1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator McCain - the "Let them eat cake" candidate

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 30, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==McCain's statement is supported by ALL who believe in limited government. His statement, I am sure, would be backed 100% by Ron Paul. So by being critical of McCain's statement it seems that you have done a 180. Not just in your choice of a candidate but also in your positions. You supported a candidate, Ron Paul, who believes in little to no government programs. Yet now you are critical of John McCain for putting forward the same argument that Ron Paul did when you supported him. Either you have never really been a limited government person or you have gone through a major change over the past few months. Which is it?

A federal government that is "laissez faire" would be wonderful. We could cut taxes, spending, and save lives.

3. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I could argue that sometimes people are not acting irresponsibly, but rather are given false information. Some people just aren't capable of making good decisions. All kinds of mitigating circumstances occur. Do we just say, "tough luck...sucks to be you"? I don't think so.

4. chuck2336

chuck2336 Member

Great thought!!!

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As I have mentioned before I have been becoming more progressive economically during the past couple of years. Early in my life I was a Democrat, having been reared in Texas when being a Republican was an oddity. Perhaps I am simply returning to what is a more natural fit for me politically. I have never felt comfortable in the Republican Party. I remember attending a local Republican Party meeting back in 1988 and I was completely put off by the right-wing fundamentalist tone of the meeting.

But again, why I am the issue?

6. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly! So when you get your arm hacked off in a factory due to sub-standard working conditions, you can rejoice that you have low taxes!

Laissez-faire will work, but at what cost? I prefer a method that preserves a generally free market but ensures competition and safety.

7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

They have to make you the issue. If they didn't it would make them look even more cold-hearted than they appear already. Most of these types of people would be proud to have Hoover as president. Just wait until the crisis strikes them and they will sing a different tune.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Back when I was in the sixth grade we were in a huge flood due to Hurricane Beulah and had 3 feet of water in our house for several days(and our house was on blocks). I remember my parents getting a loan from the government to fix the inside of our house and after my parents repaid some portion of it that the rest of it was forgiven.

I have been thinking about that and how grateful I was for the assistance to my family. I think that my being an economic libertarian finally just toppled over. :)

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

I don't know, but I can't help but think that the reason some are so upset about the government taxing them and using the money to help people in need it just plain selfishness disguised in love for the Constitution.