1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Server pay

Discussion in 'Money Talk$' started by Brian30755, May 17, 2008.

1. Brian30755

Brian30755 New Member

Have any of you ever worked as a server (waiter, waitress) in a restaurant?

I'm just curious, or nosy, about what kind of money you can make.

I overheard a couple of waitresses the other day talking about how little money they were making. But when I go out to eat, I look around at how many customers the server is taking care of, and I make a guess at how many customers they serve during an 8-hour shift, and I think if every customer only tipped $1 or $2, the server should be making a pretty decent night's pay. (Yeah, I know their employer doesn't even pay them minimum wage, but I'm just talking about tips.) I usually try to tip 15% to 20%, but I know that everyone doesn't.

Anyway, I'm just wondering. If you've ever worked as a server in a restaurant, maybe you can shed some light on this for me. I'd be interested to know how much someone could realistically make.

2. queenbee

queenbee Member

Here in BC, the minimum wage right now (it's different in each province) is $8.00 per hour. Sounds luxurious doesn't it? This province in particular is one of the highest taxed provinces in the country and Canada's taxes are some of the highest anywhere. Both of my sons worked in the past at McJobs and brought home very little money after taxes, etc. I don't recall them getting too many tips either.

There has been no increase to the minimum wage in the last six years in this province and cost of living here is extremely expensive. There's a petition in front of our provincial govt. right now to increase minimum wage to at least $10 per hour and index future increases to growth in inflation and I sincerely hope it goes through. People can barely scrape by in this prov. with less than $10 per hour at any job in our current economy.

Don't forget that in many establishments, tips are pooled and then doled out according to the pecking order, so the dishwasher or the newbie might only get a small percentage of the tips and come home with $9 and a bit after deductions for working 1 long, very late, 8 hour shift.