1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

serving as a deacon after divorce

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mk7, Feb 15, 2005.

1. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your rant is moot since no one on this thread is justifying divorce. We just want you to be consistent in applying all the standards of a deacon to the persons entire life instead of just one standard to their entire life and the others to the situation today.

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

We've all 'injured' someone, TC, in one way or another. Causing an accident could be blamed on your wife putting on makeup while driving or you talking on your cell phone to your golfing buddy. The outcome remains the same even tho the cause was much different. All were 'bad choices' and in many states, against the law.

We could get really ridiculous and say NO MAN who has ever had a 2 year old child could be a deacon. I'd like to meet the man who was able to control the behavior of a two year old every minute of every day.

3. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Sorry TC. Divorced persons stay divorced persons. A man who is quarrelsome after losing sleep is not the same as a man who is quarrelsome every day of his life but a divorced man is always a divorced man.

4. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, it seems that some sins are worse than others even if the affects of both are permanent.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Diane,

Do you think there is still time to repent?

Do you think that ... someday ... just maybe ... God's people will read that humble mouthpiece of God ... and tremble in fear at what is coming because of our sins ...

Maybe, like Jeremiah, they will see divorce as a curse from God ...

6. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now you are going to silly extremes. If a man gets drunk every day and then gets saved and stops drinking and a man get divorced and then gets saved, why is the first elegible to be a deacon after a time of growth and maturity, but the second one isn't? Which is what some here seem to be arguing.

7. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I knew this was coming! Yes, God does forgive our sins when we repent and turn from those sins but the punishment and stigma remain. One man 'used to drink' but the other man ( by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme) remains a divorced man and becomes an adulterer if he remarries.

Mark 10:11 So He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her.

2 Samuel 12:10 Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.' 11 Thus says the Lord: 'Behold, I will raise up adversity against you from your own house; and I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun. 12 For you did it secretly, but I will do this thing before all Israel, before the sun.' " 13 So David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the Lord." And Nathan said to David, "The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die. 14 However, because by this deed you have given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also who is born to you shall surely die."

2 Samuel 12:15b And the Lord struck the child that Uriah's wife bore to David, and it became ill. 16 David therefore pleaded with God for the child, and David fasted and went in and lay all night on the ground. 17 So the elders of his house arose and went to him, to raise him up from the ground. But he would not, nor did he eat food with them. 18 Then on the seventh day it came to pass that the child died.........................

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Diane,

Tell 'em! God never said that He gave divorce as a blessing.

WOE ... We could find Jeremiah's bones about now ... Just look for a heat source ...

I am sorry ... It is probably not politically correct to believe in miracles

9. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

TC

Diane never said that ... but, God has always been clear. Divorce is not just a sin. It means that HE IS ANGRY ...

A drunk is a drunken fool. Don't deny that, but I won't deny that God says do not Divorce ...

11. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As already pointed out nobody is justifying divorce. Drunkeness is horrible and divorce is horrible. Both leave permanent scars on the affected party. Yet, some here will excuse one and not the other even if the person gets saved after the fact.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

If your friend has done that much damage while drinking, I doubt that he would have a problem with me examining him on the board and quizing his repentence ...

A man has an humble look of fear and dread as he goes through the questioning ... fear of God's Wrath ... and dread that he might fail God in this mission ...

13. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God also said not to be drunk. And I will not deny that.

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I do NOT drink and am very anti drinking but can you show me in scripture where it says God HATES drinking? We see the stigma and ramifications of drinking, including illness that leads to death, but show me the scripture, please.

15. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

I did not and have not ever said that I will not forgive.

But, for some reason God said do not forget divorce

... He is clear on that.
    ... At least to me, He is clear. I have never seen anything in Scripture that changes that.

I said something before like we can agree to disagree.
    But, I will not choose to disagree with God and His Word on this. I do not know why He is so against divorce all the way through Scripture, but He is.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

There are churches that do ordain men as deacons.

I do not break fellowship with those churches ...

But, I have never met an ordained man that was divorced who tho't this was an "easy" forgiveness issue. Each and everyone that I have known, has taken it very, very seriously ...

I believe that if I was divorced, that God would not have called me to the ministry ...

17. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I believe it's because divorce is indicative of our, as the Bride of Christ, putting material things and this world or others before God. God tells us that He is a jealous God.

Ex 20:5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Ex 34:14 (for you shall worship no other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God),

De 4:24 For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

De 5:9 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

De 6:15 (for the Lord your God is a jealous God among you), lest the anger of the Lord your God be aroused against you and destroy you from the face of the earth.

Jos 24:19 But Joshua said to the people, "You cannot serve the Lord, for He is a holy God. He is a jealous God; He will not forgive your transgressions nor your sins.

Eze 39:25 "Therefore thus says the Lord God: 'Now I will bring back the captives of Jacob, and have mercy on the whole house of Israel; and I will be jealous for My holy name--

Na 1:2 God is jealous, and the Lord avenges; The Lord avenges and is furious. The Lord will take vengeance on His adversaries, And He reserves wrath for His enemies;

18. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Jeremiah was clear about it ...

Jeremiah 8:10 (King James Version)
    Therefore will I give their wives unto others ...

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Diane

God bless!

20. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

And God Bless you too, Wayne!