1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SCOTUS Ruling On Same-Sex Marriage Mandates Nationwide Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by poncho, Jun 29, 2015.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

By using the Constitution in such a manner, the Court argues that the Due Process Clause extends “certain personal choices central to individual dignity and autonomy” accepted in a majority of states across the state lines of a handful of states that still banned the practice.

The vast majority of states are “shall issue” on the matter of issuing concealed carry permits, and enjoy reciprocity with a large number of other states.

Continue . . . http://bearingarms.com/scotus-ruling-sex-marriage-mandates-nationwide-concealed-carry-reciprocity/

2. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not be the first to test this.

...If I carried. ;)

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm sorry, but I have been seeing this nonsense all over the internet the past two days. It has no bearing in fact nor does it reflect even a modest understanding of case law.

SCOTUS has already ruled that carrying a firearm, a device designed to kill or maim, in public creates a "compelling interest" on the part of government to intervene to ensure the safety of the public. Thus, due to this "compelling interest" the states have the right to limit how firearms are carried in public and Article IV, Section 1 does not trigger a 14th amendment issue.

As marriage, even gay marriage, is not designed to kill or maim, there is no "compelling interest" to limit its establishment or exercise.

I disagree but the ruling is the ruling and will be law until over turned. (Which is rare due to stare decisis.

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when someone does test this theory.

Will Same-Sex Marriage Decision Affect Concealed Carry?
    An Exclusive NRA News Cam & Co Interview

The U.S. Supreme Court has announced in a 5-4 decision that same-sex couples have the right to marry nationwide. The decision is based upon Section 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution. The court argues that the Due Process Clause extends “certain personal choices central to individual dignity and autonomy” that are accepted in a majority of states to all states. But what about concealed carry firearms permits? Attorney Evan Nappen discusses the possible impact of the decision on the Second Amendment, including recognition of state concealed carry permits. He says it is an interesting idea, but an uncertain legal argument. He explains that it will be tough to link marriage license law with that of a concealed carry license. Originally aired on NRA News Cam & Co 06/26/15.

http://www.nranews.com/cam/video/cam-and-company-2015-will-same-sex-marriage-decision-affect-concealed-carry/list/recent-segments

#4 poncho, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015