1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senate holds 12 second session to block Bush

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dagwood, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Political games.

That's all democrats are good at. Governing is just simply beyond their capabilities.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I love it! Keep the dictator from appointing people he knows would never get the approval of our representatives in the Senate.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Absolutely wonderful work by the Senate. We're bogged down in Iraq, Veterans are going without promised healthcare, Social Security is failing, and the AMT is going to entrap millions it was never intended for, but the Democrats have their priorities in order and are making us proud by using technicalities to subvert the Constitution.

Give new meaning to the term "do-nothing" congress. :tear:

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Bogged down in Iraq - Thank President Bush & Congress
    Shortchanging Vets - Thank President Bush & Congress
    Social Security failing - not really, but thank every president and Congress for robbing the "trust" fund
    AMT - Not figuring out what you mean by this...probably just eluding me.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Dictator? Hardly ...

But if they wouldn't get approval, why don't the Democrats bring it up for a vote?

7. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It totally amazes me that the libs talk about how dumb Bush is, and then make him responsible for everything they don't like.

If he were as dumb as they say, they would have absolutely no problem getting their agenda implemented. Conversly if he is responsible for all the "stuff" he gets the blame for, then he's a whale of a lot smarter than they give him credit for.

As to being a dictator; how much of this verbal garbage would still be spewed by the libs IF he were the dictator they claim he is????

I've never seen the country that demonizes it's dictator for long. The complainers are generally very short-lived, and the complaining becomes non-existant.

So which is libs? Are you lying, exagerating, just whining, or grasping at straws???

I find much to dislike re: his policies & agenda, so I see no need for this childish game of making up stuff just to demean him.

It is comprable to a couple of 1st graders arguing whose dad can whip the other kid's dad; totally pointless and not germane to any real issue!

8. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

I love seeing the Bush machine stopped from their railroading way of doing business in Washington D.C. at least once. The democrats biggest problem is that they have not stood up to this tyrant until now!

9. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

This topic is here also:

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=46004

As for my opinion... Nothing new... nothing to see... These games have been played by both sides for far too long. It's time for "We the People..." to take back our country. BOTH parties play these silly games and BOTH parties need to be cleaned out. We need to elect the honest good people no matter what party they belong to and take back our country.

Jamie

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To some extent, of course you are correct.

However democrats raised the bar by fillibustering judicial nominees for the first time in history and now they have come up with 12 second sessions.

Both actions will come back to haunt them.

11. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

As you put it... "To some extent, of course you are correct."

The actions will come back to haunt them (Congress/Both Parties) because the people are getting tired of this game. It may not happen this year or next, but it will happen. We the People WILL take our country back. With that, I am sure we both can agree.

Jamie

12. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

I don't support recess appointments, I think this was a good move,

Democrats are keeping the Senate in session to block President Bush from making any recess appointments. During congressional recesses, a constitutional mechanism allows the president to fill top government posts for up to one year without Senate confirmation.

13. TomVols

TomVols New Member

AMT= Alternative Minimum Tax, a tax vehicle ostensibly designed to close loopholes "wealthy" Americans used. However, the number of folks caught by this reach the tens of millions (Most, middle income Americans) and will climb thanks to Congress brainlessly failing to index for inflation. Most people on the stump claim to want to fix it or eliminate it (GOP wants to do the latter). No one ever actually does anything. They're too busy holding 12 second procedural sessions

14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fix for alternative minimum tax OKd

New law aids middle class, but refunds may be delayed

Jeffrey H. Birnbaum, Washington Post
    Thursday, December 20, 2007

(12-20) 04:00 PST Washington --
    Congress gave final approval Wednesday to a bill that would protect about 20 million households from a tax increase caused by the alternative minimum tax, but the legislation passed so late in the year that 15 million Americans will probably have to wait longer than usual to get their refunds in 2008.

The House voted 352-64 to prevent middle- and upper-middle-income taxpayers from being hit by the AMT, which was designed in 1969 to target only the very rich. President Bush was expected to quickly sign the measure.

The Internal Revenue Service had urged lawmakers to act sooner, warning that the longer they waited to repair, or "patch," the AMT, the more disruption taxpayers would encounter when they filed their 2007 tax returns. The rules governing the AMT affect not just people who are forced to pay the levy, but also almost all taxpayers who itemize deductions.

The IRS has said it needs seven weeks from the patch's enactment to adjust its computers to the change. Given the lag time, as many as 15.5 million tax refunds totaling $39 billion will be delayed next year, the IRS oversight board has estimated. In other words, 11 percent of 140 million filers will probably have to wait a little longer to get their money back from the IRS.

- rest at www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/12/20/MNS7U1H9D.DTL

IRS says late AMT law won't hold up tax refunds

BY TAMI LUHBY
    December 28, 2007

Looks like most Americans will get their tax refunds on time after all.

The Internal Revenue Service, which had warned of processing and refund delays because of Congress' late passage of the alternative minimum tax bill, said yesterday it will be able to start processing returns for a majority of people as usual in mid-January.

"For most taxpayers, it will be no different from how it's been done in the past," said Carol Markman, a partner at Feldman Meinberg & Co., an accounting firm in Syosset.

However, as many as 13.5 million taxpayers will have to wait to file their forms until the IRS reprograms its computers to accept five AMT-related forms. The agency hopes to update its systems by Feb. 11, so at most only 4 million early filers who use these forms would be affected.

- rest at www.newsday.com/business/ny-bzamt285516868dec28,0,1027689.story

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are there any other areas of the Constitution you would like to see stymied by Congress to satisfy their political agendas?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Article II, Section 2 of the U.S. constitution:

The President shall have power to fill up all vacancies that may happen during the recess of the Senate, by granting commissions which shall expire at the end of their next session.

If we look more closely at the words that I have placed in bold we see that recess appointments were intended to be made for vacancies that may happen while the Senate is in recess. It was not the original intent of the authors of the constitution that recess appointments be used as an end run around the Senate. Recess appointments were to be made for vacancies that happened when the Senate was not in session, not for vacancies that already existed before the Senate went into recess.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "...the very nature of the executive power requires that it shall always be ''in capacity for action,'' Attorneys General early came to interpret ''happen'' to mean ''happen to exist,'' and long continued practice securely establishes this construction. It results that whenever a vacancy may have occurred in the first instance, or for whatever reason, if it still continues after the Senate has ceased to sit and so cannot be consulted, the President may fill it in the way described."

From findlaw.

The other side of that coin is that some "recess appointments" would not be necessary if the Senate was not , I believe illegally, subbordinating the Constitution to Senate rules.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know, carpro. I know.

We long since strayed from the original intent of the U.S. constitution in many ways. This activity is not a new thing. :(

19. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Too bad a lot of "regular sesions" are not just twelve seconds long! :rolleyes:

Ed