1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Scripture dictation, mechanical or otherwise

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by rlvaughn, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is true, but Jesus also said and did things that were never recorded down to us in the Bible, were they not as valid as if they were?

2. SavedByGrace

SavedByGrace Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ONLY the 66 Books of the Holy Bible are 100 % Inspired by the Holy in the Original Autographs. Nothing else is

3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A human being who takes dictation is a robot. Got it. I'm sure all secretaries will be thrilled with your answer. ;)

4. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    :Thumbsup
    Thanks John for the clarification.

5. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you hold that the Lord forced them to record what he wanted thru them, but did not allow them to express it in a way unique to their styles and vocabularies then?
    That He could not allow for any human factor, as that would dilute the final product?

6. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Still very sure that when Paul or peter or John spoke, their theology would be perfect!

7. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hold that, according to Scripture, God gave the writers his word perfectly and without error (e. g. 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 1 Peter 1:19-21; Deuteronomy 8:3; Proverbs 30:5; John 17:8,17; 1 Thessalonians 2:13; Hebrews 1:1; 1 Peter 1:10-11; Revelation 21:5). By observation we believe that the writers wrote in a way that reflects what we assume is their own language, backgrounds, and personalities. I do not think that our teaching should emphasize the observation over the plain statements of Scripture.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I got to thinking that if Peter’s theology was always perfect, would he have cut off the Roman soldiers ear or sank in the water?
    The understanding is that if anything were perfect outside of the Bible would (going by what John of Japan said), would be natural revelation whereas what was said in the Words of the Bible would be special revelation by Inspiration. That’s how I understood what he said.

#108 Stratton7, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  9. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you do then would see this as there being both a Human factor and God involved?

10. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not referring to peter when he did that sinful act, nor would he refused to honor his own theology wehen confronted by Paul!

11. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If by "anything perfect outside of the Bible" you mean truth revealed for all people (my definition of revelation), I don't see that as possible. There are various passages that condemn adding anything to or subtracting anything from the Word of God (Revelation 22:18-19, Deuteronomy 4:2, Proverbs 30:5-6). Therefore, the Word of God is as complete as God wants it to be.

Now, anything happening concerning revelation outside of the inspiration of Scripture is by definition not perfect. Natural revelation is of necessity incomplete, not perfect; any truth we receive through natural revelation exists because of God's providence, not miracles.

12. Stratton7

Stratton7 Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I definitely wasn’t referring to anything being removed or added to the Word of God. It is perfect as is.
    I was trying to say (and probably not doing a good job of it), that I thought that if anything outside the Bible, say conversations that would have been perfect through the Holy Spirit but weren’t meant for all people or the Bible, had happened (speculation and not suggesting it had), that I thought you said that would be natural or general revelation. That which was recorded in the Bible for all would be called special revelation. Maybe I misunderstood your meaning. I think from your quote here I have a better sense of what you’re saying.

13. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, there is a human factor. All of the writers-down of Scripture were humans. None were aliens, animals, or automatons, so far as I can tell. (We know God can speak through an animal - Numbers 22:28-30 - but none of which I am aware put anything in writing.) In my opinion, the more and more people talk and write emphasizing the human factor (which, as far as I know, very few Bible-believers deny), the more and more we sound like we are saying the Bible is a human writing rather than a Divine one.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One theologian has written, "The traditional loci of general revelation are three: nature, history, and the constitution of the human being" (Millard Erickson, Christian Theology, 3rd. ed., p. 123). General revelation does not occur through human words, then, but we can see the image of God and His glory in creation, in how a human being is made, and throughout human history, such as when the North won the Civil War, or the Normandy Invasion took place in WW2.

It often occurs through nature, such as when a tribal native looks up at the sky and says, "There must be a God. Dear God, reveal yourself to me." One such event is recorded in a book by my great uncle, evangelist Bill Rice, Cowboy Boots in Darkest Africa. The man who prayed that was a pygmy, and his prayer was answered when my uncle, a missionary, and an interpreter arrived in his village years later.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is human writings that were inspired by the Holy Spirit!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you see that when the Apostles were giving message/sermon, that the Holy Spirit inspired their teaching to be revelation from God?

17. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the spoken word is recorded in historical accounts in the Bible, the revelation we are given is inerrant in the sense that the Bible perfectly records what was said. And to the exact extent that the speaker was filled with the Holy Spirit and lead by God, we receive revelation to live by. However, there are spoken words recorded inerrantly in the Bible which do not contain revelation that we can live by per se, but revelation of evil: the words of Satan in Job, the words of evil OT kings, the words of Pilate or Herod, the words of Satan tempting Jesus (except when he quotes the OT), etc.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you saying that the Bible was first written, then inspired, in a two step process?

19. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with that, but was just asking in regards to the Apostles of the Lord Jesus themselves!

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    nope, that when the writers "penned" down to the material their recordings, at that moment was the inspired word of God to us!