he may escape
    2) he may be pardoned
    3) he may kill someone in prison.

I do not like execution - but it is a necessary evil

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are always 3 witnesses to every crime-Father, Son, & Holy Spirit. While they don't testify in earthly courts, they often make it possible to uncover evidence-and the detection methods used today are light-years more advanced over what they had in the OT, except the urim & thummin. And I guess we'll hafta agree to disagree on capital punishment. As a former cop, & believe it's much-under-used, & is dragged out for too long, such as in the case this thread's about.

9. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, I guess we can close this thread. They whacked the punk Tue. eve. Maybe someone wants to start a thread about for/against capital punishment.As you mighta guessed, I'm FOR it & believe it's underused.

10. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed at OP's request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.