1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SDA Sabbath keeping?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, May 22, 2015.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

You are correct about <<Hebrews 4>>. Even about Hebrews 4:9 you are correct, for Hebrews 4:9 in <<context, syntax, grammar...all>> SCREAMS: "For if JESUS had given them (the People of God), REST [‘katapausis’] (the Rest of God, Himself), THEN THERE THEREFORE MOST ASSUREDLY ['ara'] REMAINS VALID [‘apoleipetai’] for the People of God their Sabbathtism / Sabbath Day’s-rest [‘sabbatismos’] He-(Jesus)-having-entered-into [‘eiselthohn eis’] his own Rest Himself [‘tehn Katapausin autou … autos’]” by Resurrection from the dead.

You see, neither Jesus’ Resurrection nor God’s Rest is the People of God’s “Sabbath Day’s-rest”. Neither ‘heh katapausis Theou’ nor ‘eiselthohn autou eis tehn katapausin autou autos’—Jesus' Resurrection—, is the ‘sabbatismos’, “remaining for the People of God”, BUT IS THE REASON FOR AND BASIS AND ESSENCE OF the People of God’s “Sabbath Day-rest”.

#81 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Doesnt say nothing about Joshua

Hebrews 4 [8] For IF JESUS HAD GIVEN THEM REST, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day.[9] THERE REMAINETH THEREFORE A REST to the people of God.

Why did the people that wrote your book feel the need to change the name of Jesus to Joshua? And yes i know Jesus and Joshua are the same word in different languages but again why the need to decieve?

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The text does not say that - you did.

The text says that the SAME Sabbath "REMAINS" for the saints today as in referenced in the Psalms.

Not "a different one".

4. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Your asking me if Jesus gives us the plan of salvation in Matt.19

MATTHEW 19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself

Well DHK we are saved by grace alone through faith. You dont find faith being mentioned in Matt.19.

REV.14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS OF GOD, AND THE FAITH OF JESUS.

But ya do here

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You believe salvation is by works then?

6. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

You are saved by grace alone. No works of your own doin will save you. It is a gift. But to whom is this free gift givin? David Koresh? Jim Jones {the kool-aid kid}? Or is the free gift givin to those who hear His voice and obey Him.

DEUT. 27 [8] And thou shalt write upon the stones all the words of this law very plainly. [9] And Moses and the priests the Levites spake unto all Israel, saying, Take heed, and hearken, O Israel; this day thou art become the people of the Lord thy God . [10] Thou shalt therefore OBEY THE VOICE of the Lord thy God, and DO HIS COMMANDMENTS and his statutes, which I command thee this day.

DEUT. 4 [12] And the Lord spake unto you out of the midst of the fire: ye heard THE VOICE of the words, but saw no similitude; only ye heard a voice. [13] And he declared unto you his covenant, which HE COMMANDED YOU TO PERFORM, EVEN TEN COMMANDMENTS; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

ZEPHANIAH 3 [1] Woe to her that is filthy and polluted, to the oppressing city! [2] SHE OBEYED NOT THE VOICE; she received not correction; she trusted not in the LORD; she drew not near to her God. [3] Her princes within her are ROARING LIONS; her judges are evening WOLVES; they gnaw not the bones till the morrow. [4] Her prophets are light and treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the sanctuary, THEY HAVE DONE VIOLENCE TO THE LAW.

Youll find those lions and wolves mentioned in the new covenant scriptures. The bad guys

JOHN 10 [27] MY SHEEP HEAR MY VOICE, and I know them, and they follow me: [28] And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

Also Gods sheep shall also hear His “voice”.

#86 Chowmah, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2015
  7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You are adding to the Scriptures. You don't teach what the Bible teaches.

For example:
    Here is what happened with the Philippian jailer:

Act 16:29 Then he called for a light, and sprang in, and came trembling, and fell down before Paul and Silas,
    Act 16:30 And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

What did Paul say?
    Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
    He said nothing about "and obey." You preach a false gospel.

Here is what Paul taught in the epistles:
    Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
    Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    Salvation is a gift; it is not of obedience, directly contrary to what you teach.

8. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Yeah, theres the problem. Take one verse and build a "church" around that single scripture

Acts 5:29-32 (KJV)
    29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
    30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.
    31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.
    32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.

Same book of acts where your one liner is. Read verse 32. Believe both scriptures. Cant recieve the Holy Spirit without 1st obeying

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is not one verse, it is hundreds. Apparently you do not believe in sola fide or sola gratia. Probably don't believe in sola scriptura or sola Christo either?

