1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Self education

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by HankD, Jan 16, 2019.

1. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I joined the BB in 2001. Secular work – Software Architect/Engineer

Over the years I have seen MANY debate partners come and go on the BB being of the old school crowd along with many other “old timers” here at the BB.

I have a simple BA in Bible (languages, 3 semesters Greek, 2 Hebrew)) from Calvary University KCMO with much unfinished graduate work in Theology and Computer Science (Yes, strange bed fellows).

A VERY short summary not just to to toot my own horn but to help those “newbies” and maybe even some “oldies” here at the BB enhance their knowledge in the Biblical sciences (Theology, Greek/Hebrew, Ministry, etc.…) who cannot do so in a formal way.

Many have not the funds or time resource to enhance their biblical knowledge. Many seem talented and gifted in that direction but undisciplined.

Cut to the chase: You can educate yourself because of the World Wide Web (WWW).

Perhaps others can offer differing and better assistance.

If “Honest Abe” did it without the www why not you!?

You have to start somewhere and I offer this path to get you going.

Where it leads depends upon your disciple partnership/prayer life with Jesus Christ

As an example you can start at The Blue Letter Bible site Bible Search and Study Tools - Blue Letter Bible

Go down to the BLB 1.1 tutorial site – click on it to start your adventure. Pay attention to everything said.

Can others offer different paths for the new and upcoming generation as we wait for Our LORD’s Return?

Many of us “old timers” are looking with joy (and perhaps some trepidation) to shortly leave planet earth so if you are of that number what is your advice in this direction for the youngsters(or interested oldsters).

Of course a formal education is the best way as the Spirit leads but there are alternatives which cost only time and energy.

Or maybe I am all wet? :)

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of us were "all wet" just after our public declaration of faith as we were water baptized. In addition to self study, seeking mentors within our local church was extremely useful to me. One of the leadership courses we offered was "Bible Study." Not indoctrination of the doctrines we believed, but how to study the bible uses aids like commentaries and exhaustive concordances.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good morning brothers and sisters!

I use Logos Bible Software and it is an incredible tool. If someone cannot afford it, then what i post below will be an incredible blessing to you, one off the interwebz

Welcome | Precept Austin

• Like Like x 1
  5. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    5 Best Bible Study Programs Yesterday...
    BibleWorks is no longer available.

Rob

7. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, I have it but didn't know that it was no longer available.

8. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And there are always people (like me) who can help you get where you want to go.

I have helped several obtain an Associates in Bible for basically the cost of the books

There is no excuse

10. Dave G

Dave G Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I take self-education literally.

I learned early on that some commentaries are filled with things that are "nice to know", but ultimately I decided to just pick up the Bible and read it through many times.
    I suppose that Strong's concordance has helped over the years, for things I needed a jump start with.
    Nave's Topical Bible is also on my shelf, but I've hardly cracked it open in some years, now.

Other than that, I've never felt the need for anything further.

God bless.:)

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think we have to be very careful when it comes to ancient languages. I am not sure I would even encourage word studies (or at least not without some reservations).

Too many times I have seen members insist on an interpretation based on a Greek word rather than allowing context to dictate interpretation (ἐγκαταλείπω in Matthew 27, for example).

I think we sometimes forget that languages evolve and each generation has its own idiosyncrasies. Translation is not the exact science one might suspect using language tools and lexicons. I am not sure its conclusions are even as precise as some translators may lead us to believe.