1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sequence of Scriptures

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by drfuss, Jan 16, 2007.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

In studying Jeremiah, I noticed that the prophecies are not in chronological order, such as chapter 44 describes the Jews who went to Egypt and chapter 45 skipped back at least 12 years to the time of King Jehoiakim in Judah. This type of thing occurs a number of times throughout the Book.

I have heard that a number of Old Testament prophets presented things out of sequence.

Is this true of other O.T. prophets?

If this is true, does this cause problems in determining the interpretation of sequence of events for prophecies of the future, i.e. end time events?

Is this true for the book of Revelations or Matthew 24?

2. wpe3bql

wpe3bql Member

Way back in January, 2007, drfuss posted a question regarding his difficulty in arranging the sequence of events in Jeremiah 44 and 45.

While his OP was over 8 years ago, I didn't notice any replies to it.

IMHO, this brings up an even larger question, namely, just how do we precisely interpret Bible prophecy in both the Old and the New Testaments.

Are there different rules/principles for figuring out OT prophecies as opposed to NT prophecies?

I realize that some prophecies have different fulfillment dates, IOW, some were fulfilled in a relatively short period of time whereas others may have been fulfilled hundreds of years later (Like those OT prophecies involving Christ's first coming), and some have yet to be fulfilled.

So, how does one distinguish what prophecies were fulfilled at what precise period of time?

Also, I've read that some prophecies have more than just one fulfillment as far as time is concerned, e.g., some Messianic prophecies talk about both of Christ's appearances without making any clear distinction between the two appearances.

How do we precisely know which ones are which?

Then there's the problem of Christ's Olivet Discourse in Matthew 24-25. How exactly do we put His statements in precise chronological order?

Some people will tell you that the bulk of these prophecies were fulfilled in the A.D. 70 destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans, but others will claim that many of these prophecies weren't fulfilled until at least the 1948 or at an even later date that hasn't happened yet.

Another example would be of the events that occurred on Pentecost in Acts 2:14-21. Here Peter says that the outpouring of the HS was a fulfillment of Joel 2:28-32.

However, what happened on Pentecost probably was, at most, only a fulfillment of Joel 2:29. What about the rest of Joel's prophecy in the passage referred to?

I don't make any claims on knowing how one goes about determining these sorts of questions regarding Biblical prophecy.

For one thing, a lot of these questions on unfulfilled prophecy might depend on how a person generally interprets things in the future, i.e., is he an advocate of the Pre-Mill outlook, or is he in the Post-Mill or the A-Mill camps.

Can any of you BB theological giants recommend any good books/resources that deal with these sorts of perplexities in the interpretation of Bible prophecies?