1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seldom-mentioned quotes by famous people

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Alcott, May 26, 2017.

1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    These Repugnant Quotes Will Complicate Your View Of Your Most Beloved Icons

Some examples:

Thomas Jefferson, on black people
    "Comparing them by their faculties of memory, reason, and imagination, it appears to me, that in memory they are equal to the whites; in reason much inferior...The improvement of the blacks in body and mind, in the first instance of their mixture with the whites, has been observed by every one, and proves that their inferiority is not the effect merely of their condition of life."Wikimedia Commons

Martin Luther King Jr., on domestic abuse
    "I would suggest that you analyze the whole situation and see if there is anything within your personality that arouses this tyrannical response from your husband." — King's advice for a woman who asked him for help because her husband was abusive to her and their kids

Abraham Lincoln, on blacks and whites living together
    “There is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality.”

“You and we are different races. We have between us a broader difference than exists between almost any other two races. Whether it is right or wrong I need not discuss, but this physical difference is a great disadvantage to us both, as I think your race suffers very greatly, many of them, by living among us, while ours suffers from your presence. In a word, we suffer on each side. If this is admitted, it affords a reason at least why we should be separated.”

John Lennon, on women
    "I used to be cruel to my woman, and physically - any woman. I was a hitter."MYCHELE DANIAU/AFP/Getty Images

John Lennon, on his son
    "I can't stand the way you ****ing laugh! Never let me hear your ****ing horrible laugh again." — Lennon screaming at his son, Julian, while the latter was a boy and helping his mother make pancakes

"I'm not going to lie to Julian. Ninety percent of the people on this planet, especially in the West, were born out of a bottle of whiskey on a Saturday night, and there was no intent to have children. So 90 percent of us -- that includes everybody -- were accidents...Julian is in the majority, along with me and everybody else. Sean is a planned child, and therein lies the difference." — Lennon, describing the difference between his first son, Julian, and his second son, Sean-/AFP/Getty Images

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hmm.......not really, just reinforces my knowledge as a Christian that everyone, save the Christ, is flawed & in need of a Savior.