1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Second Baptist Church?

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 5xBlessed, Mar 7, 2005.

1. 5xBlessed

5xBlessed New Member

Can someone tell me the differences between Second Baptist and Independent Baptist? Does the "Second" mean anything in particular? What I mean by that is, do all Second Baptist Churches share pretty much the same beliefs on everything (such as Bible version, rapture, etc). I've tried looking online but can't really find anything specific. Thanks!

Lucy

2. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I would think that Second Baptist in the name refers to the founding date of the church, ie, it was founded after the First Baptist church of the city.

Sometimes, Second Baptist churches are splits from the First Baptist. Sometimes, they may be mission churches that were sponsored by the First Baptist.

I do not know of a "brand" of Baptist churches called Second Baptist.

3. 5xBlessed

5xBlessed New Member

Okay, thanks. If that's the case then that's really all I was looking for. I wasn't sure if it was a separate Baptist denomination or not.

Lucy

4. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

It's basically "numerical order" of foundation - nothing more. In Springfield, MO, the 2nd Baptist is actually the biggest Baptist church in town (I think!).

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

USN, yes I believe that is the largest.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Minneapolis, the 1st Baptist Church established mission churches in various neighborhoods. I grew up at 4th Baptist but we weren't second, third or fourth to anyone!!

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

In my community, all of the First, Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth Baptist Churches have died of old age, and the new ones name their churches after the name of their street or some such thing. Most of the other churches in town named their churches after someone in the New Testament and their churches are still in business. Maybe we Baptists should learn a lesson from the other denominations.

[​IMG]

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In the North (as in Northern Baptist) most of the cities had a First Baptist. Often dead.

So when the regular or conservative Baptists came in and started churches they opted for distinct names:

Calvary Baptist
    Faith Baptist
    Grace Baptist

You see a church with those names and almost GUARANTEE it is started 1945-1980.

When the BBF and the hylesite groups (KJVonly) come to a town you find the names change:

Bible Baptist Church
    ______ Baptist (use town name, as if they are the only real church in that town)

You see a church with those names and almost GUARANTEE started 1970-2000

And when churches split? New church has to come up with the clever name to show they are right!!

Liberty Baptist
    Unity Baptist
    Harmony Baptist

9. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So when did the street name custom come into existence? Mine is Wyoming Avenue Baptist Church. And there are many others is the city named thay way. there are also others that use the section or neighborhood name like it was a town name. Near us is Olney Baptist Church, named for the section of the city.

10. Lori

Lori New Member

I agree that 2nd has to do with the order in which it was founded in the city.

I say that also because I have good news and that is that I just found my church home at 2nd Baptist's "West" campus (they have 3). I prayed very hard for an answer to this prayer and thankfully I am now a 2 wk old member. =O)

azwyld

<*}}}><

11. 5xBlessed

5xBlessed New Member

Thanks everyone. I'm probably going to be checking out the Second Baptist Church near our house this Sunday. I'm also hoping it's an answer to prayer.

Lucy