1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SDA - inspired writings?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, Mar 18, 2008.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Follow the thread - I already provided the name of a book written by Ellen White that would be considered BY SDAs to be a product of inspiration and that has PLENTY of text lending itself to easy -- sola-scriptura testing for doctrinal accuracy.

The "yes" answer regarding Ellen White having the gift of prophecy was answered about 30 posts ago on the other thread with Doctrine #22 speaking to the acceptance of 1Cor 12 "spiritual gifts" and then claiming that Ellen White is someone we believe to be an example of a person that had the 1Cor 12 gift of "prophecy".

This just isn't that hard guys!

But as Targus has stated - he has no interest in such a book for testiing.

#21 BobRyan, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  2. trustitl

trustitl New Member

Didn't mean to get under your skin.

What do the SDA's do with women teaching and having authority and Ellen Whites role in the church?

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We stick with the Bible model -

Miriam a prophetess in Israel.

Deborah both a prophetess and a judge in Israel.

Philips 4 daughters - prophetesses in the NT.

EACH ONE in 1Cor 14 who is said to have "A tongue or a teaching or a revelation".

In 1Cor 12 we are told regarding spiritual gifts "The Holy Spirit gives to EACH one as HE wills".

In 1Cor 14 the message to the church in vs 1 is "Desire Earnestly spiritual gifts but ESPECIALLY that you may prophesy".

There is no "unless you happen to be a woman" added to that text.

Not arguing that all will agree with SDAS on this point - but many of the charismatic church do agree with this -- even though I would not argue in favor of what they call tongues or what they call prophecy.

in Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Having said that - the denomination still has an official stand that is opposed to women pastors - no women presidents of conferences etc.

But "do women get to speak in church"?? yes.

Many sing, give testimonies and sometimes there is a "women's ministry day" where they pretty much own the entire service.

in Christ,

Bob

5. targus

targus New Member

To "follow the thread" one must "start at the beginnning".

In the very first post to this thread which "I" started "I asked"

"WHICH OF ELLEN WHITE'S MANY WRITINGS ARE CONSIDERED BY THE SDA DEMONINATON TO BE INSPIRED?"

Instead of "answering the question", Bob Ryan gave me the title of a book to read and test against SDA doctrine.

That's not what I asked for.

That's o.k. - I'm a patient sort of guy.

So I'll ask the question again...

Which of Ellen White's many writings are considered by the SDA denomination to be "inspired"?

Hint - this answer requires a list that includes "ALL" of Ellen White's supposed "inspired" writings".

6. targus

targus New Member

Side note -

It is page three and I have asked the question ELEVEN times without an answer.

All I have received so far is misdirection...

Interesting...

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Hint: the "Test" was to be "sola scriptura" you sometimes "miss that point" - it's like you don't even see the value of a sola scriptura test.

As I said before -- thanks for admitting that you actually have no interest in that "sola scriptura" exercise.:thumbs:

Saves us both lots of time!:type:

:godisgood:

in Christ,

Bob

#27 BobRyan, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2008
  8. targus

targus New Member

Misdirection.

Since I am the one that started the thread, I am the one who knows what the topic is. Your misdirection to avoid answering the question does not change that.

Here is what I am asking for.

A "LIST" of titles of books, essays, letters, sermons, etc. by Ellen White that SDA's consider to be "inspired".

And that makes TWELEVE times that I have asked for this.

And still you do not answer the question.

I do not believe that you are able to produce such a list.

I take your failure to produce such a list to be an admission that you have not yourself "tested" those writings against Scripture.

Without "testing" all such writings against Scripture yourself you can not say - even by SDA standards - that she is a prophet.

Without "testing" all such writings against Scripture yourself you are merely accepting the SDA line on Ellen White and that ain't sola scriptura.

You citing a single book doesn't tell me anything. Perhaps you cherry picked that book because you have the most confidence in it's lack of serious doctrinal error - who knows.

Are you able to provide a "LIST" of titles of books, essays, letters, sermons, etc. by Ellen White that SDA's consider to be "inspired"?

If not, just say so.

