1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a Deacon

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was agreeing with what I quoted in Sapper Woody's post, not passing judgement on you specifically (I neither know you nor think it's my place).

In my mind as a matter of principle, to refuse to repay a debt that is owed is stealing from the lender, since it actually is his money; and I'd bet the lender would agree.

#61 Arbo, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  2. HAMel

HAMel Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not judging any person. I am calling sin sin. It is a sin to steal. Not paying what you owe is stealing.

...one day, given the right circumstances, your attitude will change.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

You still don't have a clue. Not being able to repay a debt is not the same as "refusing" to pay a debt. Even Israel had a Sabbath year (as part of the LAW) in which all debt was erased. Our country has laws to protect not only the lender but the borrower as well. Our corrupt government has more mercy than you. That's pitiful.
    You also have no clue as to what bankruptcy entails. All property that has a lien against it automatically is returned to the lender. You do NOT get to keep it. Therefore what is being stolen? Not only that, you have to liquidate all your personal property until all you have left is $10,000 worth of personal items, car, and cash. If your car is worth $10,000 that's ALL you get to keep. The money from your liquidation goes into an account which is put under the authority of an attorney whose job it is to take this money and repay all your lenders.
    So in the end, your lenders are paid back and you are left with the shirt on your back. It's not as cut and dried as you want to make it seem.
    God saved me out of that situation for which I will be eternally grateful, but I worked with an attorney and the bank for over a year, so I know what bankruptcy entails which makes me all the more thankful to God for settling it in His own way and timing.
    BTW, I did have to sell everything I own down to that dollar figure in preparation for filing bankruptcy. (Just so you know that this "thief" did not get off scott free.)

4. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amy G- Again, neither do I know you nor do I consider it my business to make yours mine. Believe me when I say I pass no judgement.

I still am required to hold to my view on the larger subject of bankruptcy, though. For me it is a moral principle. Every dollar borrowed is owed, because it belongs to the lender.

#64 Arbo, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2011
  5. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Late addition to last post-

Amy G- I've reread this thread and nowhere have I called you a thief, implied you were, or even addressed you (with the exception of the question about your post #26). What gives?

If I have given legitimate cause for offence, it was not intentional; and I will apologize.

6. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

You mean if I quit going by what the Bible says? Like I've said before, I have been there. Chose not to declare bankrupcy, and worked for five solid years to repay what I owed, even though it was no fault of mine. You pretend as if since I worked and didn't declare bankrupcy that my situation was less pressing than those who did. You neither know me, or my situation, or how desperate I was.

Simply put, not paying what you owe is stealing. Doesn't matter if it is $100,000 or $1. Now, let's say for instance a person does not have the ability to pay the debt. Then they are still obligated Biblically to pay what they can, even if it lasts the rest of their life.

Now, I have to say that it is not the bankrupcy that I am necessarily against. It is not repaying what you owe. There was a story earlier about a man who did not have to repay his debtors, but did. If a person has to declare bankrupcy (in my mind would still be hurting his testimony) in order to have interest stop accruing, but then pays a certain amount each month until all that is owed is paid, then I can see where that wouldn't be stealing, as it is being rapaid. I would still counsel against it, however, as it would still hurt the testimony of the person.

Rather, it is better to go to a financial liason and have them talk to your creditors for you. Many times these liasons can get the creditors to stop interest, as long as you pay a set amount each month.