1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seeking God

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Van, Jan 20, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    They didn't. The Bible teaches that God regenerates a person and then they come to repentance toward God and faith in Christ. Read Ephesians 2:1-10.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you think that is not a contribution then you probably shouldn't be on forums as you can't actually have debate/discussion.

• Like Like x 2
  3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is not this thread about folks seeking God without God first impressing upon them the need?

I thought it was, and to that end I desired you to present a single OT example.

There are some 4000 or more years from which to document a single incident in which some human of their own volition with no first impulse from God did indeed seek God.

There maybe something mentioned, that I don’t recall, but it does seem strange that when you stated the OT was full of examples, you cannot give one.

As typical you bring up the Calvinist view.

I don’t know why, perhaps it is your only defense, but this is not the forum to discuss views of either Calvin or Arminius. It is to present the Scriptures and the study of those Scriptures.

Perhaps the scriptures are wrong when presenting “no one seeks God.” You add “at any time,” and I would modify you add by merely inserting “unless God first calls them by name.”

4. Reformed1689

Reformed1689 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are splitting hairs Van. You need to show, from Scripture, your views. You can't. You have to change words, change verses, etc.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Van. Are you just saying that while it's true that God will always have to reveal himself to us or we cannot respond to him but that Calvinists go too far when we insist that a "regeneration" as a prior thing, independent of hearing God's word or preaching is essential, and we are especially wrong when we equate regeneration with salvation because we then make everything else involved in salvation like faith and repentance a moot point?

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Utter nonsense, the OT saints were not regenerated before Christ as He is the first born...

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another violation of Rule 6, another post addressing the poster and not the topic.

8. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one claimed God did not reveal Himself, or allow Himself to be found...

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yet another violation of Rule 6, addressing the poster and not the topic.

10. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you not attempting to present that people, anybody, at anytime, can of their own volition seek God?

All I ask for was one example from the OT.

Maybe there is one, not saying there may not be, but I don’t find the examples leaping off the pages in great numbers, or even one. I was hopeful that you could find some.

11. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nope, why is it that Calvinist almost always misrepresent my views, taken straight from scripture? Did I equate regeneration with salvation of being made alive together with Christ!!!!! Did I say God crediting our faith as righteousness was moot? Nope. Did I say God allowing repentance was moot? Nope

1) I said the lost have limited spiritual ability, thus they can at times seek God.
    2) I said the OT Saints were not regenerated (made live together with Christ) until after Christ died.
    3) I said the OT prayers demonstrate people seeking God.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once again, a question is asked implying I hold mistaken views. But does this fount of falsehood provide a quote where I said anybody at any time can of their own volition seek God. Nope, because it is his made up fiction to cast me in a bad light.

2 Chronicles 15:4
    “But in their distress they turned to the LORD God of Israel, and they sought Him, and He let them find Him.

2 Chronicles 30:18-20
    For Hezekiah prayed for them, saying, “May the good LORD pardon

everyone who prepares his heart to seek God, the LORD God of his fathers, though not according to the purification rules of the sanctuary.”

So the LORD heard Hezekiah and healed the people.

#32 Van, Jan 21, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  13. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Ok, so, present an OT example of a person that without any previous contact or worship of God sought God.

Perhaps, the man with leprosy coming to the prophet for healing?

Nope, he came to the prophet because a servant girl spoke to the man’s wife.

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you think the usual Calvinists are posting nonsense. Did I refer to God's revelation. Yes. Did a Calvinist claim I did not acknowledge this truth? Yes. On and on folks, falsehood after falsehood.

What is all their fuss about? Calvinism claims no one ever seeks God until "regenerated." But they have redefined "regenerated" to mean the "enablement of Irresistible Grace" such that a person having "Total Spiritual Inability" could after "Calvinism's bogus Regeneration" seek God and trust in Christ. However regeneration refers to being made alive together with Christ. No one was actually biblically "regenerated" until after Christ arose, thus He is the first born, and we are actually "regenerated" when we are made alive as a new creation when God places us spiritually into Christ, for all in Christ will be made alive.

So biblically, none of the OT Saints were "regenerated" (made alive) until after Christ arose as the first born from the dead. So how did they seek God without being "regenerated?" Because they could because "Total Spiritual Inability" is a Calvinist fiction.
    Thus the stream of posts to claim the OT Saints that sought God had been "regenerated" according to their bogus redefinition.

For example how could Christ be the first born from the dead, if spiritually dead OT saints were made live before they obtained approval by faith? Thus the Calvinist claim is bogus.

15. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, present my view accurately or stop your vicious misrepresentation...

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It looks as if every thread the only person who believes the dubious ideas that Van offers , is Van himself!
    Why is that?
    He posits himself as a victim:Sick
    It looks as if everyone notices this spectacle :Cautious.
    Van....how come the "folks" you appeal to never seem to come to any of your ideas?:Sick

17. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is so sad that you ignored what I posted refuting your example of 2 Chronicles 15. Did you even look at chapter 14?

@Van, do you not look at the context? 2 Chronicles 30 doesn’t support your thinking either.
    13In the second month, a very great assembly gathered in Jerusalem to celebrate the Feast of Unleavened Bread. 14They proceeded to remove the altars in Jerusalem and to take away the incense altars and throw them into the Kidron Valley. 15And on the fourteenth day of the second month they slaughtered the Passover lamb. The priests and Levites were ashamed, and they consecrated themselves and brought burnt offerings to the house of the LORD.16They stood at their prescribed posts, according to the Law of Moses the man of God. The priests sprinkled the blood, which they received from the hand of the Levites. 17Since there were many in the assembly who had not consecrated themselves, the Levites were in charge of slaughtering the Passover lambs for every unclean person to consecrate the lambs to the LORD. 18A large number of the people—many from Ephraim, Manasseh, Issachar, and Zebulun—had not purified themselves, yet they ate the Passover, contrary to what was written. But Hezekiah interceded for them, saying, “May the LORD, who is good, provide atonement for everyone 19who sets his heart on seeking God—the LORD, the God of his fathers—even if he is not cleansed according to the purification rules of the sanctuary.” 20And the LORD heard Hezekiah and healed the people.​

At no point did the people seek God.

18. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't even read my post, did you. I was asking whether you thought WE as Calvinists went too far in those areas. But you are so nasty and mean spirited that you can't even give a civil reply when someone is trying to see where you are coming from.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The OT scripture speaks for itself and means what it says. Claiming the "context" (Calvinist misinterpretation) alters the text is utter nonsense.

The OT is full of examples of OT saints seeking God. Full Stop

The OT saints were not regenerated before Christ became the first born from the dead. Full Stop

Sought God means, drum roll please, sought God!!!

20. agedman

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Look at post # 34.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.