1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

secular John Grisham?

Discussion in 'Books & Publications Forum' started by Phillip, Feb 13, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

How many of you like John Grisham?

How many of you know that he is a born again Christian?

Have you noticed the change in his books and mentions of Christianity?

I think he spent his time building up his popularity, now he can write what he wants and the publishers may complain but they cannot stop him like they could a new writer.

Oh, Grisham is one of the few secular best-sellers that leave out what is thought to be a key ingredient in his new books and that is "sex". His only sexual content was the little girl that got raped.

Also, have you notice the good guys win and the bad guys get what is due them?

I especially liked his book about the missionary who inhereted a huge amount of money and she wouldn't accept it, and the effect it had on the lawyer who tried to find her.

What say you?

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I love Grisham books! And I have noticed what you posted and think it is great!

3. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Hi pastorSBC, its nice to see you here. I like Sunday nights after a good day at church, but I guess a lot of people go to bed.

Yes, Grisham is not just a good guy, he is an excellent writer, too. It is hard to put down his books and they are easy to read (catch your attention very quickly).

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have read him from the beginning.

I read The Firm first and subsequently saw the movie. The movie was rated "R" and had a very stupid alternate ending from the book. I was very disgusted with the movie.

Hollywood really learned a valuable lesson with Grisham on that first book.

Leave what he wrote well enough alone when converting it into a script.

I have always seen Christian themes run subtley through his books.

In The Chamber, the old man on death row had a sobering conversion experience just before he was executed. The chaplain that led him to the Lord was portrayed as sensitive and sensible.

Testament, as you have pointed out, contains the theme of the grave consequences of the "love of money".

The Street Lawyer, which is one of my favorites, deals with the lead lawyer forsaking all to help the downtrodden and forsaken and it does it is a non-sappy, realistic, convicting-to-the-reader way.

I read an interview with him after I read The Firm and the interviewer asked him why didn't he put more profanity in his books like all of the other popular authors.

He reply was, "My mother is still living and she would kill me!" The article did, at that time, make reference to his Christian faith.

And by-the-by, in your reference to A Time To Kill, which is my favorite, there was indeed a rape of a little girl.

Rape and sex are not the same thing. Sex, whether in the pure form outlined by the Bible or immoral in nature, is a consentual act.

Rape is assualt that just happens to include sexual organs.

Two different things.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

5. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

VERY good post, Scarlett O. I appreciate the additions. I could not remember the name of the books off the top of my head. ...long day.

Yes, he does use some profanity, but only enough to make the book realistic. He seldom, if any, uses the heavy curse words.

Someone posted here that John taught a Sunday School class. I cannot remember who it was, but it may have been Diana.

I wish more authors would stick to their faith (or at least have faith).

In his first book, it was probably edited very heavily, which is typical for new authors. Once he sold two or three, then they are allowed more latitude what they can print. He probably had to tolerate some of this, including the goofy movie ending; in order to get published and make it to in the business.

I honestly think he did all of this on purpose to get his message out in the long run.

I did like the movie A Time to Kill. It was interesting when the lawyer quoted the Bible and says "so says the Psalms" and the judge corrected him and said it was from Proverbs and gave the chapter and verse.

6. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I enjoy Grisham A LOT.

I was thrilled to see the very clear presentation of the gospel in The Testament and what to me was a very clear salvation experience following.

I do not think he needs to use profanity at all, especially now that he is established. I was am bothered greatly by some scenes, such as the beach scene in The Firm which I understand in the movie showed nudity (didn't see the movie).

I think at this stage he could drop all of improper language and imagry.

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John Grisham's books make a good "beach" read.

...they last almost a day at the beach.

For this reason they are best when purchased used and in paperback.

Rob

8. dh1948

dh1948 Member
    Site Supporter

I have read all of Grisham's books except the one about Christmas and the latest one, The Broker. My wife is reading it now. As soon as she finishes it, I will read it.

Grisham is my favorite writer of secular books. I normally buy the hardback and pass it around among family members.

I always anticipate his next book.

9. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

My Dad is quite the fan, I am not sure if he knows that he is a born again Christian or not though!

10. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I too am a Grisham fan having read all his offerings. I agree that hollywood messes up his plots. But then again that's Hollywood.

If you like Grisham - you might like C.J. Box a relatively new writer from Wyoming.

Where Grisham's characters are mainly lawyers, Box's main character is a game warden in the west. Start at the beginning of his work with "Open Season." C.J. Box

You can also listen to a 9 minute interview with Chuck Box on the web site which was done by Wyoming Public Radio.

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I have liked the movies to the books he has written.

Some day I will learn to read. :D

12. PastorSBC1303

A Time to Kill and Bleachers are my 2 favorite Grisham books. But they are all good.

13. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, SaggyWoman, if you are trying to soak up the full stories of Grisham by means of the movies then you are missing out.

I enjoyed SOME of the movies, but ALL of the books.

There is so much more "meat" to the books and characterizations that make the stories more understandable.

Try one this summer. I guarantee you will see the difference.

Peace-

YSIC
    Scarlett O.
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

14. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are so right!

I gave The Firm to my Dad years ago before I even read it.

I took it to him one night around 8:00 pm and I called him the next day to see if he had started it, because if he hadn't, I wanted to read it first.

He said that around 12:00 midnight of the the previous night, that he was about half-way through and could NOT put it down. He finished it by morning!

And my Dad doesn't stay up all night for anyone or anything. Period. When he told me that on the phone, I left my house immediately and went to his house and got it!

He was right. You can't put any of them down.

Peace-
    S.O.

15. PastorSBC1303

All of his books are like that for me, I start one, and I cannot put it down.

And I haven't seen a movie yet on his book that did it justice.

16. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My 25-year-old daughter is an avid reader, and has read all of his books. She has never liked the movie adaptations, especially the one of the Christmas book.

Looking at the size of his books, and knowing he is a lawyer, I have always joked that I'm not sure if I would want to be in his Sunday School class! That's if his lessons are as long as his books!

17. PastorSBC1303

They appear long, but they are not a long read. He does a great job!

18. PastorGreg

PastorGreg Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Serious question: How do you deal with the language? I read 2 or 3 of his books, but I have a real hard time justifying the language. How is God honored in that? Again, a serious question - I'm not preaching at anyone or saying, "Don't read Grisham," I'm just trying to reconcile it in my own mind. Why would a Christian use any of that language in writing?

19. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Agree, here are my thoughts from a post on page one of this thread:

20. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I retract the recommendation of C.J. Box for Grisham readers.

I read some of his later books not his first and discovered upon reading the first that it is fairly profane. Not something good Baptists would enjoy reading.

Sorry!