1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seperation

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Prince of Preachers, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Prince of Preachers

Prince of Preachers New Member

What does this mean to a Christain, and is it a command?How far does it go? How little should one have?

2. Wisdom Seeker

Wisdom Seeker New Member

Good question... I will answer this way... enough to be considered different or peculiar to the unsaved world.

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Individual separation is from the world, meaning the world's values and practices. It is to separate from sinful activities. It also involves separating from "Christians" whose lives demonstrate disobedience to Scripture.

Corporate separation is for a church or institution to separate from apostasy and disobedient believers.

It is based on the biblical doctrine of God's holiness. It is an essential part of growing obedience for all believers.

On a personal level, it means separation from those things/people which cause us to sin or cause us to lose our passion for God. It involves finding a church that practices biblical separation.

On a corporate level it means separating from those who are unbiblical in their doctrine or who are disobedient to the commands of Scripture.

[ December 07, 2002, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Pastor Larry ]

4. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, that was what I was going to say! [​IMG]

5. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry,

I agree with everything you had to say. The problem is, the overwhelming majority of Christians do not believe it; or at least they do not practise it. We all say "Amen!" to what you've written, but as soon as we begin to define standards of separation, we hear the cry, "LEGALIST!"

I think we have forgotten the holy Spirit's warning when He said through John:
    1John 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
    16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
    17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever. (KJV)

If we love the Father and not the world, can the standards of separation be too high?

[ December 07, 2002, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Pastor Bob 63 ]

6. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's interesting. My wife and I were discussing this issue just the other day. Maybe the line to draw is if our seperation takes us out of the world so much that our testimony no longer reaches it (such as with the Amish), and we have lost the desire to evangelize the lost. What do you think?

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Refreshed,

I think that Christians can go to extremes in this area like they can in almost any other area of the Christian life. The proper balance is to live between the extremes.

Extreme #1 - Imitation of the world. Some Christians seek to escape the wrath, scorn, mockery, and rejection of the world by becoming just like them. John 17:14 I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world , even as I am not of the world. (KJV)

Romans 12:2 clearly teaches that we are not to be conformed to this world. Instead of imitating the world we are to be diffeent than the world. II Cor. 6:17

There is the danger of going to the opposite extreme which is:
    Extreme #2 - Isolation from the world. Jesus never intended for the Christian to be removed from this world. John 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world...(KJV)

God does not want His people isolated from the world. We are to act as salt and light to influence and impact this world for His sake. I came across a poem that illustrates someone with this very attitude. Unfortunately, I've met people like this.
    Believe as I believe - no more no less;
    That I am right, and no one else confess.
    Feel as I feel, think only as I think;
    Eat what I eat, drink what I drink.
    Look as I look, do always as I do;
    And then, and only then, I'll fellowship with you.

This attitude is just as extreme and dangerous as the first. We need to find the proper balance. I believe the proper balance is:
    Insulation in the world. John 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil . (KJV)

Christians can keep living in a filthy world by taking heed to God's Word and applying it to their life. Ps 119:9 Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. (KJV)

How is a Christian supposed to live in this world? Not by imitating this world. Not by isolating themselves from this world. But by insulating themselves with the Word of God and keeping our eyes on Him and not the world around us.

8. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent post. Thank you.