1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scofield Versions

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by USN2Pulpit, Jun 4, 2003.

1. neal4christ

neal4christ New Member

Yep! I promise! I have a NKJV one. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Neal

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Okay everyone, which one would be the most suitable for someone that has never owned one or studied one, yet in presently engaged in teaching and preaching?

3. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is some interesting information about the Scofield study bible and its history. I took this (edited) from the following website: http://www.rayofhopechurch.com/scofield.htm

Personally, I cannot find a copy of the New American Standard edition anywhere, so I can only assume that it went out of print sometime in the early 90's. Recently, the Scofield NKJV has been republished (Jan. 2003), but the format of the notes has changed quite a bit (more like the Open Bible - with charts and diagrams) and they also removed the dates from the top of each page. It also looks like, but I am not certain, that it uses a hybrid of the 1917 and 1967 notes.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

SHHH! Some people don't know that :D

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I never think it's a good idea to use a study Bible as a pulpit Bible because the temptation to shortchange prep because you have notes in your Bible is too hazardous. Just my opinion and practice.

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Well, I have a study bible and other resources (not much though), but I have a pulpit bible, too...and it doesn't have anything but the Word and some of my scribbled notes in it. That's the one I use.

All the other bibles I have are used for study and sermon prep.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ah yes the Scofield study bible, doesn't discuss divorce, promotes the gap theory, creates two seperate ways for salvation for Jews and Gentiles and as lead many into the convoluted world of dispensationalism for far too many years!

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

How many here are going to have THEIR study bible used my a large number of people a hundred years from now? Sure, it's not perfect and points are debateable, some of them even successfully but, nontheless it is a good reference. I'd put it in the top ten percent of Christian reference work. Not the best but a far cry from the worst.

9. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Just so everyone knows...I don't intend to use it as a stand-alone reference. I will in no way feel excused from reading different versions of a passage, different commentaries, different studies, etc. in preparation of a sermon. I understand there is a critique of one who would use it and nothing else.

10. Istherenotacause

Istherenotacause New Member

http://www.biblebelievers.com/bookshop/bookstore_BPS.html

Excellent Bibles at excellent prices.

I have the wide margin, large letter edition. It is the best Bible for durability I have found. Take it from a Bible "abuser", my "Local Church Bible Publishers" Bible has stood the test, it's the ONLY one I have that ISN'T falling apart. I've had this one for 6 years, none of the others made it past 2 years.

I've had Cambridges, Nelsons, and others alike, but I haven't found a better Bible.

They have the Scofield 1917 in King James only, so I might warn you MV's before you vist, but you won't , I said WON'T! find a better Bible for a better price! :D

In His Holy Service,

Brother Ricky

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

:D

Is it me or are Bible bindings getting cheaper and cheaper in terms of durability? Glad that they use good bindings, as I've heard before for the Scofield, et.al.