If you can - then just do it.

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do the insightful posts "Bump" and "Bump" come to mind???

Do you then recall making this post to get your thread off the dime???

Then when I gave you an entire book (650+ pages) so you would have plenty to "test" in your supposed interest in "testing against scripture" you follow with this innexplicable post --

Not to be exceeded by anything but this insightful post (Clarification added in parens)

At that point - I would say - thanks for saving us both a lot of time!!

And btw -- I want to thank you also for "pretending" that as a non-SDA you know more about SDA writings than I do --

good luck with that.

in Christ,

Bob

#29 BobRyan, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  10. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  11. targus

targus New Member

Bob Ryan, the point of question to which you refer...

"Is it possible to test a "prophet's" "inspired" writings against Scripture if you don't know which writings are supposed to be "inspired" and which are not?"

... is an extension of my request for the list of "inspired" writings of Ellen White.

In other words...

Is it possible to test a "prophet's" "inspired" writings against Scripture unless you have knowledge of the complete body of said "inspired" writings?

I say NO.

If you test only a sampling of the supposed "inspired" writings and not ALL of the "inspired" writings by that "supposed prophet" then you still do not know if she is a FALSE PROPHET.

So for the UMPTEENTH time.

Are you able to produce a list of ALL of Ellen White's "inspired" writings?

At this point it is becoming embarassingly obvious that you cannot produce a list of exactly what writings of Ellen White are "inspired" and therefor I can only conclude that you have NOT tested them against Scripture but have merely swallowed the SDA line.

And like I said before - that ain't sola scriptura.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I already answered that - about a dozen times. Simply put - UNLESS you are claiming that this ONE book MEETS ALL THE TESTS successfully AND NOW you need more material -- then you are DONE with just this first test case. IT is a "LOGICAL OR" condition, the first case of failure -- is failure.

#1. I pointed out that in this ONE BOOK we have dozens of examples of "doctrinal positions" AND I LISTED THEM - that would not be "baptist" or "Catholic" or "Lutheran" depending on the doctrine.

You gave NO INDICATION at all that this was not the case. Now you pretend to have some interest in that sola-scriptura doctrinal test while ignoring the best EXAMPLE for doing your test AS IF "there is nothing in Great Controversy fo you to test -- so next book please"!!

#2. I asked you specifically to respond to that case of "claiming to have nothing in book - The Great Controversy - for you to test so that you needed YET ANOTHER example for testing"...

DEAD SILENCE from Targus on that key question.

#3. Finally we DID get your answer in the form of admitting that you had no such intention of conducting such a test on the book!!

Why is it MORE BOOKS would get you to start showing an interset in the Bible and how it comares to what Ellen White wrote - but ONE IDEAL book perfectly suited for such a thing - does NOT!!

Your agenda is "innexplicable".

in Christ,

Bob

13. targus

targus New Member

Bob Ryan - are you able to produce a list of all of Ellen White's supposed "inspired" writings?

A simple yes or no is sufficient.

I refuse to be misdirected by your double speak.

Are you able to produce a list of all of Ellen White's supposed "inspired" writings?

YES or NO?

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I tried posting just "yes" -- but this board requires that I use more letters.

15. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Targus:
    "Bob Ryan - are you able to produce a list of all of Ellen White's supposed "inspired" writings?"

GE

BobRyan recommended 'Great Controversy', but I'm sure he will place 'The Desire of Ages' within the same category of 'inspired writings'. What do you insist on a complete list for? If one - and main - of these will prove the predisposition of any one of the opposing parties, won't it be enough to prove the same thing with regard to all the others?

16. targus

targus New Member

Now that you have said "yes" you are able to produce a complete list of the supposed "inspired" writings will you be so kind as to do so?

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    #37 BobRyan, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2008
  18. targus

targus New Member

Same question...

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  20. targus

targus New Member

Non-responsive to the question at hand.

Those posts provided no list of Ellen White's "inspired" writings.

Focus, Bob, focus.

I am asking you for a LIST of titles of all of Ellen White's writings that SDA consider to be "inspired".