1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Schizophrenia: Medical condition or Demonic oppression?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by michael-acts17:11, Sep 17, 2013.

1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Well, Deon was a great NFL player, but I don't think he has anything to do with this! :laugh:

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You attribute all mental illness to sin . You are going to tell me that the old person with dementia that becomes violent has nothing to do with illness of the brain, but is sin taking over?

#22 webdog, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2013
  3. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So why are you denying the reason why some get into certain mental states? Are you deliberately being uncompassionate?

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, he seemed to exercise a lot of the football demons in Detroit, as by refusing to be drafted by the Lions, we got someone named Barry Sanders instead!

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Barry Sanders was a class act.

One good thing is you all will probably be getting a new HC soon!

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    well, there is a former coach, "life long fan", name of Tony Dungy, and many hera pray that he would accept the gig!

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

Frankly, as the dad of a young woman with schizophrenia, I find this comment extremely insulting and utterly ignorant.

My daughter has schizophrenia, disorganized type with paranoid overtones. She has been a Christan since she was eight years old, and her faith is often the only thing she can hang onto. When the delusions and overwhelming random thoughts drive her to the brink of utter depression, her prayers and faith are all that deliver her back from the edge of total despair. She sometimes sits, hugging a pillow to her body, rocking back and forth, doing nothing other than calling on the name of Jesus. If that sounds like a "possessed" or "demonically oppressed" person to you, you're spiritually ignorant as well as ignorant intellectually.

You need to prayerfully consider what you are going to post before you hit that "Submit" button. You were born about 300 years too late. You would have been well placed among the idiots in Winston-Salem that sent so many mentally ill young men and women to the stake. If you can't post anything more intelligent than this, don't post at all, please, and good riddance.

Double that for you.

#27 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 18, 2013
  8. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

My heart and prayers go out to you.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a courageous thing to say, especially on BB. You and your daughter will be in my prayers.

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "it will be worth it all, when we see jesus face to face"

11. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No medication can fix sin. It can hide it or limit it but in the end all sin has to be dealt with in the same manner.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nobody said medication fixes sin. Your ignorance is epic.

13. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

For the sake of civil debate, I'll assume that I did not state my own position clear enough. As I stated, I am thinking through, questioning the possibility; not drawing a hard line. I have lost two family members to suicide in the past forty years, and have a couple of others who suffer from some form of mental illness. I, by no means, am taking the position that all of the mentally ill should be burned at the stake. That position cannot be found in my post. Perhaps I should say that I question if ANY schizephrenics, who hear destructive voices, could actually be suffering from demonic oppression. My position is that the vast majority of mental illness is caused by physical abnormalities, imbalances, etc of the brain. Others, such as homosexuality & pedophilia, are often brought on by abuse.

I truly grieve for your daughter. I have three daughters of my own, & cannot imagine the hell on earth that she is enduring; nor your pain as a father.

#34 michael-acts17:11, Sep 18, 2013
  15. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

Nor can it fix willful ignorance. Brain trauma causes personality changes, paralysis, blindness, loss of intelligence, seizures, etc. Personality changes include substance abuse, cursing outbursts, & violent behavior. If it is your belief that such a change can only be as a result of personal sin, then you need to educate yourself instead of spouting fundamentalist rhetoric.

Explain how medication can hide & limit sin. Upon what do you base this assertion? How does it "limit" sin without having the ability to "fix" it.

16. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So how do you explain the person who is a Christian, recognizes that they sin, confess the sin as 1 John 1:9 tells us to do and, to the best of their knowledge, is not engaging in some sort of habitual/secret sin(s) and yet often is still battling intense depression that only medication seems to help help control?

17. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    YOu have my prayers, too!

My son killed himself in 1999, and he too was diagnosed with the same condition as your daughter. The problem was, due to divorce, my ex never informed me of his troubles, and kept both kids from communicating with me. When he took his life, it was almost 60 days before she called to tell me, and the only reason she did was because she needed me to take our daughter for a few months!

His mental illness, not sin, took his life as sure as terminal cancer takes the life of a person diagnosed with that disease!

He did well, on medicine, but when he felt like he was improving, he go off the meds, begin drinking and doing drugs [probably the reason he'd get off the meds], and end up in another mental crisis. Like asthma, diabetes, MS, cancer, heart disease, etc., mental illness ended his life way too early.

The church does a huge disservice to those who have mental illness when they throw a spiritual blanket over the disease and make it demonic! The devil does a lot in this life, I think we need to stop giving him credit for things he is not involved in!

Like I said, some mental conditions are demonic, and that can be said of other diseases too! For example, lung cancer usually comes about from smoking. It could be the sin of craving nicotine that eventually led to the lung cancer, but that doesn't mean the cancer was or is demonic. It may have been a result of a sin driven craving, but cancer itself is not demonic...alcohol may cause a person to drive drunk and kill themselves in a crash! Was it the alcohol or the sin of over drinking that brought about the fatallity in the car? Some people on this board drink. Does that make it a sin? That depends on your theology, but, they would contend that it is not a sin to consume alcohol, just a sin when the need for alcohol consumes the person who drinks!

I think those who blame mental illness on the devil and sin, need to take a step back and let the rational intellect of those who know best [medical professionals] about the root cause behind mental disorders, PREVAIL! Unless you know more than those who dedicated their life to the study of medicine, it is best to check your tongue at the door!

Whatsoever you judge another of will come back upon you as Jesus said in Matthew 7:1-2, " “Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."

18. Winman

Winman Active Member

Do you mean Salem, Massachusetts? Winston-Salem, N.C. as a town did not exist 300 years ago.

Perhaps you are talking about the Salem Witch Trials? If so, that was Massachusetts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_witch_trials

Sorry, but I am from North Carolina, not too many miles from Winston-Salem, and I have NEVER heard of people there killing the mentally ill.

19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Wow... you must have strong legs to leap so highly to wrong conclusions.

20. thisnumbersdisconnected

You're right. I was writiing out of anger. My apologies to Winston-Salem, North Carolina. And I certainly didn't mean to suggest someone as lost as Judith should darken the door of that city, in the past, or the present.