1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

School in uproar over meal served on MLK day

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by rbell, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There's a stereotype that black people like watermelons and the person was assuming that I was giving him a watermelon just because he was black.

I'm also from the South and have a very thick Southern accent so there are some nitwits out there who automatically expect me to be some racist good ol'boy redneck (in spite of the fact that I have two grad degrees, am probably better educated than they are, own two successful small businesses). I always find this ironic, since it's no less bigoted than what they're falsely accusing me of being.

2. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Here's a great video a Conversation About Race

Southern Fried Chicken, Collard Greens, and corn bread.... and watermelon are favorites of the old south regardless of color.

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    oh, okay. Gotcha. hehe.

My son told me a story about when he was at San Antonio, Tx, on basic training with the Air Force.
    This guy, blond, blue-eyed, thick-necked, southern drawl and all, asked him where he was from and when he said Philippines, the guy sneers and says, "oh, yeah ? what. you like to eat rice ?".
    Another white guy nearby said, "what the (curse) is that supposed to mean ? what about you, you like to eat beans, white boy ?".

Yeah.
    Racism don' exist no moh'.
    Tell me about it, y'all.

4. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    People laugh all the time when I tell them what we eat. I think some people up North really think only the Beverly Hillbillies eat some of the things we eat.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the activists are just mad that the school held classes on MLK day in the first place.:tongue3:

6. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think it should be a holiday in the first place.

Frankly, I'm much more interested in celebrating Robert E. Lee's birthday on Tuesday than I am celebrating King's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.