1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Selections From Psalms, REB

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Rippon, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2:7 : I shall announce the decree of the Lord: 'You are my son,' he said to me; 'this day I become your father.'

3:6 : I shall not fear their myriad forces ranged against me on every side.

8:2 : from the mouths of babes and infants at the breast. You have established a bulwark against your adversaries to restrain the enemy and the avenger.

12:6 : The words of the Lord are unalloyed: silver refined in a crucible, gold purified seven times over.

18:19: He brought me into untrammelled liberty; he rescued me because he delighted in me.

24:5 : Such a one shall receive blessing from the Lord, and be vindicated by God his saviour.

27:1 : The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom then shall I go in dread?

31:19 : How great is your goodness, stored up for those who fear you, made manifest before mortal eyes for all who turn to you for shelter.

33:11 : But the Lord's own purpose stands forever, and the plans he has in mind endure for all generations.

35:1 : Strive against those who strive against me, Lord; fight those who fight against me.

35:7 : For unprovoked they have hidden a net to catch me, unprovoked they have dug a pit to trap me.

36:9 : for with you is the fountain of life, and by your light we are enlightened.

To be continued...

2. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Hey Rip, what are attempting to show us? Do you find these particularly 'good' renderings? Or, are these the 'worst' ones you can find? The most unique? Controversial? How is it you came to chose these verses?

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just want to show a sampling from this version.Most folks here are not that familiar with this translation.I do like the good English style. We need to be confronted with wording that differs from our usual renderings. I'm not insisting that the REB is the best version. It's just worth looking into and using as a reference point.

How did I come to choose these verses?Nothing special. I just have my TNIV and NASBU in front of me to compare .Whatever strikes my fancy as something worth including in this thread, I include. I have no hidden agenda.

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    An older friend of mine (from Hong Kong) uses the REB.

The phrase, “made manifest before mortal eyes” (in Psalm 31:19)
    caught my eye as odd.

I’m only slightly surprised that there is not a lot of variation between these more literal versions.

How great is your goodness,
    stored up for those who fear you,
    made manifest before mortal eyes for all who turn to you for shelter.

??????
    REB

O how great is thy goodness,
    which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee;
    Which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee
    Before the sons of men!

AV 1873

How great is Your goodness,
    Which You have stored up for those who fear You,
    Which You have wrought for those who take refuge in You,
    Before the sons of men!

NASB

O how abundant is thy goodness,
    which thou hast laid up for those who fear thee,
    and wrought for those who take refuge in thee,
    in the sight of the sons of men!

RSV

O how abundant is your goodness
    that you have laid up for those who fear you,
    and accomplished for those who take refuge in you,
    in the sight of everyone!
    NRSV

Oh, how abundant is your goodness,
    which you have stored up for those who fear you
    and worked for those who take refuge in you,
    in the sight of the children of mankind!

ESV

How great is Your goodness
    that You have stored up for those who fear You,
    and accomplished in the sight of everyone
    for those who take refuge in You.

Holman CSV

How great is your goodness,
    which you have stored up for those who fear you,
    which you bestow in the sight of all
    on those who take refuge in you.

TNIV

Rob

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    45:4 : advance in your pomp and splendour, ride on in the cause of truth and for justice.Your right hand will perform awesome deeds

46:1 : God is our refuge and stronghold, a timely help in trouble

48:12-14 : Go round Zion in procession, count the number of her towers, take note of her ramparts, pass her palaces in review, that you may tell generations yet to come that such is God, our God for ever; he will be our guide for evermore.

50:18 : If you meet a thief, you choose him as your friend, and you make common cause with adulterers

51:5 : From my birth I have been evil, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.

53:1-3 : THE impious fool says in his heart,'There is no God.' Everyone is depraved, every deed is vile; no one does good! God looks out from heaven on all the human race to see if any act wisely, if any seek God. But all are unfaithful, altogether corrupt; no one does good, no, not even one.

55:13,14 : It was you, a man of my own sort, a comrade, my own dear friend; we held pleasant converse together walking with the throng in the house of God.

58:1-3 : YOU RULERS, are your decisions really just? Do you judge your people with equity? No! Your hearts devise wickedness and your hands mete out violence in the land. The wicked go astray from birth: liars, no sooner born than they take to wrong ways.

7. Salamander

Salamander New Member

So the Father wasn't the Father of Jesus until Jesus was born?:laugh:

8. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Um, the serpent was the first to confront anyone with the wording of what thus saith the Lord. Are you saying the REB is just following suit?

