1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seventh Day Adventists and Baptism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by carpro, May 27, 2006.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The only reason I asked about your personal belief concerning EW was this statement you made earlier:

Given that many Adventists admit that Ellen White was among those in the NT church given that gift over the ages - it is not surprising that they make that connection.

Your use of the word "many" sort of left the door open for candidates for Baptism to disagree that EW was a prophet. Can they?

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Yes. There are a number (not the majority by any means) that do not agree that Ellen White had the gift of prophecy.

Also it is not uncommon for a new candidate to go through all the 28 fundamental beliefs and yet not be fully comfortable with the idea of a confirmed modern day prophet (if you consider "modern" to include the 1800's primarily and a few years in the 1900's). Since we emphasize a sola scriptura approach to doctrines and insist that the candidates only rely on Bible proofs for the doctrines - there are a number that do not simply jump into reading Ellen White's books until a few years after they are Baptized.

#22 BobRyan, Jun 4, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2006
  3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK

But I will tell you that your assessment conflicts with what I have been told by local SDAs.

They basically said that if a candidate did not agree that EW was a prophet during their 28 basic beliefs instruction that they never got to the vows for baptism.

Do different churches look at this differently?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is true. Local congregations will sometimes take a stricter stance than the denomination does or than Ellen White herself allowed in her own statements. She was insistant that acceptance of the 1Cor 12 gift given to her NOT be made a test of fellowship.

I believe there are "Some" local congregations that might choose to ignore that - but the church as a whole does not.

However if the person denies spiritual gifts altogether - almost no SDA congregation would accept that as "agreement".

In Christ,

Bob