1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

School bag banned at school

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Salty, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The school has an obligation to protect children, even when a boy happens to like horses and ponies. Since when did that become gender specific? Did it go out when maidens quit needing to be rescued by knights in armor on white steeds? :laugh:

What isn't reasonable is to offer protection by means of forced assimilation to what a peer group of 9 year olds deem socially acceptable for said group, and to allow that group to lead the adults into a decision for fear of repercussions from the children.

I hope none of those kids decide to make fun of Christianity. They'll have to ban that religion, since this is how they handle things at this school. Right?

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    School district officials were correct that the backpack would subject the child to bullying. The school district officials bullied the child.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

The school did what is usual; they punish the victim of bullying instead of doing something about the bullies. It's easier on them that way--only one family is unset with them.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The school is right. Google "bronies bullied" or a variation thereof. If the school is responsible to check bullying, then removing a real trigger thereof is certainly within their purview.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree execpt that backpack is NOT a trigger. Where would that end? Just about anything could be a trigger.

Where are the liberals demanding that we accept others as they are.
    If this 9 yo boy (who is not allowed to bring his backpack) was to harrass a girl who (thinks) she is a homse/ual, would the school tell the girl tough luck or would the school demand that the boy be affirming and accepting?

7. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not as big a trigger as being a Brony. I would probably agree, except that my daughter is a My Little Pony devotee. I learned of Bro Cons not long ago. They make Trekkie conventions look like a meeting between Tolkien and Lewis at The Eagle and Child.

It invites ridicule and scorn, and rightly so.

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Gonna play the opposite side now that I went with the first one -

Where does teaching personal responsibility start, and how to deal with ignorance?

Perhaps the administration did deal with the other children, but we don't know how the child with the backpack reacted, or if he used it to bait them. Besides, don't people have some type of responsibility to tone things down when they see they are annoying others, even if they are right, while they work to dispel the ignorance surrounding the topic? Isn't the age of 9 old enough to start learning this lesson?

This seems to be a case of kids forcing appropriate gender specific likes on other children and mocking them if they don't comply. That's still quite a battle in many places across the United States, as we see more males accept things as children that they used to wait until adulthood to admit. IE "I love to cook and want to be a chef," but if they were to play with an easy bake oven as a child, they face ridicule and such. (so very wrong, btw!)

Perhaps at the young age of 9, he simply lacks the skills needed to handle this right and instead of forcing the issue, his family could have helped him deal with it not by withdrawing him from the ignorant people, but by helping him face them, teaching him about his own responsibility to help dispel ignorance, and how sometimes people dealing with these issues need to put up with some measure of unfairness while society works through these changes. The media could have been used just as well without taking the kid away from where he was needed most - there to talk to the people who were bothering him, which he seemed willing enough to put up with.

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Schools are expected to prevent and completely irradicate bullying. It's an unrealistitc expectation, but that's PC for you and the fact that communities sat on their butts and allowed the schools to become Marxist-Atheist indoctrination centers.

But, when one is expected to prevent bullying, this is what you get.

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Im assuming you have young kids?

11. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, back in the day, when somebody would tape a sign one somebody's back that said "Kick Me". About the third time you got a swift boot in the behind you'd catch on and remove the sign.

If this was my kid I'd go spend $30 and get him a different backpack.

12. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's far too logical Padre. We live in a society where everything must be analyzed, scrutinized, debated, and then sued over - after everyone's feelings have been properly hurt.
    In the meantime, the kids would probably all be back to playing tag on the playground if the adults had stayed out of it. (if tag isn't banned yet for being too dangerous)