I'm sorry, and I usually find alot of what you say interesting, but the serpent surely told Eve he had no "agenda" either.

I now have to ask just what is your agenda? Are you demonstrating your right to pick and choose what you think is the word of God?

Would you mind addressing these verses one at a time to explain why, or why not you like them?

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip: So when the Anglican Version says "Today I have begotten you"does it mean only at that time did He father him?I'm using your kind of illogical reasoning here.

BTW, I'm not a preacher, but this text and related texts on this are a gold mine -- very rich stuff. It's quoted several times in the N.T. like Acts 13:33 and Hebrews 5:5.

There's only a New Testament version of Weymouth -- an early 20th century translation. In Acts 13:33 it says:"Today I have become Thy Father."

In the New Jerusalem Bible for Acts 13:33 it has "You are my son:today I have fathered you."

The World English Bible renders the reference as "Today I have become your father."

The HCSB,TNIV,NLTse and ISV all have the above wording.So Sal, think it not so strange!

A footnote for the NLTse has -- Or,"Today I reveal you as my Son."

The bottom line is that God is announcing His Fatherhood of the Son. Christ was declared to be the Son of God, which means at one with Him -- sharing the same nature as the Father. Christ was declared to be the unique, one-of-a-kind, only Son several times in the N.T. at His incarnation, His baptism, His transfiguration and His resurrection.

"Today" is the eternal now, because God inhabits eternity. But you shouldn't have a problem with that since the term "today" is used in the KJV.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    62:9 : The common people are mere empty air, while people of rank are a sham; when placed on the scales they rise, all of them lighter than air.

65:4 : Happy are those whom you choose and bring near to remain in your courts. Grant us in abundance the bounty of your house, of your holy temple.

68:5,6 : a father to the fatherless, the widow's defender -- God in his holy dwelling-place.God gives the friendless a home and leads the prisoner out in all safety, but rebels must remain in the scorching desert.

69:12 : Those who sit by the town gate gossip about me;I am the theme of drunken songs.

70:2 : Let those who seek my life be discomfited and dismayed, let those who desire my hurt be turned back in disgrace

71:3 : Be to me a rock of refuge to which at all times I may come; you have decreed my deliverance, for you are my rock and stronghold.

73:7 : Their eyes gleam through folds of fat, while vain fancies flit through their minds.

74:7 : They set fire to your sanctuary, tore down and polluted the abode of your name.

76:8 : You gave sentence out of heaven; the earth was afraid and kept silence

78:57: they were renegades, faithless like their fathers, unreliable like a bow gone slack.

12. Salamander

Salamander New Member

Why we should stay with the KJB; "begotten" has a totally different meaning.

My "logic' stays within the parameters of Scripture.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    80:6 : You have made us an object of contempt to our neighbors, and a laughing-stock to our enemies.

83:10 : who were vanquished and fell, as Midian fell at En-harod, and became manure on the ground.

91:1,2 : He who lives in the shelter of the Most High, who lodges under the shadow of the Almighty, says of the Lord,'He is my refuge and fortress, my God in whom I put my trust.'

93:5 : Your decrees stand firm, and holiness befits your house, Lord, throughout the ages.

94:4 : Evildoers are all full of bluster, boasting and bragging.

94:11 : The Lord knows that the thoughts of everyone are but a puff of wind.

94:18 : If I said that my foot was slipping, your love,Lord, continues to hold me up.

15. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

Rippon, What do you have on Ps 42:2? Thanks.

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thirst for God, the living God; when shall I come to appear in his presence?

17. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

I have no access to the REB. A fellow blogger introduced me to it. It's his primary bible.

Not a bad rendering but I like the NRSV on that verse better.

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is the NLTse on both verses 1 and 2.

As the deer longs for streams of water,so I long for you, O God. I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him?

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 100

LET all the earth acclaim the Lord! worship the Lord in gladness; enter his presence with joyful songs. Acknowledge that the Lord is God;he made us and we are his, his own people, the flock which he shepherds. Enter his gates with thanksgiving, his courts with praise. Give thanks to him and bless his name; for the Lord is good and his love is everlasting, his faithfulness endures to all generations.

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Psalm 106:28-31

They joined in worshipping the Baal of Peor and ate meat sacrificed to lifeless gods. Their deeds provoked the Lord to anger, and plague broke out amonst them; but Phinehas stood up and intervened,and the plague was checked. This was counted to him as righteousness throughout the generations ever afterwards.