1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Scriptures shredded at Georgia school

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Jerome, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Yes and no. A citizen is guaranteed first amendment rights, but that guarantee doesn't allow a person to violate another person's first amendment rights.

Anyhoo, to this topic, the cheerleaders weren't acting as individuals, they were acting as representatives of the school at the time of the incident. So the Amendment I restriction on government applies to them. Even if they weren't acting as representatives of the school per se, they still don't have Amendment I rights unbridled. For example, a profanity is protected speech, but if the school has a "no profanity" policy on its students, it's not a violation of Amendment I.

2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Christian college coed caused the controversy:laugh:

Chattanooga Time Free Press

3. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An individual does not have the ability to violate another person's 1st Amendment rights.

In all my time of teaching, I've never seen a cheerleader squad that wasn't considered a private club.

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here cheerleaders represent the school and are subject to the same rules as other athletes. This was the rule in Alaska, Alabama, Colorado, New Mexico and now Texas. Your experience seems to be the exception rather then the rule.

5. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Sorry JohnV, I did not mean to call you an (SNIP) (Well, I did, but was reminded that is not a good thing here on BB.). What I meant was, you don't have the brains of a cod.

6. Nonsequitur

Nonsequitur New Member

Second apology:
    I am sorry to all the cod out there. My remarks are in no way meant to try to connect you to a liberal.
    (Great. Now I'm going to get hate mail from cod-fishermen.)

7. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cheer leading not being a private club was also true when I was in high school in California (class of '71). I assume it's still a part of the school structure today.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let me rephrase:

The courts are an illiterate (substitute three-lettered word for beast of burden).

9. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And the courts are an illiterate (beast of burden).

The point isn't about what the "Supremes" have said. I know what they've said. My point is about what the First Amendment says, not what the courts, who have perverted it and used it to further an agenda it was ratified to prevent, say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.