1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Separation: How far do you go

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by pastorjeff, Dec 1, 2004.

1. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

I have read many people holding high standards of separation on this board. My question is what constitutes a good reason for separation? Is it just any doctrinal differences, or are there main ones that you stick with? Is seperation ecclesiastical or perasonal? Opinions and reasons requested.

2. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

I believe that we should preach and practice holiness. If the Bible says "don't" then we had better "don't". If the Bible says "do" then we had better "do".

Where we get into trouble is when we let traditions and extreme interpretations rule us. The Pharasies ruled that way. They set up standards of separation that went beyond the scripture. The very next step was/is to make those superscriptural "standards" the most important thing.

The Devil is a jujitsu artist. He uses the momentum (Body weight/inertia) to push us to extremes. It makes him no difference if we are carnal or Pharisaical.

I liken it to a freeway with a minimum and maximum speed limit. Go too slow, get a ticket. (Or rarely reach your destination.) Go too fast, get a ticket. (Or have a terrible wreck.)

The Bible is the speed limit sign.

Lacy

3. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are separated as a church from doctrinal error and ecclesiatical compromise. We will not cooperate with non-evangelicals.

We are separated as individuals from sin, the world, and from other believers who walk disorderly (not in agreement with the rule of the Word of God)

We are still married after nearly 35 years, which shows that in spite of my separatist position, I am a compromiser. :rolleyes:

4. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

That is funny Dr. Bob. I am afraid we may get these answers from most people. The reason I ask is because it seems like people want to seperate themselves on every little issue.