1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Bible translation "cuss"?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by robycop3, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

And this moderator does and will swiftly move to action should the KJV be attacked.

I wonder if those who persist in the KJV usage of p*** use the same word in every day conversation. If not, why not? Should our speech, to the best of our ability, not mirror God's speech?

#61 NaasPreacher (C4K), Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  2. Forever settled in heaven

now, now, u're not wearing your respectable g*y clothing this morning, are u (James 2:3)?

most of us living in this wicked n perverse society have arisen n wiped the slumber from our eyes in regard to the KJB's lingo.

but some keep wearing the same clothes n hitting the snooze button.

3. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Maybe because you don't go around saying," This really urinates me off" and "Dung happens"

4. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

At least one Other member sees why the Hebrew makes use of the phrase to indicate the view of the ones as dogs while everyone else is in a tizzie

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So, let me get this straight... to say the KJV should have used a harsher word than "dung" in Philippians 3:8 is an attack on the KJV, but to say the NIV should have used a harsher word than "rubbish", it's not an attack on the NIV?

6. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do YOU? Or, do ya use the other words?

I NOW say, "That makes me ANGRY" and "What the hey?" or similar. I was once a sailor, and I can tellya that "cuss like a sailor" is NOT just a figura speech. the only sailors I was ever around that could out-cuss us were the BRITISH, with the Diggers(Aussies) right behind.

To me, cussing was the hardest-to-break habit I ever had. (I was never a drinker nor tobacco user.) It's a pretty insidious habit that can be a handicap in obtaining employment, etc. It took GOD'S POWER to end it in me.

But you're getting off the topic, HG. Some words that were 'proper English' 400 years ago no longer are. That's the opinion of SOCIETY, not any one person, so even if YOU see nothing wrong with a given word, you should take your audience into account before ya use it, lest you cause another to "stumble". I gave you the example of "bloody", a quite-proper word in American English, but quite offensive to most British & Australians. Thus, I try to avoid using that word at all on a public Internet board or any other public communication.

7. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

8. Forever settled in heaven

actually, as is plain for all to see, any misuse or insinuation is on the part of the respondent. the context (James 2) was provided. and in spite of that, someone who purportedly lives in a 1611 world could jump to rather postmodern conclusions.

but the point's been proven concerning the 1611 King's Lingo. and it was ironic to see, with a well-placed allusion to the KJB's own words, this KJBOist getting all bent outta shape n attacking the KJB's language.

#68 Forever settled in heaven, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2009
  9. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Certainly, if the occasion comes up. On the other hand I don't have a habit of casually conversing about such bodily functions. I seldom use the word.

10. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Thanks RSR. That was an interesting post.

A.F.

11. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

Urine is urine, dung is dung, he that pisseth against the wall is likened to a dog, and no matter how perverse some people get God's word will stand. Rubbish is sometimes sorted through and good can be found,yet dung in its present state has no value. Amazing the extent so many go to attacking and maligning the word of God. Sad, truly sad : (

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I guess you've never gardened before, huh?

Or ask my bunny what he thinks of his dung. Did you know that rabbits EAT their dung to get all of the nutrients they need to?

Not all dung is bad. :wavey:

13. AntennaFarmer

AntennaFarmer Member

Yuck, now I can't eat rabbit!

14. Harold Garvey

Harold Garvey New Member

I use manure. Rabbits are rabbits but the passages are speaking of human dung as useless.

15. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

#75 robycop3, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2009
  16. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.