1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scientists want to rebuild neanderthal genome...

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Jul 22, 2006.

1. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

I said

webdog responded

Well, I could ask the same, but let's take a more constructive approach.

How are you similar to the other animals and how are you different?

If you want to go for physical appearance, there is not a lot for you to go on. You have the same limb arrangement as any other tetrapod from a frog to a bird to a whale to a chimp. But I think the question was more along the lines of being like other apes. You have five fingers and five toes at the end of each limb. You have prehensile toes and dexterous hands. Your fingers and toes have nails instead of claws. You have just as many hair follicles as any other ape though your hair is finer than most. Your tail has been reduced to an internal stub. Your lactal nipples are found on your chest. You have a particular arrangement in the distribution of types of teeth and even the shape of the teeth. You have similar shapes to your face and ears though you do have a chin.

No, you look very much like any other ape. Maybe you think that God also made apes in His image and just did not say so.

But let's think about this in another way.

Humans are thinking, rational beings. They have an eternal soul. They have the capacity to determining right from wrong. These are all qualities shared with God and not with the other animals. Perhaps this is how we are in His image. In comparison, to be in His physical image would be a trivial thing. But this is one of the errors of YEism, focusing on the wrong part, ignoring the forest for the trees.

I said

webdog responded

I am not sure I follow.

Mammals are warm blooded. So are you. Mammals have four chambered hearts. So do you. Mammals lactate. So do humans. Mammals have hair. So do you. Since you were born alive and in a relatively mature state, we can even say that you are specifically a placental mammal. Just as you are an ape, a primate, a craniate, a chordate and a tetrapod. You share all the necessary characteristics with them to be classified as such.

Your differences with the animals are not physical, they are spiritual.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The one who makes the claim should be the one who backs it up :)

This proves only humans share some qualities with the rest of God's creation. We were, after all, formed from the Earth. Animals weren't. We share DNA with bananas, too, does this make man "fruit"?

I don't look anything like an ape, thank you.

Again, this proves nothing except we share some similar traits. Fish swim...so do humans. Are we fish? We hunt...insects hunt. Are we insects? Sharing characteristics does not mean we ARE what we share.

3. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

If being "in the image of God" is a physical thing, then apes very much are also in the image of God. What do you think looking like something else means? It is those physical traits that you share with apes and that if you are physically in God's image that you also share with HIm.

But again, this trivializes the issue. If it is just physical appearance, well any of us can make something in our own image. What's so great about that? But I cannot create another free willed being with an eteranl soul which can decide right and wrong. That is the power of God. And you trivialize that by insiting that it is just a physical thing and by denying the obvious physical similarities you share with the other animals.

I guess you are not an animal either. Are you alive even?

4. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I sure then the translation would have read "now lets make another creature called man, but with our image." Humans who only wish to think and act as animals should be locked away

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You guessed right. I did not come from an animal, nor was I part of the animal species when other animals were created. Why do you think man was created SEPARATE from the animals?

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is the full quote --

Notice this is not BOB claiming something - this is actually the Times Higher Educational Supplement -- but into each of UTEOTW's posts "a little historic revisionism must fall"

But of course - this is one of UTEOTW's more honest attempts to show facts - so I am trying not to complain too much about it.

7. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Then the Times Supplement added this --

as we saw on that same thread --

8. UTEOTW

UTEOTW New Member

Come on Bob address the issue. Don't go down your normal path of obfuscation.

You posted that genetic testing showed crocodiles to be more closely related to birds than to snakes and said that it was a problem for evolution as it would predict that crocodiles should be more closely related to their fellow reptiles.

I then showed that this was only your lack of understanding speaking. That crocodiles and birds are both from the archosaur branch of reptiles according to scientists and should therefore be expected to test as being genetically more similar.

You, in your ignorance of evolution, posted material supportive of evolutionary theory and not against it as you claimed.

You only choices here are to prove your own post incorrect or to prove that science does not really think that birds evolved out of the archosaurs.

What you have done is merely to handwave and hope we don't notice that you did not address the substance.

But that is your pattern.