1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scripture Memorization

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by dave brauer, Jul 5, 2004.

1. dave brauer

dave brauer New Member

My family and I spend time during our daily devotions memorizing scripture. Sticking with one version of the Bible helps us commit much scripture to memory. Do you use one or more versions? Do you have a favorite for scripture memorization? How does changing from one version to another affect the amount of scripture you commit to memory?

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no trouble memorizing Scripture from several versions, but I memorize it best from my replica AV 1611 because its spelling and general English is so different from what I use everyday.

However, I study the same Scriptures in several versions to try to gain a better understanding of what they REALLY say. Memorization without application is a rainless cloud.

3. dave brauer

dave brauer New Member

Good point about trying to gain a better understanding. I use a Strong's Concordance, an old Oxford English dictionary, a replica of the Noah Webster 1828 dictionary, and a current Webster's Collegiate dictionary for word studies.

We memorize favorite scriptures, especially those used in personal evangelism (our personal witness & testimony).

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Memorization is great, but I've found that always having a copy of the Bible with me is a vast help in evangelizing, especially since we never know when God's gonna place an evangelizing opportunity before us. I like to recite Scripture from memory AND show the person the same scripture in the Bible. I generally carry a NKJV or NASB, but will obtain any other version I have handy if requested.

Also, I'm prepared to answer just about any question about the Scriptures, to the best of my ability, while being quick to explain that no one knows EVERYTHING about the Scriptures.

The other day at work, I was talking with a truck driver from Montreal who wasn't exactly a master of English, and since I'd removed my dentures, I couldn't enunciate plainly-BUT WE MANAGED!( I know NO French!) This is NOT a knock against the KJV, but I sure was glad I had a modern-English BV this man could read easily!

I've found it's best to use the KJV with older folks, as that's the version most familiar to them.(If they're native English speakers)

5. mioque

mioque New Member

"Sticking with one version of the Bible helps us commit much scripture to memory. Do you use one or more versions?"
    ''
    The nun who helped me write my first dissertation new the entire Old Testament by heart 6 times. 6 different versions of it. Looking back it was rather appropriate considering that she was an expert on Origenes.

6. amixedupmom

amixedupmom Guest

I have 3 KJV1611, one NKJV, and two NIV versions of the Bible. Sometimes it helps me understand a passage better if I look in the diffrent translations.

[​IMG]

Wendy

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to memorize word perfect (and punctuation perfect) from the KJV1769. I grew up with ASV1901 in class and KJV1769 in pulpit. Love the lilt and flow of the old KJV1769.

In preaching, however, I "update" into modern grammatical form (like saying "whom" instead of "which"). So now I stick with the gist of the verse in the Griffin translation!

8. Charles Meadows

Charles Meadows New Member

"Memorization without application is a rainless cloud."

And memorization with misapplication is worse!!

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I use multiple translations, but it doesn't hinder me from Scripture memorization. Some seem to think that not using the KJV alone keeps people from memorizing God's Word. I say plain old laziness keeps people from memorizing God's Word.

What I want to see more of and think we need to see more of is Scripture meditation. We need to let our minds chew on the Word. The Psalms, especially 119 praises the virtues and benefits of it.