1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scholars with questionable degrees?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by paidagogos, Oct 11, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

UTA is not my favorite school.

But, it is accredited . . . and I think that the individuals you reference got Ph.D's . . . my hat off to them (even if I do or do not like their degree).

Wayne

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Would you be happier if the institution was University of Texas at Dallas, or the University of Texas at Tyler?? No?? How about Oxford?? Just wonderin'.

Ed

3. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

You are correct about 'faked degrees', I'm sure. However, I'm not so sure abut degrees that come from what are often considered by many to be second, third or even fourth rate institutions. The cases I've seen are those where the alleged degree was made up out of thin air. Ones honest enough to list only the degrees actually conferred seldom seem to have this problem, regardless of the amount of difficulty in the degree, itself. Were I to claim to have , say, a Th.B., equivalent to a fifth year, at the institution from which I received my B.A. that would be 'fraud', I think, as I don't have one. Were I to have graduated with a doctorate from Oxford with highest honors, and falsely claimed to have that same Th.B., guess what- it is still fraud. Were I to enroll at a 'cut-Academic-rate' school, complete the work, and get the degree, it's still not fraud, even though the 'hirer' and I would both get probably exactly what we paid for.

Ed

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I just get fed up with all of the politics.

Had I known that ministry had so much politics, I might have told God "No!" when He called me to ministry.

And if ya' believe that I would tell God "No" for very long, I got some beach front property to sell ya'! And I'll take the money and start a Church Planting Movement with it!

;)

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Your comment about politics is the same reason why many have left the SBC. Just look at the encounters Paul and Jesus had with Satan and his messengers. What is happening now just shows how alive Satan is.

6. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Faked degrees?

Ed, I am afraid that it is not quite this simple. There are very few degree mills where the degrees are straightforwardly faked--i.e. you send the money and they send the degree. For example, you can get a Ph.D. for completing six easy lessons that could be done from the World Book Encyclopedia. Is this a faked degree? IMHO, yes! On the other hand, where do you stop on the continuous spectrum as you do more work but not enough to justify a doctorate? In other words, at what point does it become a degree of low quality rather than a bogus one?

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Well Said!

And I am against bogus and low quality degrees amongst our 'seminaries'. That is just wrong on so many levels. If we want to impress the world with our academic credentials - then let's get REAL CREDENTIALS.

IMHO.

8. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Preaching Jesus

Preaching Jesus,

What is your problem with UTA? And how does that consist of a "crisis?"

Please give me the "skinny!" I really do not understand at all. It has been done for at least 20-30yrs. that men/women have left the "SBC Fold," gone to other "big name" universities, or state universities, received credentials in a scholastic cognate, and have come back to our seminaries and colleges to teach.

Clue me in! Really, I though I had most (if not all) of it figured out. I spend several years getting a number of degrees and now I feel as if I have missed out on something.

Have I been asleep?:sleep:

I pray thee, help a brother out?!

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

9. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

No, that isn't what i'm saying. i'm saying if he earned it and it is an actual degree, let him put it in his credentials.

It reminds me of a discussion i had with a friend in college about a pastor who was a retired dentist and still went by "Dr"...but never even attended seminary. This friend felt this pastor should drop the "Dr" from his name because it wasn't in theology.

I think we put too much weight on titles and and not enough on the "BA" that was mentioned earlier, Born Again.

10. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

You judge

Okay, you make the call. If the professors do not have acceptable academic qualifications for teaching at graduate level and the coursework is seriously deficient in rigor below the standard of graduate work, then is it an earned degree even if he did the work? How much work is necessary before we can say that he earned the degree? How do we judge? I am sure that a man who attended Sunday School for thirty years under a good Bible teacher may know a lot about the Bible but I hardly think we should award him a Th.D.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Anyone who has not written a dissertation is seriously deficient in doing that level of work.

Today we are seeing the buddies of those in leadership being hired to teach in seminaries. Too many seminaries are teaching at a level that should be taught in the churches. Why should a basic course on evangelism or discipleship be taught at a seminary? Even before I attended seminary, I was involved in a parachurch organization as a young college student where all the leaders were required to have discipled or discipling at least one person. Later I decide ot go to seminary and fill out the seminary application. There was not any questions regarding the person's ability to lead. Yet, the seminary's purpose is to train leaders. Why should the seminary be required as a graduate school to teach people the basics when they ought to be training leaders to train others and teach them the basics. A number of courses I was required to take in seminary were no more advanced that what a number of church courses were which had already been established. The seminaries are too busy teaching the basics when they ought to be teaching students graduate work. Graduate work builds on a college degree already accomplished.

12. RandR

RandR New Member

Rhet and others,

I think you're mis-reading preachingjesus' concern.

If a professor of preaching earns his Ph.D. from a neighboring university in communications, particularly "rhetoric", then he has enhanced his knowledge base in a topic quite important to the subject he has been hired to teach.

Still, I wonder with him about the trend. In addition to the aforementioned professor who is a friend of mine and whom I love dearly, both Southwestern's graduate and undergraduate deans received their PhD's through UTA. I do not think it is a slap at those who went outside of a seminary setting for their terminal degree to see the trend and ask a question or two.

