1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Schwarzenegger to speak at convention

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by JGrubbs, Jul 1, 2004.

1. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Republicans announced the key speakers for their nominating convention in New York City yesterday, which will feature three moderate New Yorkers and California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger in addition to the president, vice president, their wives and two senators.

In addition to Mr. Schwarzenegger, New York City Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, former Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and New York Gov. George E. Pataki, all of whom are liberal on social issues, will speak at the convention Aug. 30 through Sept. 2, along with President Bush, Vice President Dick Cheney, their wives and a few other officials.

Bill Harris, who is head of the convention planning, said the lineup will show "the energy and momentum behind our party."

But conservatives said the lineup is short on those who would appeal to the social and fiscal conservatives that show up for conventions.

"I don't know what the Bush-Cheney ticket is thinking," said New York State Conservative Party Chairman Michael Long. "They're in New York, and so the governor really deserves to have a spot. And clearly Rudy should have one, too, because he has become America's mayor since September 11."

"But if you are going to have a big tent, then you should make sure everyone who represents every part of the tent gets a speaking slot," he said.

Three other speakers — Sen. John McCain, Arizona Republican and one of those who challenged Mr. Bush for the Republican nomination in 2000; Secretary of Education Rod Paige; and Sen. Zell Miller, Georgia Democrat — were also announced.

Some Republicans said Mr. Bush is taking a risk by moving to the center.

Former Texas Republican Party Chairman Tom Pauken said the Bush strategists feel "they have the conservative vote locked up, but worry they are losing support among independents and moderates over both the war in Iraq, which also deeply divided conservatives, and Bush's no longer coming across as a positive unifier. So [Bush strategists] feel they have to move to the middle."

"The president runs a risk of taking the Goldwater-Reagan conservatives for granted, just like his father did in 1992," Mr. Pauken said.

Club for Growth President Stephen Moore called the convention lineup "amazing," because "other than Schwarzenegger, who is a phenomenon and awfully fiscally conservative, there is not anyone who will appeal to the conservative grass-roots voters who tend to populate the convention."

SOURCE

2. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

All are said to be "liberal on social issues" which means, among other things, pro-abortion and very soft on the homosexual issue.

Here is what Michael Peroutka had to say about the lineup of speakers at this years GOP convention:

Though, at first, it may seem strange to say so, I heartily approve of this out-front, liberal lineup of speakers at the GOP convention. Why? Because it's honest. This lineup is honest because it reflects the fact that the Republican Party, including Mr. Bush, is not conservative! Today's GOP is conservative only in the sense that it is conserving liberalism!

Today's Republican Party has given us a Federal Government that is the biggest, most debt-ridden, intrusive, un-Godly, un-Constitutional Federal Government in history. This is "conservative"? No way!

That's the bad news. The good news is that Mr. Moore's statement about there not being anyone who will appear to the conservative, grass-roots voter is untrue. I am running on the campaign themes, God, Family & Republic. At the Constitution Party Convention, the panel of speakers included John Lofton, Ezola Foster, Bob Barr, Howard and Doug Phillips, Larry Pratt, J. Michael Hill, Franklin Sanders, my running mate Chuck Baldwin, and others. There is a real conservative party, the Constitution Party, and I hope more people will see us as the Party, and me as the candidate, expressing true, Christian-Constitutional conservatism to grass-roots voters in the nation.

For God, Family, & the Republic,

Michael A. Peroutka

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

CA's biggest issue was runaway spending. Schwarzenegger is a strict fiscal conservative. He was hired to do a specific job (reduce the spending machine), and he's done very well with that. He's been working hard to reduce taxes, reduce spending, and reduce government intrusion, which tend to be conservative tenents. The problem with the CP is that they can't grasp the idea that the people of California don't vote with party-affiliation glasses. They think that sticking to a party platform is more important that getting the job done.

I certainly didn't see the CP give a rhodent's behind about the California recall election last year.

4. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

I guess you just were not paying attention...

Also endorsing this [Recall Gray Davis] effort are local chapters of the American Independent Party (AIP) – the third largest political party in the state of California. Representatives from the AIP Party are presently working to secure an endorsement from the entire statewide board.

