1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Science vs Transubstantiation

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by SolaScriptura in 2003, Jun 7, 2003.

1. MikeS

MikeS New Member

no, it aint... it's disgusting unscriptural canabalisim/idolatry.

"ONCE for all"... thats your interp of once for all? "once-a-day, every-day"
    </font>[/QUOTE]It's a beautiful notion, one that gives me tingles just thinking about it. [​IMG] The people of God participating in the same once-for-all sacrifice of Christ, located once in time and space in a bloody manner, and also located outside of time and place in the unbloody Sacrifice of the Mass. Not either-or, but both-and. Through Him, in Him, with Him, the people of God join with Christ the High Priest in the unceasing offering of His One Sacrifice to His, and our, Father in Heaven.

In all charity, your memorial is mighty thin gruel by comparison to The Real Thing.

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Unfortunately - that does not work. Christ did not come to earth claiming "See my body THIS IS THE SUBSTANCE known as GOD. This is the SAME substance that God is composed of".

INSTEAD of that we find that "He EMPTIED HIMSELF - taking on the FORM (substance) of a bond-SERVANT TAKING ON the likeness of mankind -". Phil 2:7

So the "Substance" claim made by Christ would be - THIS FLESH is HUMAN flesh in SUBSTANCE.

Hmm - do you think we could "tell" that His statement was true? I do.

When He comes again - the claim will be "This the GLORIFIED form - and the SUBSTANCE is of GOD - " - Do you "think we will be able to Tell?". I do.

In the mean time you claimed that H20 as Ice or as water vapor is the SAME SUBSTANCE - H20. I claim that the SUBSTANCE H20 is "detectable" and that is a problem - since you desperately need Bread not to be "detectible in substance" so that when it doesn't change to Flesh - you can still claim that it chanched into flesh.

So you need another way to define water - the substance water.

Hmmmm- so you mean the meatness of bread becomes "evident" once the "breadness of bread" is changed into the "meatness of bread"?

I guess I would have to already be Catholic to have that sound convincing.

As in the case of the substance H20 in ice form changing to the substance NaCl (salt) without actually changing form eh?

But remember - substance has to be "undetectable" so that when it doesn't really change - you can still claim that it really changed. How are you making that case with H20?

In fact - where do you get the idea of "undetectible substance" from the Bible?

Fine - where did God ever make the claim to "undetectible changes in undetectible substances"?

Having never made that claim in scripture - your argument above is a case of circular reasoning. It would be as if I said to you "See 2Thess 2 says the Catholic church is bad - and God's Word does not lie - so the RCC must really be bad". You would respond to me that "I have selected that meaning" for 2Thess 2 - and that I can't use "God's Word must be true" as a defense - since it is very debatable whether 2Thess 2 even mentions the Catholic church at all.

The same holds for your argument. God's word makes no mention of "undetectible changes in undectible substance".

3. MikeS

MikeS New Member

"I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh."

"Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you;"

"For my flesh is food indeed, and my blood is drink indeed."

Only a tradition of men, formed for the purpose of opposing Catholicism, could deny the obvious meaning of these words. When you (in general, not you Yelsew in particular) are reduced to arguing what the meaning of the word "is" is, you need to take a deep breath and reconsider. Meanwhile, the banquet, as ever, awaits...

4. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

5. MikeS

MikeS New Member

</font>[/QUOTE]Yes, of course, but the Word became Flesh!

Here's one more thought. Christ, the Lamb of God, was prefigured by the sacrificial passover lamb in the OT. There were two requirements regarding the passover lamb. It was to be slain, and it's flesh was to be eaten. Both actions were required for life. Surely the true, actual flesh of the Lamb of God was slain on the cross. Just as surely, it is the true, actual flesh of the Lamb of God that we are called to eat, this time for eternal life!

Once again, not either-or, but both-and.

"This is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world. Happy are those who are called to His supper!" [​IMG] [​IMG]

(Words spoken at every Mass after the bread and wine are consecrated)

6. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

all memorials of Jesus sacrifice are by def thin compared to the real thing. are you saying your memorial is the same thing as Jesus dying?

7. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

all memorials of Jesus sacrifice are by def thin compared to the real thing. are you saying your memorial is the same thing as Jesus dying? </font>[/QUOTE]No, because a re-presentation and a presentation are not equal events. And yet a re-presentation is much stronger than a representation.