Are transatlantic history and linguistics germaine to preparing future ministers (quite possibly they are) or is it simply more important to be foremost a loyal friend to a certain high-ranking official at the institution.

13. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I got lost somewhere (of course I haven't read every single post word for word either). UTA?? I'm thinking it must not be University of Texas at Arlington?

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

m m m m . . . .

simple answer . . . you are most likely thinkin' wrong . . .

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I do not think that we should award a ThD for Sunday School. However, I do not think that "graduate level rigor" is what a 'seminary' is for.

I don't think that this is the direction you would go, but I want to be clear: IMHO . . . Our (SBC) seminaries are trying to chase the 'Holy Grail' of academic acceptance. Academic excellence is what I want . . . I do not want any liberal, pagan, evil, & secular school to set the standard of excellence for what we (men of God) are to strive for.

If men of the Baptist tradition want to go to a liberal, pagan, evil, & secular school for their PhD's and ThD's - send them with a hearty - SEE YA'.

We need to get back to the basics of teaching Masters' of Divinity. IMHO. (Not that I could pass a real 'traditional' MDiv . . . )

16. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

so, I can't know what UTA is? If I can't that's ok. It won't be the first time I've been told no (or to mind my own business).

#36 mcdirector, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2006
  17. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

According to Preachin Jesus's post, it is the University of Texas at Arlington which is actually a fine institution. They have a great engineering, nursing, elementary and secondary education pregrams (among many others I am sure) they have a top flight architectural program as well.

A degree earned from UTA is a fine accomplishment - now if it prepares a seminary professor is between the school, its president and trustees

18. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Orthodoxy and orthopraxy

IMHO, we are placing expectations on the seminary that ought not be there. Whereas a good seminary will have an atmosphere conducive to spirituality and Christian living, it is not the seminary's primary function to produce either. This is the role of the local church. Again, this is why we practice ordination and licensing through the local assembly whereas the seminary is to teach the skills and knowledge in preparation for carrying out the Lord's work. Orthodoxy is the standard for any good seminary but orthopraxy is the domain of the local church. Both orthodoxy and orthopraxy are essential for the man of God.

Additionally, I do think the seminary's role should be academic and rigorous. I do not favor the trend to methods courses. Greek, Hebrew, theology, exegesis, etc. should be the thrust of seminary education, not how to do it. Pastors, evangelists, teachers and workers need the tools to use in application as their ministry demands. Too many young sem grads try to use their seminary-taught methods, which are ill-suited for their particular ministry situation, and fail because they don't have the skills and knowledge, only methods that worked elsewhere. Methods come and go. Methods are variable with the circumstances. Seminary education can be analogous to givng a man a sack of flour and you feed him for a month but if you give him a bag of seed and teach him to farm, you feed him for a lifetime.

#38 paidagogos, Oct 17, 2006
  19. paidagogos

paidagogos Active Member

Well, I don't know.................

Bitsy, you may be right. I don't know but I have this uneasy thought in my mind that I can't shake and this bad gut feeling that I can't ignore. Here's the scoop.

Read and consider the quote and article link below:
    "According to the Post, one part of Flockhart's résumé was true: his plans to begin working on a doctorate at Liberty Theological Seminary in Lynchburg, Va. The school was founded by Jerry Fallwell as part of Lynchburg Baptist College.
    According to the Post, Liberty officials said Flockhart paid registration fees directly to seminary president Ergun Caner because Caner personally recruited him, said Ron Godwin, Liberty’s executive vice president and CEO.
    According to the Post, Godwin said Flockhart and Falwell are friends. Falwell is the school’s chancellor."
    http://www.abpnews.com/www/1328.article

According to this article, Liberty, at least Ergun Caner, did agree to accept the degrees and/or credits from Covington Theological Seminary (http://http://www.covingtonseminary.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=10&catid=1&index=1), an ostensible degree mill. Was Flockhart admitted to doctoral studies because he was Falwell's friend? When did friendship constitute qualifications for academic work? According to my understanding, all of Mr. Flockhart's degrees were from Covington. Thus, any qualification to enter doctoral studies at Liberty would apparently be based on his Covington degrees. It is unthinkable that Liberty would accept him without officail transcripts and Flockhart couldn't very well fake transcripts from CIU and SEBTS. So, if Covington is acceptable, then why not Emmanuel?

If Liberty accepts Emmanuel's and Covington's degrees and/or credits, then I am troubled by it's cozy relationship with LBU too. Some have argued for the acceptance of LBU and evidence of their academic improvement based on Liberty's acceptance and relationship. However, the argument is negated if Liberty accepts degrees and/or credits from another obviously "less than wonderful school."

However, this incongruity is not just in Christian institutions of higher learning. It is in the secular realm as well. For example, the veritable UMass Amherst is particularly well known in academia for bestowing easily "earned" (not honorary) doctorates on celebs.

#39 paidagogos, Oct 17, 2006
  20. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Yikes! Good thing Liberty wasn't high on my list anyway. I haven't looked at their site in a while. I know that the undergrad and non-seminary grad school is SACS accredited. I thought the seminary was SACS also. It seems that accepting too many people with non-accredited degrees would not be good for their "image" if nothing else.

Of course, I'm equally sure that they don't give a flip what I think.

#40 mcdirector, Oct 17, 2006