1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Should a pastor's financial situation....

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by SaggyWoman, Jul 14, 2007.

?
  1. No, absolutely not.

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. Yes, it should be. Absolutely.

21 vote(s)
    45.7%
  3. It is okay to run a credit check on a pastoral candidate.

25 vote(s)
    54.3%
  4. It isn't okay to run a credit check on a pastoral candidate.

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Other:

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I can deal with that, Brother Smith. I just want to testify how God worked the other job for me. I am the night watchman for a freight company at the repair/maint facility. The boss knows and encourages me to study while at work. I get about 3 hours in 20-30 minute shots each night. God is awesome.

2. pocadots1990

pocadots1990 Member

I believe the pastor should go through both a credit check and a background check. Churches don't do that because it gets to be too expensive, but most importantly, churches are (for a lack of a better word) too trusting.

3. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'll say this again.

A Credit Check can only reveal a part of the pastor's financial portrait.

A much better way to do this is to have a CPA put together a financial report on the pastoral candidate that does not show private information.

For example;

A credit check on a pastor might show a large debt load but no deliquent payments. This debt load could be well within an acceptable range based on the pastor's assets which are not revealed by a credit check.

The key issue is the balance sheet of the pastoral candidate. Does his assets outweigh his liabilities? Is he at least financially solvent?

When the CPA makes his findings known to the search committee he does not have to reveal any private information but can report simply that the candidate is financially responsible and has no outstanding credit problems.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Is a pastor's financial situation outlined in 1 Timothy for a requirement of an elder (managing you house well could be considered such, but many financial situations could have occured well before God called the man to become pastor, and your credit and financial situation can remain poor for years after)?
    If this is the case, do we also run credit checks on the other elders and deacons in the church before appointing them, since the requirements are the same? I'm quite surprised I'm the only one who voted no!

5. Joe

Joe New Member

There were two choices. I voted it isn't ok instead of absolutely not. You're not alone

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Depends on whether you want to giveth or taketh away..........;)

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

This probably isn't a bad idea either.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Where do you stop, then? Do you weigh them...do background checks...driving history...insurance premiums...grade point average...

9. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Background checks are important when dealing with children, and a lot of places are doing them now, Christian and not Christian.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You're right, come to think of it. Our church does this for nursery / childrens ministries.
    Should they be done on elders / deacons not invloved in childrens ministries, though?

11. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In a smaller church, smaller community, probably not.

May not be a bad idea in a larger community, larger church.

12. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I have seen cases where a Man left a good or high paying secular job to become Pastor of a Church. After several years of struggling along with that flock, the Lord moved them to a larger more prosperous congregation. I'm glad those Churches didn't use your measuring stick because they never would have got in the second Church.

I think most of us who live via the support of the saints know without God we couldn't make it.

Secondly, like Webdog implied, people get laid off, medical emergencies etc... I dont know if a financial report reveals how well a man manages his house. It is just that, a financial report and another piece of the puzzle.

Suppose the financial report reveals he wrote a bad check? Upon questioning him you learn he wrote the check to keep the lights on at the Church.

Maybe the CPA should do a christian check instead of a credit check??? :thumbs:

13. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

A number of years ago I was asked by a church in Maryland if I would consider coming as pastor. When I told them I would pray about it they sent me forms to check my credit, FBI background check and drugs. I called them and said I have no problem with this as long as I could get the same information from every member of the church. I have not heard from them since. Over the 30+ years in the ministry I have had many more problems from church members then from pastors. A pastor is not "hired" he is called! If you have a Godly bunch of folks in your church and you pray for a pastor. God will send the right man. The problem is our churches are carnal and they have to rely on carnal methods to get a pastor. My $.02.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How would John the Baptist have done? :)

FBI Agent:
    Hey, this guy is broke, homeless, eats bugs, and preaches "
    Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand".​

HankD​

15. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

KJVKid wrote:

What about the church that was mentioned in a post on page 1? I'll quote it here for you.

Did they not have a "Godly bunch of folks" in their church praying for a pastor? Since you obviously know this situation so well, please educate us about the "carnal methods" they used.

16. KJVkid

KJVkid New Member

CCR... I don't know anything about this church however I have been a pastor for over 30 years and MOST churches today are so far away from God they couldn't find a man of God period. IF they did they wouldn't keep him!

17. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

You are a good detective. I posted that page 1 quote, and it is about a church in Maryland. I have no idea, of course, whether KJVKid was in touch with that church, but it sounds plausible. They had been hurt so badly that they probably overcompensated.

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

So, is it safe to assume that you aren't going to answer my questions? I was hoping to get more than a simple condemnation for this particular churches so-called carnal and ungodly methods. You're so quick to condemn the church that hired/called (use whatever word you want) that particular "pastor", but I see nothing in your post condemning the actions of a "pastor" who lied. Why is that?

Since there was such a judgmental attitude being expressed, I wanted to find out whether there was knowledge behind the statements that were made about "carnal methods", or whether it was a case of that particular church being an easy target for somebody's wrath. I think I have my answer.