God bless,

Grant

8. Yelsew

Yelsew Guest

Well MikeS, It seems you have much to prove if you expect to convince any that you are eating the flesh of Jesus by consuming a wafer of wheat!

I consume "the Flesh", the real meat of Jesus Christ by devouring his Holy Word, and honoring him in rememberance through symbolically eating his flesh by consuming the wafer of wheat. I am taking into me through the Word, and not though a wafer, the real Jesus Christ.

9. MikeS

MikeS New Member

all memorials of Jesus sacrifice are by def thin compared to the real thing. are you saying your memorial is the same thing as Jesus dying? </font>[/QUOTE]It's exactly the same Sacrifice. It's not the "same thing" because it was only presented once on the cross in a bloody manner, but it's the same Sacrifice, made present by the grace of Christ and the Holy Spirit. Read the Catholic Catechism.

10. MikeS

MikeS New Member

Not either-or, but both-and. We have both the Word of God (interpreted infallibly by the Church), and the very body, blood, soul and divinity of the Lamb of God as our food of eternal life.

Not either-or, but both-and. Not just symbol, but both symbol and reality at the same time.

11. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

no, it aint

make me

12. Rakka Rage

Rakka Rage New Member

13. MikeS

MikeS New Member

no, it aint

make me
    </font>[/QUOTE]I'm sorry, I mistook you for somebody who was actually interested in answers to the questions you asked. What was I thinking?

14. TP

TP Guest

Greetings,

I did not read the pages and pages of response, only the first couple: Science CANNOT prove the incarnation. Even if Jesus was standing right here in front of us: His blood tests, and ALL other tests would say he was a normal human being, but we know that he was a divine person. If you deny the Eucharist, you are giving credence to ALL the arguements of those who deny the incarnation.

peace

15. SolaScriptura in 2003

TP:
    Those same tests would be able to prove that the wine was human blood, if it was.

NOPE! A change of physical substance (transubstantiation) is always provable/disprovable by science. That's what science deal in - physical substance. Whether or not the spirit that resides a certain body is divine or not, however, is far outside the scientific realm.

[ June 12, 2003, 01:19 AM: Message edited by: SolaScriptura in 2003 ]

16. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hebrews 12:29-- for our God is a consuming fire.

James 4:8-- Draw near to God and He will draw near to you.

So we are to draw near to a consuming fire, since we are to draw near to God and that's what God is?

Or is "is" really is?

17. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Your point fails "since" Christ was not born on earth claiming "My SUBSTANCE is the SUBSTANCE of what God is made of even though I happen to look like a human". Rather we find this claim

Phil 2:
    6 who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped,
    7 but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.
    8 Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

He condemned "Sin in the FLESH" Romans 8:1-3 not in "God Substance" as your illustration supposes.

And in fact that is exactly what we would have detected - HUMAN flesh. The "substance of human flesh" would not have been "undetectible".

But when He comes the 2nd time - He comes in "God Substance" not in human flesh --- are you saying you don't thing we will be able to tell that this is God - in God substance coming in the clouds of heaven?

In Christ,

Bob

18. SolaScriptura in 2003

Bob, I disagree with your last post. Jesus was/is both God and man at once, BUT neither His flesh was converted into Deity nor His deity into flesh - He had/has both at once. IN FACT, the Catholic position on the incarnation is supposed to be that God did not become flesh by conversion of the Deity into flesh, but by the taking of that manhood into the Deity. Why then do they constantly act as if transubstantiation and the incarnation are so related? Have they changed their mind and decides that the Deity was converted into flesh?

[ June 12, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: SolaScriptura in 2003 ]

19. GraceSaves

GraceSaves New Member

Because they are articles of faith, something we can never prove but by our trust in God's Revelation.

God bless,

Grant

20. SolaScriptura in 2003

They are different though, do to the nature of the things.

(1) Incarnation - NO CHANGE IN PHYSICAL SUBSTANCE, but rather a personal union of Jesus as man and as God
    (2) transubstantiation - CHANGE IN PHYSICAL SUBSTANCE

A change in physical substance falls within the realm of science, thus (2) can be demonstrated to be true or false via science.