I didn't quote from Acts five which has an entirely different context than Acts 16. The Pilippian jailer believed on Christ and was saved. The context is salvation.

But here:
    Act 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him.
    The apostles were witnesses of the resurrection.
    So was the Holy Spirit. So what? That has nothing to do with salvation.
    You are off topic. It is apparent that you don't even know what the passage is talking about. Just pick and choose; pick and choose any old scripture that will fit your cause.

10. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Alright. But what about the spirit of unbelief?

EZEK.20 [10] Wherefore I caused them to go forth OUT OF THE LAND OF EGYPT, and brought them INTO THE WILDERNESS. [11] And I gave them my statutes, and shewed them my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them.[12] Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.[13] But the house of Israel rebelled against me in the wilderness: they walked not in my statutes, and they despised my judgments, which if a man do, he shall even live in them; and MY SABBATHS THEY GREATLY POLLUTED: then I said, I would pour out my fury upon them IN THE WILDERNESS, TO CONSUME THEM.

Scripture above (out of Egypt - into the wilderness - polluted HIS SABBATHS - destroyed them)

Scripture below (out of Egypt - into the wilderness - those that believed not - destroyed them)

HEBREWS 3 [12]Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. [13] But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin. [14] For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end; [15] While it is said, to day if ye will hear his voice, HARDEN NOT YOUR HEARTS, AS IN THE PROVOCATION. [16] For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came OUT OF EGYPT by Moses. [17] But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, WHOSE CARCASES FELL IN THE WILDERNESS? [18] And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not? [19] So we see that THEY COULD NOT ENTER IN BECAUSE OF UNBELIEF.

Ya see what they did in the provocation {Ezk.20}. They were not keeping the sabbath and the Lord destroyed them. In Hebrews 3 we are told not to do as they did. They had an evil heart of unbelief. They did not keep His sabbath

#90 Chowmah, Jun 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2015
  11. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

What about it? Every unsaved person has a spirit of unbelief and therefore need to be saved.
    This OT scripture is totally irrelevant to NT salvation. It is speaking of the nation of Israel, who were God's people. That was a different situation at a different time. The Sabbath was given to Israel, not to the NT believer. There is no NT command for the believer to keep the Sabbath.
    Your comparison is invalid.
    The author of the book of Hebrews is contrasting OT worship with NT worship; OT priest to our NT Priest: OT priesthood to our NT priesthood; OT sacrifice to our NT Sacrifice, etc. In everything what we have is "better." That is the key word of the book.

Heb 3:3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses,
    Christ is better than Moses.

Heb 3:18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
    Heb 3:19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
    They did not enter into the Promised Land because of unbelief.
    This had nothing to do with the Sabbath.

So today, a person will not enter heaven (The Promised Land) for the same reason (unbelief).
    Salvation is by faith alone. There is no works involved. Lack of faith (unbelief) kept the Israelites out of the Promised land, and it is faith that is the key that will gain entrance into heaven (faith in Christ), not works.

12. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Hebrews 5:8-10 (KJV)
    8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;
    9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;
    10 Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

I teach a false gospel???

13. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Yup. BUT BEFORE FAITH CAME.......

GALATIANS 3 [23] But BEFORE FAITH CAME, WE WERE KEPT UNDER THE LAW, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. [24] WHEREFORE THE LAW WAS OUR SCHOOLMASTER TO BRING US UNTO CHRIST, THAT WE MIGHT BE JUSTIFIED BY FAITH. [25] But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. [26] For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus

Before faith came to each and everyone of us, we are under the law {the 10 commandments, the schoolmaster}. So, according to this scripture you are kept under the law of the 10 commandments (the schoolmaster) until you are justified by faith in Christ. No shortcuts. Then there is no condemnation. After we have been brought to faith in Christ, do we then make void the law or are we to still be keeping Gods law?

ROMANS 3 [30] Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith. [31] DO WE THEN MAKE VOID THE LAW THROUGH FAITH? GOD FORBID: yea, we establish the law.

Just because we have attained faith through the Word are we now to “do away” with Gods 10 commandments? GOD FORBID!

REV. 14 [12] Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS of God, and THE FAITH OF JESUS.

Faith and the commandments. The “Many” will say you cant mix faith and the law. Show them Rev.14

14. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Yes you do.
    1. You pit scripture against scripture. (out of context).
    2. This passage in Heb.5:8-10 is speaking of Christ.
    3. The ones that obey him are simply those that obey the gospel which means "to believe on him," hence your own contradiction.

15. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

That seems quite clear doesn't. Just stick to the Scriptures.
    That is not what it is teaching. It is a comparison between the OT law and the NT period of grace. Salvation is through faith in Christ. That is what it plainly says. Believe the Bible and not your own philosophy.

You take Rev.14:11,12 out of context. It is a verse that is from chapters 6-19 which describes the Great Tribulation. When you take things out of context like that they have no relevance.
    Salvation is by grace through faith and not of works.

16. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Yup.

EPH.2 [5] Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;)[6] And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus:[7] That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.[8] FOR BY GRACE ARE YE SAVED through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:[9] Not of works, lest any man should boast. [10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which GOD HATH BEFORE ORDAINED THAT WE SHOULD WALK IN THEM.

It is by the grace of God that we are saved. Period. It is a free gift. But to whom is this free gift given? Verse 10 says that those people who will receive the free gift of grace will be walking in good works. What are these good works which GOD HATH BEFORE ORDAINED that "we must walk in"?

2 JOHN 1 [4] I rejoiced greatly that I found of thy children walking in truth, as we have received a commandment from the Father. [5] And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another. [6] And this is love, that WE WALK AFTER HIS COMMANDMENTS. This is the commandment, That, AS YE HAVE HEARD FROM THE BEGINNING, YE SHOULD WALK IN IT.

Youve heard it from the beginning {before ordained}. Its the 10 commandments that we should walk in. But we will fall short. We will sin. No one but Jesus has kept the 10 commandments perfectly.

PSALM 78 [1] Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth.[2] I WILL OPEN MY MOUTH IN A PARABLE: I will utter dark sayings of old:[3] Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us.[4] We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done.[5] FOR HE ESTABLISHED A TESTIMONY IN JACOB, AND APPOINTED A LAW IN ISRAEL, WHICH HE COMMANDED OUR FATHERS, that they should make them known to their children:[6] That the generation to come might know them, even the children which should be born; who should arise and declare them to their children:[7] That they might set their hope in God, AND NOT FORGET THE WORKS OF GOD, BUT KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS:[8] And might not be as their fathers, a stubborn and rebellious generation; a generation that set not their heart aright, and whose spirit was not stedfast with God.[9] The children of Ephraim, being armed, and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle.[10] THEY KEPT NOT THE COVENANT OF GOD, AND REFUSED TO WALK IN HIS LAW;[11] AND FORGAT HIS WORKS, and his wonders that he had shewed them.

We all know who opened his mouth in parables and who established a testimony in Jacob. Yup, its JESUS CHRIST. So according to Eph.2 Gods people who recieve the free gift of grace, will be walking in the “WORKS” that God ordained {verse 7}. But...verse 9 and 10 prophecies of what will happen to the “many”, because they refuse to walk after the 10 commandments.

TITUS 1 [14] Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.[15] Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.[16] THEY PROFESS THAT THEY KNOW GOD; BUT IN WORKS THEY DENY HIM, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

17. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Good point - faith is individual - each person either has it or they don't.

And Gal 3 does not say "before Christ came we were..." but "before faith came..."

Gal 3, and Romans 3 both say that the Law condemns all mankind - as sinners - yes people sin even today - as much as this surprises some of those who think the Ten Commandments are dead.

As you point out -- the Law for the saints has a different purpose - it is written on the heart under the New Covenant - it still defines what is sin and what is not.

1 John 3:4 "Sin IS transgression of the LAW" --

1 John 2:1 "These things I write to you that YOU - sin NOT"

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is how the Jews may have condemned Christ when He informs them in Mark 7:6-13 that they are violating scripture for daring to limit the scope of the 5th commandment.

19. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A total non sequitor.
    Where in the NT is there a command given to believers to keep the Sabbath?
    Here is an age-old question that you have never been able to answer.

20. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Yeah, no doubt the people of God will observe to keep the 10 commandments including His sabbath day. But as ive said before, the law has not yet been written on our hearts

JEREMIAH 31 [33] But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; AND WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE. [34] And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more

This covenant has not yet arrived

JEREMIAH 24 [6] For I will set mine eyes upon them for good, and I WILL BRING THEM AGAIN TO THIS LAND: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant them, and not pluck them up. [7] And I will give them an heart to know me, that I am the LORD: and THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE, AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD: for they shall return unto me with their whole heart.

It will happen AFTER the gathering to the 1000yr period of rest

ZECHARIAH 8 [7] Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Behold, I will save my people from the east country, and from the west country; [8] And I WILL BRING THEM, AND THEY SHALL DWELL IN THE MIDST OF JERUSALEM: and THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE, AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, in truth and in righteousness.

And again