SOURCE

The American Independent Party (AIP) is the California affiliate of the Constitution Party.

http://www.aipca.org/

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The AIP had to endorse it defacto. It involved unseating a democrat. They didn't care why. The AIP does't understand non-partisanship. It's practically a dirty word to them. They care nothing of local or state politics (most of which is not partisan-based). All they care about is the big seat in DC.

6. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Getting back to the topic of the thread...

What is everyones opinion of the choice of speakers for the GOP convention, all of whom are "liberal on social issues", which means, among other things, pro-abortion and very soft on the homosexual issue?

7. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Scwarzenegger's pro-legalized abortion, but is against government funding of abortions. He's also against same sex marriage, so he doesn't fit the CP's "very soft on the homosexual issue" litmus test. On everything else, he's pretty much a mainline conservative (pro-death penalty, anti-illegal immigration, etc).

I can't speak for the other speakers.

8. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Rudy Giuliani on Abortion

"I’m pro-choice. I’m pro-gay rights," Giuliani said. He was then asked whether he supports a ban on what critics call partial-birth abortions. "No, I have not supported that, and I don’t see my position on that changing," he responded.
    Source: CNN.com, "Inside Politics" Dec 2, 1999

"Giuliani has been pro-choice, pro-gay rights, and is pretty liberal on some other social issues, but the thinking is that he might broaden Bush’s appeal."
    Source: MSNBC, "Will Giuliani replace Cheney in ’04?" Jan. 27, 2004

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Falls in line with the eventual removal of the pro-life plank from the Republican Party platform, probably in 2008.

10. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The California Governor will address the convention in Spanish and his remarks will be aimed at John Kerry and Michael Peroutka. Schwarzenegger's office has released the text of his speech through the White House.

It says (untranslated) something that Kerry and Peroutka will have to have translated. Here it is:

Hasta la vista, baby!

11. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

The GOP is smart to line up the liberals for speakers. In fact they are smart to push liberal, leftist legislation. The pensions for lawmakers are fabulous, and they realize that the only group that will support their re-election without a shred of support in return are Christin conservatives.

I wonder if Bush will again push to have a homosexual activist as the keynote speaker? It would be interestng to see God's people again making excuses for that.

12. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, when a convention goes to a city, it is customary for the locals to speak. That explains the invitation to New York City Mayor Bloomberg. That also explains the invitation to New York Governor Pataki. Those are mere courtesy invitations.

In the case of former Mayor Giuliani, it is a tribute to his valor in New York City during the Nine Eleven massacre.

California Governor Schwarzenegger got the invitation because of his public popularity due to his movie star status and his victory in the recent recall election.

Conventions are more and more meaningless. Everything is decided in advance by primaries. There are no more backroom deals in smoke-filled rooms. Times have changed.

Zell Miller should be a very conservative speaker. So should Rod Paige. McCain got the invitation to speak in an attempt to shut him up by making him feel important--he is the most liberal because he would change parties to advance himself personally and he is openly anti-evangelical although he has been loyal to Bush in supporting the war on terror.

On the issue of homosexuality, the President supports the Federal Marriage Amendment. If passed, that should prevent the destruction of the family by homosexuals.

www.nogaymarriage.com

13. Pennsylvania Jim

Pennsylvania Jim New Member

An amendment wouldn't likely pass due, in part, to the homosexual activist promoted by people like GW Bush. For just one example, Arlen Specter would use his considerable power to defeat it.

Like I said, Bush is a smart politician. Just enough empty rhetoric to keep conservatives on board, and meaningful action to the other side who, sadly, are more successful in getting things done.

14. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

As usual, the GOP will move to the left, assuming that the suckers on the right will vote for them, no matter what happens.

As Bush has demonstrated, they govern that way, too.

They figure you have no where else to go, so you'll take any insult.

But you have an alternative.

Peroutka.

15. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

It couldn't have anything to do with the possibility of Giuliani replacing Cheney as VP on the ticket?

Republican and Democrat Conventions are more and more meaningless.

Ask Michael Badnarik if he thought the Libertarian Party convention was meaningless. He went there at the bottom of the polls and primaries, but left as the LP presidential candidate.

The key words being If and should.

16. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Bush doesn't seem to be pushing that one very hard. It might have something to do with his endorsement of the Log Cabin Republicans, wno are working to secure his re-election.