1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

seeking info on accuracy of NASB

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Plain Old Bill, Dec 31, 2003.

1. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Interesting! Aren't you a "Baptist?" Don't you attend a "Baptist" church? Weren't you baptized a "Baptist?" Didn't you teach at a "Baptist" Bible College? Isn't this called the "Baptist" Board. Doesn't it seem just a little inconsistent to say the words of the KJV are "incorrect" yet continue to use those very words in your own self-descriptions? [​IMG]

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now I'm confused. My greek text clearly says, "the eagle". How could the NASB have mistranslated that as "angel"?

BTW, lest you think the variant Greek reading of "angel" is correct, you do the math. Rev 8 atually COUNTS the angels for us.
    Now you and I can count and this would make EIGHT angels instead of SEVEN if the poor variation in the Byzantine texts was correct.

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like I said, I didn't come up with the word. It would not be MY choice. But it is the [poor] word used in English translations.

I am an immmersionist. As are you, I'm sure. But we use the poor poor poor wording of the world to describe us and our churches and our schools. Guess we're stuck with the foibles of our language.

Skawn - let's work on a better word, okay? Guess we can make one up, or use a Latin or Greek base. Science does it all the time. ;)

4. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Thank you. Let's take a look at those two examples.

Revelation 8:13, in the NASB reads "And I looked, and I heard an eagle, flying in mid heaven, saying with a loud voice, "Woe, woe, woe, to those who dwell on the earth; because of the remaining blasts of the trumpet of the three angels, who are about to sound."

That same verse in the KJV reads, "And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!"

This is simply a matter of a textual variant. A, B, Vulgate, Syriac, and Coptic all read "aetou" while the TR reads "aggelou." The NASB honestly and accurately translates the Greek text it is based on.

However, I am not aware of anyone who doesn't believe the word "eagle" is referring, using metaphor, to an angelic being. The metaphor "eagle" seems to be speaking of both the loud voice (the eagle is the loudest of the birds known in the Holy Land) as well as the speed at which it was flying (the eagle is also the fasted, when diving, of all the birds in the Holy Land).

In 2 Chronicles 20:25 the KJV reads, "And when Jehoshaphat and his people came to take away the spoil of them, they found among them in abundance both riches with the dead bodies, . . ."

The NASB reads, "And when Jehoshaphat and his people came to take their spoil, they found much among them, including goods, garments, and valuable things . . ."

Again, this is a textual variant. The NASB accurately translates the Hebrew text it is based on.

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

You are certainly free to do as you please, but I will still proudly be called a Baptist! Many good and godly men have proclaimed the gospel under the Baptist banner for several centuries. The name "Baptist" never seemed to hinder them at all, and the name is as old as the English language itself. [​IMG]

6. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Can a eagle speak?

7. Askjo

Askjo New Member

NASB changed from "confess" to "give praise"

Romans 14:11

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can a dumb ass?

Hello? If God says it's an eagle speaking, I'm sure not gonna change it to "angel"!

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In English, I can write this sentence,
    "Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer."
    or
    "Neither murmur ye, as some of them did, and were destroyed of the destroyer."

Either way it is saying exactly the same thing - one in older phrasing that repeats the words, the other in modern.

Actually, the repeating form (used in the AV) is the same form used in the Greek.

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes, provided they don't have the ESV, which is the REAL translation for the English speaking world. :D

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The word is in the middle voice and can be translated as confess, admit; acknowledge; praise; thank.

13. Askjo

Askjo New Member

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

KJS "Neither murmur ye, as some of them also murmured, and were destroyed of the destroyer."

NASB 95 "Nor grumble, as some of them did, and were destroyed by the destroyer."

So what's the diference in the meaning of these verses? It is not even good English to use the word (murmur)twice like that.

"As some of them also murmured" is an adverbial modifier. It is phrase that modifies the verb. Why state the obvious more than once? The prohibitive imperative is already stated.

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    gb - The greek underlying the AV have it using "murmur" twice. The AV is FORMAL equivalence and translated word-for-word as the Greek had it.

In that regard, it is accurate . . just not very good English today. Hence the use of alternative wording in most modern versions.

16. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK askjo,

The worst you have done is prove that there is no perfect translation, "God forbid!" (In the words of "Paul").

HankD

17. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Did I say, "perfect translation"?

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No, and I apologize (I am sorry) and thank you for bringing that to my attention (and everone else).

Hank

19. Askjo

Askjo New Member

No, and I apologize (I am sorry) and thank you for bringing that to my attention (and everone else).

Hank
    </font>[/QUOTE]I accept your apology. :D I forgive you. [​IMG]

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo - IS the KJV (whichever revision you accept or the 1611 version) a "perfect translation"?

Thanks.