1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seen any good kid movies this month?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by dianetavegia, May 8, 2003.

1. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Jim and Nick love to go to the movies. They're talking about going to see 'Daddy Daycare' and the spy type show with the boy from 'Malcom in the Middle'. Forgotten the name of it.

Have any of you seen these? Nick loves that Eddie Murphy bathroom humor like in 'Dr. Doolittle'.

Any other suggestions? Nick is 8 1/2.

Diane

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I think that movie is called Agent Cody Banks...we haven't seen it because it didn't get good ratings and it was revued as having teenage humor and not being good for children my kids ages. We haven't seen the Eddie Murphy movie either.

You might find this hard to believe, but we went to see The Wild Thornberrys and it was really good. All of my kids loved it, and I liked it too. Jordan, my oldest is almost 11, Haven is 8 and Lauren is 4.

There are a few internet movie sites where you can read about the movie, see what it's rated and get the revues. I'm sorry I can't refer you to one, my favorites file disappeared recently for some unknown reason. But anyhow...that' how I usually check out which movies I want to take my kids to. Because it's been my experience, that sometimes movies look like they are for kids, and actually have some things that I don't want mine exposed to.

Hope that helped a little bit Diane.

Laurenda

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Laurenda, I checked out Crosswalk and their reviewer liked Agent Cody Banks. She said there was a couple of realistic fight scenes and some double entendres but she liked it in general.

No one, on a Christian site, has reviewed Daddy Day Care. It's PG but so was Iron Giant.

Nick doesn't like The Wild Thornberry's even as a cartoon so I'm sure that wouldn't be an option. Thanks for the info tho.

Diane

4. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

PG and Eddie Murphy...I don't know...His type of humor, is seldom benign. MPAA Rating: PG for language.

Agent Cody Banks, MPAA Rating: PG for action violence, mild language and some sensual content. Just so you know.

Sorry about him not liking the Wild Thornberrys...It was so funny, and so well done.... oh well.

Whatabout "Holes"? Betty saw it with her grandkids I think, and she said it was pretty good.

5. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Holly McClure, reviewer off Crosswalk, said the sensual content is double entendres (and slinky dresses) that some teens might miss and children would not understand. She said the 'violence' is some pretty graphic chase scenes not meant for 4- 6 year olds and an explosion.

Nick loves the gas passing and slapstick humor of Eddie Murphy. They saw both of the Dr. Doolittle shows and loved them. It appears to be about the same.

Holly McClure loved Holes except for these exceptions: Bad: The PG rating is for some intense chase scenes and a fight with the warden, a few crude words, and a couple of flashback scenes where people are shot, mean supervision at the ranch and some adult issues about money, poverty and life. Rating: PG (for violence, mild language and some thematic elements)

I'm not one for sheltering a child from everything. Most children will hear the few 'cuss words' in these shows on the school bus. Right?

Diane

6. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

I personally have a problem with profanity, vulgarity and sexual inuendo, it's something that I'm excessively strict about.

And about the school bus? I know you're probably right, my kids don't take the school bus or are the allowed to hang around with children who don't come from Christian homes, ...but I guess I will have to accept that despite my strictness, they'll more than likely be exposed to that sort of thing somewhere, some time. I must admit, it bothers me to think about it though.

Well, have fun at the movies. I guess, I shouldn't have tried to be so helpful huh? What's that saying "No good deed, goes unpunished"? [​IMG]

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Hey Laurenda, you were very helpful. We looked up "Holes" and both Jim and I think it looks really cute. I'm not sure Nick would enjoy it because it might have 'too much yakkin' for him but their web site even has educational literature to go along with the movie.

Your 11 year old might pick up on the sexual inuendo where my 8 year old would not. And honestly, hubby and I are quite playful for old married folks....

In Cherokee County, Ga. a fight broke out on a school bus. The driver was asked why she didn't stop the fight. Her reply was "I can't keep them from having sex and giving Bl#$ jobs on the bus so how could I stop a fight?" The bus carries K-12. Good for you! No school buses unless there is no other choice!

Diane